It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Matruchus: The same for drm-free games for other platforms (win, mac). You just get the installer from the developer. The only trick is that it is a bit hidden on the gamersgate download site :) The drm-free files are always under the name of the game in the top right corner of the site.
Could you be more specific?

See screenshot, I've tried every button on there that I see and all of them merely download the Gamersgate downloader file, not the installer.
Attachments:
capture.jpg (131 Kb)
Matruchus: The same for drm-free games for other platforms (win, mac). You just get the installer from the developer. The only trick is that it is a bit hidden on the gamersgate download site :) The drm-free files are always under the name of the game in the top right corner of the site.
OldFatGuy: Could you be more specific?

See screenshot, I've tried every button on there that I see and all of them merely download the Gamersgate downloader file, not the installer.
When you run the downloader it will start downloading the installer to a temporary subfolder in the same folder as the downnloader .exe.
Once it's done and it automatically decrypts and boots the installer itself, either copy that temp folder somewhere or viciously kill the downloader process in the task manager. That folder will have the fully off-line installer.
OldFatGuy: Could you be more specific?

grviper: When you run the downloader it will start downloading the installer to a temporary subfolder in the same folder as the downnloader .exe.
Once it's done and it automatically decrypts and boots the installer itself, either copy that temp folder somewhere or viciously kill the downloader process in the task manager. That folder will have the fully off-line installer.
He knows that. What he is asking is where exactly can he download the setup files directly, without using the GamersGate downloader.
Niggles: Whoops i should have specified casual drm free games :D
Grargar: Since a lot of games have been dubbed "casual", I wil assume you refer to GamersGate's casual filter. In that case, here are some recommendations for games unavailable on GOG:

- Braid
- Crazy Machines
- Crazy Taxi (Also available as part of the Dreamcast Collection, but has Starforce)
- Dragon's Lair
- IREM Arcade Hits
- Mega Drive Classics Collection Volumes 1-5 (Not the Gold edition, it's more expensive)
- Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
- Sonic the Hedgehog 1+2+3
- Space Channel V - Part 2 (Also available as part of the Dreamcast Collection, but has Starforce)
- Swords and Sorcery Underworld
- The Tale of Alltynex
- World of Goo
thanks for the list. Sometimes its hard to find good casual ones with so many to choose from :) (have Puzzle Quest COTW --- i never realised it was available DRM free.. awesome game)
Grargar: Since a lot of games have been dubbed "casual", I wil assume you refer to GamersGate's casual filter. In that case, here are some recommendations for games unavailable on GOG:

- Braid
- Crazy Machines
- Crazy Taxi (Also available as part of the Dreamcast Collection, but has Starforce)
- Dragon's Lair
- IREM Arcade Hits
- Mega Drive Classics Collection Volumes 1-5 (Not the Gold edition, it's more expensive)
- Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
- Sonic the Hedgehog 1+2+3
- Space Channel V - Part 2 (Also available as part of the Dreamcast Collection, but has Starforce)
- Swords and Sorcery Underworld
- The Tale of Alltynex
- World of Goo
Niggles: thanks for the list. Sometimes its hard to find good casual ones with so many to choose from :) (have Puzzle Quest COTW --- i never realised it was available DRM free.. awesome game)
I bought Braid, Crazy Machines Gold, Crazy Machines 2 Gold and World of Goo
retails from Amazon, all DRM free.

Braid is a masterpiece. This game is art through and through and you can only see what the story is really about, if you play it until the end.
Post edited April 10, 2014 by Klumpen0815
Niggles: (have Puzzle Quest COTW --- i never realised it was available DRM free.. awesome game)
There is also Puzzle Quest Galactrix, which is a sci-fi take on Puzzle Quest with hexagons, but I really didn't like it. And then, there is also Puzzle Kingdoms by the same developers, which I have not played yet. Then, there is Puzzle Quest 2, which I won't link, because A) they reduced the RPG focus, B) it has SecuROM.
Gamersgate is mostly a Steam reseller, so if one buys games that are listed as being Steam games, then you basically get a Steam key and redeem it on Steam and have the same end result as if you bought it from Steam directly. In that sense Gamersgate is worth dealing with because it's another place that has sales on Steam games that might not be on sale elsewhere at the moment. I've bought a handful of games there and the Steam titles were as I said above.

