It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I really like the concept behind GOG Galaxy, but I can't really get much use out of it due to really long boot-up times.

The application re-imports 2500+ games on _every_ launch which makes for a very tedious user experience.

Can you somehow make it remember all the games you have across all of your accounts?
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Daedolon: Can you somehow make it remember all the games you have across all of your accounts?
Unfortunately, it is very rare that there is any feedback from GOG on the forums (publically at least).

There are a couple of other applications that do well if you are looking for only a frontend. Launchbox and Playnite to my knowledge seem to be quite popular and work with grabbing your games list from the web, and importing metadata/images/music/video from their own databases/sites. Launchbox does have an odd memory footprint on my system, as it bounces between anywhere between .5-1Gb of RAM usage.
Daedolon: I really like the concept behind GOG Galaxy, but I can't really get much use out of it due to really long boot-up times.

The application re-imports 2500+ games on _every_ launch which makes for a very tedious user experience.

Can you somehow make it remember all the games you have across all of your accounts?
I have +10 years old computer, windows 7, ~2000 games, all integrations connected and for me GOG Galaxy 2 launches and load the data really fast, like 3 times faster than Steam. The data is stored locally on the computer so even if I am offline I can see all my games. The only integration that is acting slow and reimport the games on every launch is Humble Bundle.
So I'm assuming it's supposed to save everything to a cache after a full re-import?

For whatever reason that's not happening on my end and it always starts with 0 games in the library when I open the program and it takes up to a full minute before I can start playing games.
On my end, no powerful cpu and 8 GB RAM and an slow HD, it starts with 0 games but with 1080 games it takes around half a minute or less, sometimes. I am sure some games listing is cached in some way because some of them load from very close to automatically. It is not loading the list one for one. I can notice it seeing how fast and the listing order of games in the "recent" screen while it is loading.

A different thing is when those games are detected for the first time or when they are installed etc... for example when you install Galaxy for the first time or you import your game folder for the first time. It can be longer.

All of this said. I can agree the first post. I have detected around 1000 games in Galaxy. but, How can be the behivour and performance, load speed in libraries much bigger than those?

Greetings
Post edited May 15, 2020 by Gudadantza
For me it also every time starts from 0 games. I have over 10k games across all stores and it just takes forever until I can use Galaxy (around 2-3 minutes). Is there a way to force Galaxy to create the cache and stop syncing every time it starts?
I have over 4500 games, and every single time I re-open GOG Galaxy it frustratingly starts from zero. It takes forever (5 minutes+ sometimes), even though it's running off one of the fastest 2TB NVMEs on the market (WD Black SN850) and a cutting edge 8-core Ryzen rig with 32GB of fast DDR4.

Once its fully loaded GOG client uses over 1GB of ram as well (I assume because of how many games I have across all the services).

Seems like this is the way its designed (and a major flaw). Any way to fix this?
Google brought me here. I have the same problem (~4k games). Why is it "importing" on every startup? Is the development team not familiar with caching & async updates?
Still no fix ı guess ı move on from this software..
rapbrand3121: Still no fix ı guess ı move on from this software..
Same here. I would love to, but I still need a manager to install my GOG games. At this point I'd happily trim down the DB to only handle the GOG games, and that'd even be heavieer than I want. This thing drinks up 1.5 GB of Ram and consistently drains 7-8% of my CPU on my laptop, even after it finishes caching.
If the data about imported games was saved locally, it would be available immediately after launch like in Playnite. There should be an option in settings to allow for importing once every (list to choose from - at startup/every day/every 7 days/every 14 days/every month). It is pretty slow and I don't need to import the games every time I start the GOG Galaxy client...
Attachments:
Up until very recently, I was still running Win7x64 as my primary OS. (I "moved along" after a major system snafu... realizing that I had to rebuild the whole OS installation, I decided to "upgrade" to Win10, mainly to put an end to the "nagging" some software and platforms force on us.)

On my Win7x64 installation, GOG Galaxy 2.0 started and ran nearly instantaneously. However, on Win10x64, fully updated, it takes, as many others mention, nearly 5 minutes to fully start Galaxy... it stays at the "Log in to GOG Galaxy" popup screen while it apparently is doing SOMETHING (constant disk activity light, but no activity indicated on any of the GOG specific applets running in Process Explorer, though a TON going on within Windows Explorer... scanning pretty much my entire game drive, including directories unrelated to GOG (I'm not presently using integrations).

I'm unclear as to whether this is a Win10 issue, from Microsoft, or a Galaxy issue, from GOG. But it's truly annoying.

I almost get the impression this is a way of "spanking" the end-users who don't leave the client running in an "always on, from boot" state.