It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Indie Devs! Join the DRM-free revolution, reach more people, get an advance on royalties.

GOG.com, in our continued efforts to bring you all the best games in history for PC and Mac, is looking to make it easier for indie game devs to submit their game to GOG.com. To that end, we have launched a new portal on GOG.com today, containing the essential information on the way we work with our indie partners, and an easy entry form providing direct contact with our team. All this, and more, found under the URL:

www.gog.com/indie

For those of you who are fans of GOG.com the service, this doesn't mean much of a change, except that we hope we will have ever more exciting indie games to release while we continue our schedule of regular awesome classics as well. For those of you who are developing games, though, we hope to make this a painless process where you can be sure that you will hear honest feedback from us about your game and where we want it on GOG.com.

We are also disclosing our revenue share--a 70/30 share, as is industry standard--unless we offer you an advance on your royalties, in which case it's a 60/40 share until we have recouped the cost of your advance. There's been some speculation on the part of developers in the past as to what it is that we offer indie devs, and we wanted to make sure that was clear up front. We've invited some of our indie dev friends to talk briefly about the experience of putting their game on GOG,com, and here's what they had to say:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oqIc7vix2YU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you're a fan of classic games, brace yourself for a thundering great RPG on Thursday. If you're a dev, fill out the form today, to join the DRM-free revolution, reach more people with your work, and possibly get an advance on royalties!
Post edited August 20, 2013 by TheEnigmaticT
Say what you will, but I personally prefer new indie 2D platformers like LIMBO or Giana Sisters to old "classic" platformers like Hocus Pocus, Duke Nukem 1-2 and Superfrog. Or, dare I say it, even to Jazz the Jackrabbit 1-2 (which were also indie/shareware games of their time, I think).

But yeah, DRM-free AAA-titles from around 2000-2009 is probably what I'm looking for the most at this point.
January: So now GOG will have even more not good old games?
Just Games. Good ol' Games.
Maighstir: Originally, "indie" was short for "independent", ie. no publisher breathing down your neck and wanting a return on their investment. The term has since been muddled enough that EA had an "indie" sale of games they published, over at Steam a year or so ago.
andysheets1975: I think it was Derek Yu who said defining an indie game is sort of a "you know it when you see it" kind of thing
Everything is "you know it when you see it", except in math. For me, the most important criterion is "no publisher breathing down your neck", and the reason why it's important is that if we're to have linear payoff for nonscarce products, I want that payoff go to people who made the artistic choices.
nijuu: ...What do people call AA or AAA games these days?. Always thought big names big budgets big greedy publishers? :D
Trilarion: There is no generally valid definition of these terms, so it depends on your individual estimation. My use of AA and AAA includes medium to large budget productions from professional dev teams managed by experienced publishers. So quite similar to your definition, only a bit more positive.
Managed by experienced publishers has nothing to do whether the game is going to be good or bad. In practice many of these "publishers" prevent games from being good.
Great news that GOG.com is taking the bull by the horn regarding indie games :)

The split seems fair (since GOG will handle the transaction, servers maintenance, bandwidth, etc) and same with the advance on royalties, however I'm worried about the visibility and quality control: unless GOG decides a limit of games per week/2-weeks, it will be flooded with tons of average games (with a few good and a few terribad games).

GOG.com will have to refuse some games, otherwise people who came here expecting a certain level of quality control (either by the reputation of the old game, or its many user ratings and reviews as many people already played that game before) wil "try" some new games and end up "wasting" money. There will be requests for refunds, so I think GOG.com better make it clear how it's gonna work (quality control, refunds, etc).

I'm also worried about the DRM question. It's all fun and games until people realize a game they bought on GOG.com is crippled by a DRM. I really hope GOG.com will make it very clear to devs submitting their games about the DRM issue, and very clearly indicates on the page (in yellow or orange or red) if there's any limitation to the game (DRM, game phoning home, use of an "account" to an online service, no possibility to launch/install the game on several devices at once, etc).

And again, if a dev adds features tied to a DRM/serial key/account after releasing "clean" on GOG.com, the GOG.com page has to be updated as soon as possible and if that new feature cripples the "old" version (like preventing MP games, or making the vast majority of the playerbase move to the DRMed MP mode), can the user get a refund/partial refund/GOG.com "credits" (promotion code) ?

I hope GOG.com will get around answering these questions officially on the website soon :)

TL;DR: quality control ? refusing games ? visibility ? refunds ? DRM/key/account/phone-home ? post-launch DRM/key/account/phone-home and refunds ?
shmerl: Let's put it this way - where does "indie" end and "AAA" starts? Tens of millions in budget, or what is a criteria?
Maighstir: Originally, "indie" was short for "independent", ie. no publisher breathing down your neck and wanting a return on their investment. The term has since been muddled enough that EA had an "indie" sale of games they published, over at Steam a year or so ago.
If I recall correctly, all the games in that bundle were developed by independent studios, that EA only published in retail stores and its online store.

