It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Serious Sam, Ghost Recon, Far Cry 1, 2, and more 60% off!

Do you like shooting things? Most gamers do, which makes the mainstream media overly excited and judgemental far too often. But let's not go there. We know that gaming shootouts are kept well-within the boundaries of virtual worlds and are all about fun, challenge, and feeling bad-ass while you relax in front of your computer screen. So, putting aside all controversy around first-person perspective shooters, let's jump right into action with 21 games that go "pew pew pew", "ra-tatatah", and "boom" for your entertainment. This weekend, you can get them with an explosive 60% off discount in our [url=http://www.gog.com/promo/fps_legends_weekend_promo_221113]Spectacular FPS Shootout promo! Let's take a look on some of the titles, shall we?

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - War Chest takes you to the fronts of World War II and let's you take part in some of the allied forces most crucial operations. The game became famous for creating a believable and suggestive image of battle conditions with a real infantry soldier in the role of the game's hero. The War Chest edition includes the original campaign that will take you from German bases in Algiers, through the D-Day landing in Normandy, to the occupied France, and both Spearhead and Breakthrough expansions. Enlist now, for only $3.99!

Too much realism for your taste? You prefer fast-paced action with hordes of enemies coming for your bad-ass protagonist and absurdly overpowered weapons at his disposal to cut the baddies to little pieces? No problem! We've got you covered with Serious Sam: The First Encounter and Second Encounter, games that became famous exactly for the type of old-school gameplay you're looking for. Well, that and excellent epic level design. Only $ 2.39 each!

Far Cry is the game that changed the way people perceive video games, thanks to the astonishing CryENGINE. In terms of lifelike graphics, physics, advanced enemy AI, and sandbox style FPS-ing, there is "before Far Cry" and "after Far Cry". Far Cry 2 took the game realism to another level--fully destructible environment, wind, rain, day, and night that affect enemy AI, and a beautiful African setting. The game features a spectacular story presented in a huge single player campaign which takes form 40 to 70 hours to beat. Far Cry 2: Fortune's Edition contains the full Far Cry 2 game, including all previously released patches and the Far Cry 2 Fortunes DLC with additional content like new weapons and vehicles. Pick both games for only $3.99 each.

That's just a small taste of all the hardcore FPS action you can get in our Spectacular FPS Shootout promo until Tuesday, November 26, at 4:59AM GMT. Don't miss out!
I picked up both UT99 (which I played the crap out of not too long ago) and UT04 (which is mired in the drunken hazes of memory). I think I'm enjoying '04 more than '99 at this point, though I'm not too keen on Double Domination myself or those random 1-on-1 CTF matches.
deathmyrk: [snip]
That has to be one of the most in depth and well though-out analyses I've seen about someone trying to decide between two games in a series. Very nice. +1
Post edited November 23, 2013 by AdamR
SpiderFighter: I'm more partial to UT than 2004, but I believe I'm in the minority. Also, when I checked the servers today, there were more 2004 games than UT.

Which one did you decide to go with? Sorry I didn't see this until now.
deathmyrk: Still deliberating over UT/UT2004. Current memory makes me understand why UT99 is far superior than UT2004. UT99 did a lot of what most FPS didn't. It was original, provided some of the most brutal weapons in the market, and the combat was addictive. The map design was perfect, and if I remember correctly, the online servers were very functional. UT took a lot of risks.

UT2004 did not try to do anything different, outside of tweaking things, but what they lost is a game that stood out from all of the rest. If I remember correctly, they were neck-in-neck against Quake, and I do remember the game having a visceral, frenetically chaotic feel to the battles. Although what was "new" back then for FPS has become so overly trite and overused, the quick speed overkill is a hook that most FPS designers bank on these days. What also threw me off was Onslaught. Don't get me wrong. I remember the feature was astoundingly awesome, but in itself it just seemed to copy off of other games for its time. That is not to say the inclusion takes away redeeming value from the game, as it does offer more depth to it. But in the end, UT2004 didn't take quite as many risks as had UT; it did not seem as well polished or complete.

UT99 is exceptional because it brought me back to the gritty FPS multiplayer games of yesteryear: Perfect Dark, Goldeneye 007, etc. I know, I only named N64 titles exclusively (for shame). All I had back in the day for PC that was like UT99 was just UT99. I mean there was Duke Nukem, Hexen, and Quake that I have had, but I never played them online. UT99 was the first. I really haven't seen another game of its type before. And, really, some games have come close, but not so much.