Then there are non-Steam games and I've had to download a few of them and compared to Steam or GOG it was a bit of an annoyance but it did work in the end. I believe I got Alpha Protocol there and the original Aliens vs Predator and maybe another one or two that were direct downloads. I don't remember what it entailed as it's been a while but it was kind of caveman-like compared to other modern digital distribution services. I never had any real problems though either, but the site could be more friendly and modern with some of its offerings. I would recommend people use Gamersgate even if it is just sticking to Steam-only games as it's really simple in that case and another option for sales promos.
skeletonbow: Gamersgate is mostly a Steam reseller, so if one buys games that are listed as being Steam games, then you basically get a Steam key and redeem it on Steam and have the same end result as if you bought it from Steam directly. In that sense Gamersgate is worth dealing with because it's another place that has sales on Steam games that might not be on sale elsewhere at the moment. I've bought a handful of games there and the Steam titles were as I said above.

Then there are non-Steam games and I've had to download a few of them and compared to Steam or GOG it was a bit of an annoyance but it did work in the end. I believe I got Alpha Protocol there and the original Aliens vs Predator and maybe another one or two that were direct downloads. I don't remember what it entailed as it's been a while but it was kind of caveman-like compared to other modern digital distribution services. I never had any real problems though either, but the site could be more friendly and modern with some of its offerings. I would recommend people use Gamersgate even if it is just sticking to Steam-only games as it's really simple in that case and another option for sales promos.
Non steam to Steam is like around 2:1 ratio.Just saying.:) (its probably higher as that number is using drm free filter v steam)
Post edited April 10, 2014 by Niggles
Niggles: Non steam to Steam is like around 2:1 ratio.Just saying.:) (its probably higher as that number is using drm free filter v steam)
Never really noticed, but it could be because most of the games I'm actually interested in are mostly games that turn out to be on Steam and end up just not paying attention to others unless they catch my eye somehow. The Aliens game is one I always thought was awesome and wanted to go through. Had a copy of it from someone before but no idea where it is in the pile so I just bought it cheap. Alpha Protocol was one I've seen highly recommended and had a look at and thought it was up my alley. Few others like that too, but normally most of the indie and other games that haven't yet made it to Steam don't appeal to me much so I don't take much notice of them. :)
wow they have some cool games but that "casual" section was like going through one of alawars 100 game cds you get for 9.99 at wal-mart (my cousin has 3 )
Telika: Almost decent. I did buy a couple of games there, quite some time ago. I don't anymore.

1) i do not like their 'fidelization' devices, like coins rewards for buying games, or exp, or whatever - it makes spending money a metagame by itself, it plays on gamers reflexes, i find it a bit creepy and manipulative. And those who demand the same on gog are idiots.

2) I'm tired to have to check for drm in small letters each time i browse a catalogué. Being happy to see a game, and then disappointed because it's infested by drm, is annoying. Also, like all these shops, it became, with time, a bit of a steam outlet. Tiresome.

3) In order to make their drm-free games actually drm-free, a tedious download workaround is required, which i expect to be prevented at some point (is it already) ? Their notion of drm-free is dishonnest, because if you simply follow their instructions, absolutely none of their game is drm-free.

Three reasons why i've progressively ceased to even check their site.

They have one good thing going for them, though : the ability to regift the games you bought and didn't download yet. This béats the gog system of having to decide prior to acquisition whether you get it for yourself or someone else...
First i excuse for this very very late reply BUT i have GG aswell and i have to reply on this post
i dont bump this topic becuase i wanted to necro it, but beacuse i wanted to tell that GOG is not that bad as some people sometimes reply in this gog forum, i think that compared to others GOG is the best
and dont get attrackted by the fact all other gamesites have gazillions of more and new games
then GOG has, cause i rather buy with GOG who might have less games but has the best service
the buying at a site that has a very lousy support (the sales guys and the other paid staff, not the volunteers they do a good job)

I have quite a lot games there, cause i also like casual games
BUT i do have to agree with the reply above cause everything is fine and dandy aslong you dont get any problemns, and have to call for support...

then sh.t happens....

