It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Decivre: through Steam, with DRM.
Not confirmed Steam version will have DRM.
Neobr10: Even big companies like Activision and Bethesda use Steam's servers for their games instead of hosting their own for fuck's sake.
What is the Nexus?

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/

Mods don't require steam workshop. And is the nexus even official, or is it fan made?
Neobr10: Even big companies like Activision and Bethesda use Steam's servers for their games instead of hosting their own for fuck's sake.
Immoli: What is the Nexus?

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/

Mods don't require steam workshop. And is the nexus even official, or is it fan made?
fan made completely.

And it is run by fans.
Post edited April 10, 2013 by amok
Could a place like Mod DB serve as a platform for storing and distributing user content and mods for the DRM-free version?
I'll get the Steam version as I'm not that against Steam to get an inferior version (if we have to make a choice between the two versions). Sure I would prefer a GOG version for example any day of the week but I'll have to settle for the Steam version. And make no mistake the DRM free version is inferior. Unless you really expect the game to be bug free and not require patches.

And if they ever do another kickstarter I'll be sure to stay away.
Post edited April 10, 2013 by Aningan
mondo84: Could a place like Mod DB serve as a platform for storing and distributing user content and mods for the DRM-free version?
Mod DB... that's basically Desura, isn't it?
SimonG: Anyway, as with the whole DRM ideology itself, this discussion is ultimately pointless and insignificant. I personally expect more Kickstarters going this way. Especially once the first batch is delivered and 98% have redeemed their Steam keys.

I am very, very happy to have backed this game, being in the credits, having a shirt, some tags and (hopefully) a truly great game
You argument is invalid - even I will redeem Steam key, but that doesn't mean I'd back this KS if I knew they would release DLC Steam exclusive.

I'd like to point out that I'm perfectly fine with Kickstarters that are Steam-only (except I'm not backing them), but right now it looks like they were fine with DRM-free when they wanted my money, but after they got them, then they think it's ok to give me something that they won't support later.

I'm not going to buy DLC for Steam version, so I don't think that's good business for HBS.

Right now they say that it will be easier for them to use Steam. I really can't see why they can't use Humble Store to distribute DLC, it's just as easy, as creating exe and putting it on Humble Store. Not really hard to achieve.

And last thing - big publishers may not be interested in DRM-free people, there are not that many of them. But small devs should think to sell as many units as possible. There are many devs who used DRM for years and when they finally went DRM-free they said that DRM was nonsense from the beginning.

Anyway, I'm not happy with HBS, but I think they will change their mind. If they don't trust gamers, I'll be happy if they announce that DLC will be DRM-free after 3-6 months.
Aningan: I'll get the Steam version as I'm not that against Steam to get an inferior version (if we have to make a choice between the two versions). Sure I would prefer a GOG version for example any day of the week but I'll have to settle for the Steam version. And make no mistake the DRM free version is inferior. Unless you really expect the game to be bug free and not require patches.

And if they ever do another kickstarter I'll be sure to stay away.
I think they will provide steam key to everyone + you will be able to download DRM-free copy.
Post edited April 10, 2013 by SLP2000
mondo84: Could a place like Mod DB serve as a platform for storing and distributing user content and mods for the DRM-free version?
amok: Mod DB... that's basically Desura, isn't it?
Yea I only realized a couple months ago that Mod DB was connected to and more or less run by Desura. But I think Mod DB has content for non-Desura games as well, like Half-Life 2 mods. But I'm not sure if those HL2 mods are standalone games or require HL2 to run.
I'm new to all this. Was there ever a GOG version planed? Steam is okay, but it's not my first choice.
amok: Mod DB... that's basically Desura, isn't it?
mondo84: Yea I only realized a couple months ago that Mod DB was connected to and more or less run by Desura. But I think Mod DB has content for non-Desura games as well, like Half-Life 2 mods. But I'm not sure if those HL2 mods are standalone games or require HL2 to run.
do you need an account to download though? Either Mod DB or Desura. If the game is DRM free, then there really would not be any difference between this and steam (as with Nexus for larger files) - it requires a third party account. Does it?

and you get non-desura games mods through Desura, all the Halflife mods are there (example - http://www.desura.com/mods/no-more-room-in-hell)
oldschool: Was there ever a GOG version planed?
No.
Post edited April 10, 2013 by amok
I think you need an account (just a login name), but it's not prohibitive at all. If the content is "DRM-free" then it's no different then logging into GOG's site and downloading a game, then doing with it as one pleases. Same with Desura itself - you can download games DRM-free and save the installers.

I guess I'm trying to say, maybe HBS could consider using Desura/ModDB to distribute their DRM-free version (GOG also, hopefully). But even GOG users could download mods and other stuff from ModDB and use it in their DRM-free version (which would be the same version as that on Desura).
Post edited April 10, 2013 by mondo84
amok: do you need an account to download though? Either Mod DB or Desura. If the game is DRM free, then there really would not be any difference between this and steam (as with Nexus for larger files) - it requires a third party account. Does it?
You don't need an account to download anything unless you have to pay for it on Desura. When you click a link you click view stand alone downloads and you get a direct link to the file. Same for bought purchases if you are logged in.
Damn you steam, and worse Steam is pretty much fucked up on my laptop (it still works on my bros desktop) because I have left it offline for too long that it basically won't turn back online because I forgot to update so Steam offline is really not Offline.

SimonG: Anyway, I'm done discussing it.

I had imagined spending my free day playing games and ferociously masturbating. In the end, I spend it arguing and ferociously masturbating.

Lucky for me I had the smart part of the community to discuss with.

Anyway, as with the whole DRM ideology itself, this discussion is ultimately pointless and insignificant. I personally expect more Kickstarters going this way. Especially once the first batch is delivered and 98% have redeemed their Steam keys.

I am very, very happy to have backed this game, being in the credits, having a shirt, some tags and (hopefully) a truly great game
Hey SimonG long time no see, did you see my Amnesia thread?

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/i_have_beaten_amnesia_the_dark_descent/page1
Post edited April 10, 2013 by Elmofongo
Fenixp: That as long as they're open about it, it's up to people to vote with their money.
apocolypse600: That's my issue with it though. The Kickstarter ended almost a year ago now. So you can't vote with your wallet - they already have your money. I guess technically they are fulfilling their promise of a DRM free game, but if feels a bit dodgy to me.
If it was advertised as a DRM free game, I'd call BS on it.
amok: do you need an account to download though? Either Mod DB or Desura. If the game is DRM free, then there really would not be any difference between this and steam (as with Nexus for larger files) - it requires a third party account. Does it?
Fictionvision: You don't need an account to download anything unless you have to pay for it on Desura. When you click a link you click view stand alone downloads and you get a direct link to the file. Same for bought purchases if you are logged in.
hm. You definitely need an account to upload a mod to Mod DB. I am trying to figure out how to download without having one...I only get the option to install Desura (which I have from before). I can see how to get them from Desura, yes, same as downloading a demo.