I know UT2004 is still more popular than UT99, but that might mirror the type of gamers who are drawn to one or the other. Players who are more into recent FPS will more likely fall into the realm of UT2004, while gamers who are nostalgic may fall into UT99. From that, could it be that UT99 has a more mature community? I have been turned completely away from the most recent online FPS games I have played (COD, Halo 4) because of the lack of maturity of certain players. I have Battlefield Bad Company 2, but because of the experiences I have endured with the two titles aforementioned, I don't think I am missing anything away.

I dunno, I grew up as a teen in a different age, with a different type of audience. I used to love FPS games until about 5 years ago, when developers were looking for something different that I did not find agreeable, and from it I feel that a lot has been lost. In any case, call it nostalgia, I am dead-set on snagging me a copy of UT99.
Also, UT had the greatest multiplayer map of all time, which inspired numerous future games (such as Halo) - "Facing Worlds". Every modern game I play seems to have some sort of map that is similar to Facing Worlds.
Just getting back to this. And forewords: it always helps if you think of Far Cry 2 as a GTA-clone (in first person view), not a similar FPS game to the first Far Cry, or Crysis games. That helps to understand some of the gaming mechanism better IMHO (because they are usually quite similar in other GTA games too, but not on other FPS games)

IAmSinistar: I like the sandbox world concept, as I quite enjoyed Fallout 3 and Red Dead Redemption. The incurable illness aspect sounds like it would pretty much ruin my enjoyment, though. I am not good with those kinds of persistent penalties in games, it detracts from my ability to focus on and enjoy the main elements.
Smannesman: It's not that bad, you get several attacks of blurry vision after 45 minutes or something and on the third attack you pass out and wake up in a clinic or church. What really bothers me about it is that it doesn't add anything to the game.
I agree the malaria is kinda useless effect in Far Cry 2, not really adding anything to the game. On the other hand, I didn't feel it detracted much from it either. What it just meant in practice was:

- Every now and then you'd get a blurry vision, meaning a malaria attack. You just press the healing button to take a pill to cure the attack (not the whole disease), and you're back on track instantly.

- Rarely you find out that you are running out of pills. So it means you have to execute one special mission (I think it was always "deliver passports to refugees"), after which you get a new can of malaria pills. After that you can again forget about the disease for a long time (besides having to press that health button occasionally when you get a blurry vision), until the next time you run out of them.

I never got to the state that you mentioned, ie. passing out and ending up in the church or something, but maybe I was just diligent about going for those malaria pill missions as soon as it seemed I was going to run out of them.

In a way I found it a similar, and even less irritating, special mission as in e.g. GTA San Andreas the girlfriend "missions", or the attacks of rival gangs to your turf. In those cases you also had to drop everything else you were doing at the time, and concentrate on either taking one of your girlfriends out, or go kill the rival gang members attacking your area... or face the consequences.

I must say I personally found those extra activities in GTA San Andreas worse, at least at one point of the game I felt my areas were constantly being attacked by rival gangs, and e.g. yesterday when I was hunting to get 100% of the gang tags and photo snapshots (using my new rocket pack, yay!), I was irritated to quite often getting reports "You missed your date with Denise!" etc. as I was busy finding the hidden objects. Then again, the girlfriends are mostly optional in GTA SA, I guess I could just forget about them...

Smannesman: Personally I found the respawning checkpoints to be more annoying, I would've liked it if I could've killed everybody there and afterwards it would always be safe/empty.
I get it from a game standpoint, you know that it makes sure that you'll always have battles to fight. But personally I just find it tedious.
It would have been silly if the enemies would not respawn at all in Far Cry 2, because then you would indeed be driving in an empty world void of any enemies or opposition quite soon. Again, it helps to think this a GTA clone where you are constantly driving the same areas over and over again after your missions, not a generic FPS where you move from one area and level to another, never coming back. Think of e.g. GTA SA where enemy gangs, policemen, pedestrians or other cars wouldn't respawn, It would be an empty world quite soon.

However, as it has been said, the implementation of the enemy respawn in Far Cry 2 could have been done better, because it can be unclear to someone when exactly the respawn happens. I think it was confirmed before that it happens if you enter a new map (e.g. if you exit a map area and come back right away, the enemies are respawned in that area you had just left). So this is mostly annoying if you keep going back and forth all the time, but less so if you are just driving one way to your next objective. Don't go over the borders of the current map, unless you are really going to travel somewhere else.

I personally would have preferred that respawning (of the whole gameworld) would have happened only when you e.g. receive a new mission, or maybe it could have been based on elapsed time. I presume it was made this way due to memory limitations of the console versions, ie. only one map is kept in the memory of the system at any time, and when a new map/area is loaded, everything is resetted on it. And the PC version has the same.

