It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Crosmando: instead when the backers on Kickstarter starting asking for DRM-free, they gave in and outright lied

They managed to negotiate an exception, but without compatibility with future expansions/DLC.
How did they lie about that then?
Pheace: How did they lie about that then?
Because they said it would be available to the public DRM-free, not just backers. At best they made irresponsible promises they couldn't keep and at worst they outright lied.
How is Microsoft's behavior unacceptable? I'm as against DRM as anyone could be, but everyone knows Microsoft's policy on copy protection, it's public knowledge, and the fact that Microsoft owns the Shadowrun IP and it's under license to HBS was displayed clearly on both the Kickstarter page and the Shadowrun Returns/HBS website.

Seems pretty obvious that HBS simply withheld the information because they didn't have the stomach to actually tell backers that part of their license agreement with Microsoft required that the game be distributed with copy protection.

It was a simple mistake, but just stating it clearly at the beginning of the Kickstarter, "We cannot offer a fully DRM-free version of the game because Shadowrun is under license from Microsoft and the license requires we distribute it with copy protection." Sure it would of turned some people off, but at least the reasoning would be clear and out in the open.

But hindsight is never perfect, and I'm sure HBS understand they shouldn't have kept it a secret until a month before the game was to be released.
Pheace: How did they lie about that then?
Because the DRM-free version will be gimped, and won't be able to accept any expansions/DLC beyond the Berlin campaign, also the fact is that that gimped version won't be available to the public in general, only backers. Haven't you been reading?
Post edited May 10, 2013 by Crosmando
I have but it was weeks ago, didn't remember them saying it would be available to the public, just the backers, which they do.
Pheace: I have but it was weeks ago, didn't remember them saying it would be available to the public, just the backers, which they do.
yeah, they said it will be available drm-free for all.
does anyone know how many backers requested a refund?
Post edited May 12, 2013 by Trilarion
Trilarion: anyway
Well now I'm just curious.
do you mean steam or are they doing drm for none steam copies
Trilarion: does anyone know how many backers requested a refund?
Nope. And HBS would probably not give out that information - let's be honest, they weren't exactly forthcomming with information about DRM either, so why would they be about this ;)
I was going to ask for a refund but other things happened and HBS, their behaviour, their game etc just dropped in importance for a while. By the time I remembered, I felt it was probably too late. So they can keep my cash, but there wont be more.
Someone has posted a let's play of a user-created map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBpDvwf0mP4
mondo84: Someone has posted a let's play of a user-created map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBpDvwf0mP4
After watching Let's Players like ChipCheezumLPs, Psychedelic Eyeball, and others that are similar, I don't think I can ever watch Let's Plays like this.
Looks like release is set for July 25.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/512751
I wanted to make a witty remark about that date apparently still being in June, but they address this in the update, thereby ruining the joke...

I did not back this project, but after the controversies surrounding it, I'm rather interested how it will turn out (particularly because it will be the first of the "big" kickstarter games that is completed).
Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded should be finishing up pretty soon too; I think they claimed that -they'd- be the first to complete. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
FTL finished ages ago!