I had trouble with 2 games i bought there:

fortix 1 and 2 which are small casuals, nothing earth shattering but the gameplay is evry addictive
so i bought these on GG
1.99 euro for fortix 1 if i remember it well and 7.99 for fortix 2 (DRM free)

BUT the games are GPU bashers things hot up tot 75 and more degrees celcius
so i filed a question/complaint in the tutor
(in order to play thesetiny but addictive games i bought them again on steam , lives is bad isnt it)

the sales guys were not amused and explained that the developers are the ones who will supply and decide if and when patches are absolutely needed.
thats bad practice in my opinion, cause now we the user have to go and find patches?
Bad very bad....

so i seemed to have told them that GOG does it for us, again those sales were not amused :D
because i spoke so good about GOG.

Now i have a game from GG that has sounds but plays none... not on XP not on win7, the game runs fine and smooth, no bugs, no crashes.

BUT the menu (textfile) shows a ./music folder
funny thing: there IS no music folder installed by the setup :D
So that game looks like a bad rip off a cd and they forgot to include the music folder in the setup.... bad very bad practice

the game : Pranksterz

Then another game that should run on XP flawlessly, and it also doesnt....
Restricted Area

it crashes... and most of the time you have to restart the windows

So i am quite pissed with GG,

not for the sales
not for the prices
not for the slow downloads
not for the hard to use menus or site

but for the support.....
thats wrong

The one good support is a volunteer he does his job very very good and fast.

The guys that are on a payrole however
these are slow, and most of the time they seem grumpy in their replies
(or how do you call them when it seems they always have a foul mood?)
Anyways they dont sound too happy with what they are doing, in my opinion.

All things about updates and needed patches are up to the ones who distributed the game they say, so basically we have no real support regarding bugged games on GG

Looks like the old saying: " Son, you are on your own"

And that is the one bad point

Those BLC I think it works on GG , you buy loads of it using one of the available payments (i use psc)
then the order is made by checking use BLC in the payment and hoppa, it is very faster done then entering the psc numbers or any other info needed.
Support from the big guys at GG thats where the big problem lies, its slow, and there seem to be loads and loads off tickets, all showing that there are many flaws.

So GOG is simply the best !!!
but i already mentioned that before :D
Its gonna end up like Occupy Wall Street.

Years and no Progress.
Coincidence, I just happen to be browsing the GG page when this thread was kind of necroed and I found this:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CSW/cthulhu-saves-the-world

I hate to make a link to another site in here, and GOG will always remain by bread & butter, but GG does have nice DRM free titles from time to time. The way I see it, I have 450 + games here and 5 from there so there is no questioning my loyalties. :D
tinyE: Coincidence, I just happen to be browsing the GG page when this thread was kind of necroed and I found this:

I hate to make a link to another site in here, and GOG will always remain by bread & butter, but GG does have nice DRM free titles from time to time. The way I see it, I have 450 + games here and 5 from there so there is no questioning my loyalties. :D
i excused for the bumping

and yes they do have drm free... but....

the best titles like pillars... is loaded with DRM on GG
i already informed some users on GG with a PM that GOG has DRM free :D and the purchase be better done here :D
So not all is nice and dandy on GG.

Support is very slow....
tinyE: Coincidence, I just happen to be browsing the GG page when this thread was kind of necroed and I found this:

thank you, this was the one i had wishlisted but deleted it, i forgot the name but now that i see the screenshots i rememberd i wanted to try this one out.

i installed under XP and got a XNA4 setup? ahwell lets see if it works

okay that game runs, funny thing is that if you choose load game, and there is no slot saved you cant go back to the main menu, i alread reconfigured the settings to use keyboard.

strange :D
also strange is that xna4 was installed but asked again to reinstall/repair
it also talks about client?
.netframework 4 client profile installing?

whatever :D the game works

edit: sec. update :D because xp is old
all is okay now

now to install it under win 7
Post edited December 28, 2014 by gamesfreak64