If working with EA for the publishing part instantly turns your game into a non-indie game, then Braid being on XBL first is not an indie game, but a filthy money-grabbing shovelware made by the Demon itself to destroy gaming.

Notch threw a temper tantrum about it, but he's far from being the God Of Indies who decides who's indie enough to be "one of them".
timppu: Maybe they lost Disney.
tfishell: I'm going to go cry in a corner now.
"I would say that we’ve been speaking with every single major developer and major publisher who we haven’t signed yet. Whether we do so in person at E3, whether we’re doing so over the phone, whether we’re going to try and catch them again at GamesCom or GDC, I mean, we’re talking to everybody. Whether we’re getting anywhere is entirely a second issue, but we are talking to everybody."-Trevor Longino source:http://games.on.net/2013/07/we-see-pirates-as-our-competition-we-dont-see-steam-as-our-competition-gog-com-on-hatemail-torrents-and-sharing-games-legally/
Yet you refused Dysfunctional systems for no reason other then being close minded. This is a crock of shit!
Great initiative GOG. Way to go!
zeckt: Yet you refused Dysfunctional systems for no reason other then being close minded. This is a crock of shit!
Was that the official response? From a quick google search, Dysfunctional Systems seems to be an episodic game, and GOG doesn't (yet) sell episodic games. It is possible that DS will appear here once all episodes are released.
zeckt: Yet you refused Dysfunctional systems for no reason other then being close minded. This is a crock of shit!
Proof or STFU. Of "no reason other than", not refusal.
JMich: Was that the official response? From a quick google search, Dysfunctional Systems seems to be an episodic game, and GOG doesn't (yet) sell episodic games. It is possible that DS will appear here once all episodes are released.
Hmm... how about Cognition and Broken Age? aren't they episodic games? and they're already here! :)

http://www.gog.com/game/cognition_an_erica_reed_thriller

http://www.gog.com/game/broken_age

Oh and there's also this: http://www.gog.com/game/broken_sword_5_the_serpents_curse

But nevertheless I really wish they can make they're way into GOG.com

and besides GOG.com already has one visual novel here

http://www.gog.com/game/long_live_the_queen

anyways is Divinity Original and Pillars Of Eternity gonna be available on GOG.com?!
JMich: Was that the official response? From a quick google search, Dysfunctional Systems seems to be an episodic game, and GOG doesn't (yet) sell episodic games. It is possible that DS will appear here once all episodes are released.
Theseekingseer: Hmm... how about Cognition and Broken Age? aren't they episodic games? and they're already here! :)

http://www.gog.com/game/cognition_an_erica_reed_thriller

http://www.gog.com/game/broken_age

Oh and there's also this: http://www.gog.com/game/broken_sword_5_the_serpents_curse
Cognition is complete. As far as I recall, Cognition didn't even show up until all 4 episodes were released, and was then sold as a package deal. The same can be said for the Telltale games.

In both the other examples, as with Kentucky Route Zero, the other episodes are being released as free updates. I'm fairly certain Dysfunctional Systems will not be doing that.

In other words, to correct JMich's statement a bit: They do not sell incomplete episodic series, unless the subsequent episodes will be free.

And even then, they pick & choose them very carefully to make sure that only those they believe will actually get finished are put up for sale.
Post edited May 22, 2014 by staticblast
Theseekingseer: Hmm... how about Cognition and Broken Age? aren't they episodic games? and they're already here! :)
Please check the post date of the post you are replying to. All the games you listed in your post were released on GOG way after my post was made. That was covered by the "yet" part in my post.

Now, if you are asking about Dysfunctional Systems, I've no idea if it's coming to GOG or not, and I was querying if there was an official response given by GOG for its rejection, assuming the developers did submit DS to GOG.

P.S. You forgot Kentucky Route Zero
JMich: Please check the post date of the post you are replying to. All the games you listed in your post were released on GOG way after my post was made. That was covered by the "yet" part in my post.

Now, if you are asking about Dysfunctional Systems, I've no idea if it's coming to GOG or not, and I was querying if there was an official response given by GOG for its rejection, assuming the developers did submit DS to GOG.

P.S. You forgot Kentucky Route Zero
Ops! Sorry! forgot to mention that one bit. I never knew anything about that game hehe :)

So it seems Dysfunctional systems certainly won't make an appearance in GOG. Too bad :(

Why is that most western visual novel developers like to sell their games on Steam or other sites rather than here?
isn't it easier to present your games here on GOG like most indies devs that already had?

Well at least Divinity Original Sin and Pillars Of Eternity and the new Torment will be here right?
Post edited May 22, 2014 by Theseekingseer