It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

On the official DF forums for Grim Fandango Remastered is stated that a new patch with several bug fixes has been released. This patch is already available on Steam. Does anybody know why it hasn't been made available on GOG yet?
Nephilim88: This patch is already available on Steam. Does anybody know why it hasn't been made available on GOG yet?
It's Saturday?
So what? The patch has been released yesterday, as it appears on DF official forums. I wished for a better motivation, to be honest...

P.S. For some reason, I'm not allowed to post links, but if you go on the DF website, then on the forums and in the "Grim Fandango bugs and technical support" section, you'll see a "changelog" thread.
Nephilim88: So what? The patch has been released yesterday, as it appears on DF official forums. I wished for a better motivation, to be honest...

P.S. For some reason, I'm not allowed to post links, but if you go on the DF website, then on the forums and in the "Grim Fandango bugs and technical support" section, you'll see a "changelog" thread.
It has to be uploaded by people. If DF didn't get it to GOG until later on friday (which is perfectly possible given that the US is hours behind Poland) then there might not have been time to upload it. As for today... see Gydion's post.
Give people a chance to upload it. If it's not up by Wednesday THEN complain.
I was not complaining, I was just asking... I forgot GOG is based in Poland...
Allright, waiting is the only option, I guess.
Post edited February 01, 2015 by Nephilim88
There's really no excuse. Steam has the patch. GOG does not. We pre-ordered from GOG and now we're the last to get the patch? WTF?
There are PEOPLE behind this. You CAN live without patch until Monday. It's not your blood.
Shadrac_ita: There are PEOPLE behind this. You CAN live without patch until Monday. It's not your blood.
Where do they manufacture you people? How do you get by being so anti-consumer?

I pre-ordered from GOG on the assumption that it would offer superior or at least equal service to Steam. Instead, GOG provides markedly inferior service. That is not acceptable.

Don't attack me because I'm mad I paid for shit service when the competitor is right across the street.
Post edited February 01, 2015 by suejak
In a place where people comes first than money.

You are not mad, but we have different point of views.

Steam is totally a different platform, with no customer protection at all (try to ask a refund).
With DRM.
With no price equality across regions.
With a vaste catalog of overpriced's AAA titles, that can lead to more profits.
With many people working only for publishing patches, and I hope they are not working 20/7 like many developers.

GOG is way smaller than them, and I want to support they vision of things, and maybe thanks to that, they can invest in more resources for them and us.

GOG Galaxy is a step forward.

Sorry for my long post.
Nah, I can respect that. You make a good point for compassion.
AFAIK, Steam lets developers basically just upload an update whenever they want with maybe a malware scan and it's sent straight to the client. For GOG, it has to be packaged into a patch installer or worst case scenario, based on how the developer packaged the game files, possibly even require a full redownload. There are pros and cons to each way, but one of the cons to the GOG way is that it can take slightly longer. The main pro is that you can keep a copy of every version in case a new version breaks something.
It's sunday, today, over here, at least for now (Portugal, GMT+0). I know Steam has the slight advantage of "convenience". Steam is more convenient than GOG because it's immediate, and in this day and age I can understand why so many people prefer to go with that. Still, you have to ask yourself "at what cost"?

Steam may seem more "user/consumer-friendly", at first sight, because they immediatly have patches available and update your games right off the bat, as long as you're connected to the internet and have their client running. This is a good thing for most users. At GOG, they take a bit more time because it isn't automated like Steam's patching service -- on Steam, it's all up to the devs and publishers of the game, as soon as they have a patch, they upload it and it's all automated, machines and servers and all that tech do all the job (Steam is a behemoth of the video game industry, with the millions of consumers they have, it wouldn't be possible to have this system workin in any other way) --, GOG has *actual* people testing the patches the developers send them, then wrapping them in the sweet and easy-to-use GOG installers, then uploading them. It's more morose than Steam's way of doing things, but you also get that sense of security that comes from the fact that you know actual people tested it and therefore it's more likely to work.

Plus, like others have said before me, GOG gives you a fair-price policy, making buying games on GOG cheaper than on Steam, for people like me, they offer you more bang for your buck, with exclusive goodies absolutely free of charge (on most games), their support actually works and it's usually stellar, they have a refund policy that has been tried and works flawlessly, when you buy the games you're indeed buying them, not *renting a service in order to play them via a semi-DRM-always-online-client*, it's ALL completely DRM-free and it all works offline, with no need for activation or checking of any kind. Obviously, it's a little sad that because of GOG being a smaller company than Steam we get these delays and sometimes we are treated as second-rate customers by the devs and publishers of the games, but what you get in return more than makes up for that, at least in my opinion.

There's also GOG's proprietary (fully DRM-free -- and optional) client, GOG Galaxy, in the works, for those who would prefer a more immediate experience, without having to manually download and apply patches to their installed GOG games, and offering full online experience with cross-platform support (if you buy a game on GOG you can theoretically play it online with people who bought the same game on Steam, when using the GOG Galaxy client). Stil, from the looks of it, Galaxy is still far from its release, as it's still in alpha phase, I think. But GOG is definitely working on it, because, unlike Steam, they actually care about their customers and they want to provide us with all the services they can think of, without ceasing to be the DRM-free store they have become known to be.

I don't care if Steam has a more immediate patching service, I would have still bought Grim Fandango here. I know the patches will come all the same, even if they take a little longer to be released. Oh, and since the fix doesn't address the ridiculous OpenGL 3.3. requirement (probably no fix ever will get rid of that absurd requirement), I'm still not able to play it, and my Grim Fandango Remastered will remain there, sitting proudly on my GOG digital shelf, until the day I manage to get the money to buy a computer that supports said OpenGL version. Which isn't going to be anytime soon.
I'm normally quite on the side of the GOG customers, but it seems that right now, Double Fine is just experimenting on Steam users.

Some Steamers are reporting problems with the framerate (way too high) since the latest update. I'd rather not have a GOG patch at present. I'm not sure it would qualify as a patch to begin with.

Apart from that, yes of course developers must understand that it is their duty to get patches as executable files to GOG ASAP. If they don't, all they do is to force GOG into the DRM swamp with client and auto updates. If it can't even be done properly with what essentially is a 16 year old game, how fucked are we in the future?
Post edited February 01, 2015 by Vainamoinen
I agree that it seems that there will be more patches for the game coming from Double Fine. The 1.2.2 patch while resolving some issues, seem to cause a few new, for a few users who reported that at the steam forums.

That said, the patch is probably coming anyway to GOG, unless they have some policy to wait for a few days for the patch to be tested (by the GOG staff (?) or elsewhere (Steam ) - highly unlikely ) and then aggregate it with a future patch. I am not aware of any such policy.
So, Steam users beta testers today, GOG users beta testers tomorrow (with a delay, probably overlapping with the issuing of a new patch).

It is a given that GOG lacks auto-updates and perhaps this wasn't much of an issue for oldies classics but it seems to be an issue with new games releases. That's a main reason they are working on the optional "galaxy" client. But lack of auto-updates is something that by now a GOG customer should already be aware of when buying a game here.

Btw, yes of course the remastered edition of Grim Fandango is a new game and not a 16+ year old game. The patches for it are developed now, and they are rushed to fix critical issues because it just came out (just like it happens with every other new tiltle). I don't really agree with the "oh no, now we are doomed" approach.
Post edited February 01, 2015 by PraetorianWolfie
We got the patch earlier today and we're working on getting the update out ASAP barring any technical issues that may or may not come up while testing the update.