Also, remember that when the enemies in the checkpoints/outposts respawn, also the ammo and healthpacks on those outposts respawn. If you feel you don't need any extra ammo or health packs, you can usually just forget about the respawning enemies and either drive through most of the outposts at full speed (taking little damage to your car, which you can easily fix yourself without penalty when the chase cools down), or drive offroad to avoid the respawned enemies (and ammo/health).

So if I felt I was running out of ammo or health syringes, I quite often used the respawning mechanism to my advantage to replenish them.
Post edited November 24, 2013 by timppu
Strong promo.
Wow. I have almost every single game on this list (in box or GOG form) except two. System Shock 2 and Blake Stone: Planet Strike are missing. Maybe I'll pick up the second Blake Stone game.

Damn good collection here other than that.
Elmofongo: Also stay away from Far Cry 1, get Crysis 1 instead.
Oh really? I put it on my wishlist cause I heard it's open world and has quite a good story. Since I usually suck at shooters, story is important for me.
Might have to watch a let's play or something before buying it. Or do you have any other recommendations (this goes to everyone reading this post :D).
Elmofongo: Also stay away from Far Cry 1, get Crysis 1 instead.
Reever: Oh really? I put it on my wishlist cause I heard it's open world and has quite a good story. Since I usually suck at shooters, story is important for me.
Might have to watch a let's play or something before buying it. Or do you have any other recommendations (this goes to everyone reading this post :D).
Its not open world as in a one big giant landmass like Morrowind or San Andreas or even later Far Cry games just level to level, but the lands are big so the game is sort of like a Halo campaign (wide open areas, but the linear go straight foward)

And the story is meh infact I barely paid attention, thats how unimmersive it is and neither are the characters.

And be prepared to get you ass handed to you by Trigens and awfully observant Soldiers because the stealth is somewhat broken. And the lack of quicksave few/far in between checkpoints.
Elmofongo: And be prepared to get you ass handed to you by Trigens and awfully observant Soldiers because the stealth is somewhat broken.
It's not broken. Seriously, I don't know where people are getting this from. Ever since I got the silenced MP5 I've been killing the vast majority of mercenaries without ever being seen and without ever feeling that they see me when they shouldn't - with very few exceptions when I'm crawling in grass and feel that I should be fully covered. But even then, the "attention meter" fills up so slowly that I can easily hide before they have spotted me.
Elmofongo: And be prepared to get you ass handed to you by Trigens and awfully observant Soldiers because the stealth is somewhat broken.
F4LL0UT: It's not broken. Seriously, I don't know where people are getting this from. Ever since I got the silenced MP5 I've been killing the vast majority of mercenaries without ever being seen and without ever feeling that they see me when they shouldn't - with very few exceptions when I'm crawling in grass and feel that I should be fully covered. But even then, the "attention meter" fills up so slowly that I can easily hide before they have spotted me.
I know I always take the MP5 with me along with Sniper Rifle, M4, and Rocket Launcher. But don't expect Thief level stealth. The stealth in Crysis is WAY better and no the Cloaking is not 100% overpowered it drains and if you move to fast it drains faster. Just walking should takew about a minute until the Cloak disengages, but also the enemy AI is more improved and you can even hide in foliage and they won't see you even without cloaking, provided of course your not too close to them.
I picked up UT:GOTY last year, and only just now got around to installing it. I've been out of the gaming loop for quite a while, so I don't know how modern shooters play, but oh man, is UT99 a ton of fun!!!
mkell_226: I picked up UT:GOTY last year, and only just now got around to installing it. I've been out of the gaming loop for quite a while, so I don't know how modern shooters play, but oh man, is UT99 a ton of fun!!!
Agreed, UT99 is still great (although when I played an online match with a friend a few weeks ago we got our asses kicked by some psychopath and I could hardly call that fun - it felt like fighting a perfect bot :P). UT2004 is the best in the series, though, IMO, and provides by far most variety, not even counting all the mods and maps made by the community. UT3 isn't bad either but the "problem" is that it's not modern at all - it's like UT99 with improved graphics and vehicles on some maps. And apparently a modding community never quite emerged for that one.
pds41: the Crysis games use that current gen console "washed out" look on colours that's supposed to look realistic, but I find depressing.
Reality is depressing.
Post edited November 24, 2013 by F4LL0UT
Thanks Gog, now I`ll get UT2004 and Medal of Honor. system shock and farcry saga can wait... :D
F4LL0UT: Reality is depressing.
That's why I play games. :)
Post edited November 24, 2013 by AdamR