It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A legendary RPG classic of mind-blowing proportions.

Wizardry 6+7, a pack of two DOS-era RPG games with first-person perspective, grid-based movement, huge gameworlds, and way over 500 hours of hard-core gameplay in total, is available on GOG.com, for only $5.99.

Some say that a quill is more powerful than the sword. In most cases they can be proved wrong by a any hot-tempered, half-naked barbarian wielding a crude two-handed blade. In this case, however, we're talking about a quill that is the most powerful artifact in the whole universe. It's called The Cosmic Forge, for it has the ability to rewrite reality itself, making its wielder omnipotent. This is what's at stake, at this is what you'll be after. But as if laying your hands on this treasure wasn't difficult enough, there's an ominous force hiding in the shadows, trying to reach the goal before you do and turning the whole of the world against you. All this is but the main thread in the epic campaign bringing together fantasy and Sci-Fi in a world that could have only be spawned to existence in the early 1990s. Behold the first two games in the Dark Savant trilogy!

Wizardry 6+7 bundles together Wizardry 6: The Cosmic Forge and Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant to bring you over 500 hours of challenging gameplay that defined what we now call classic computer RPG. Once you create your party of brave adventurers, recruited among the most fantastic races and taking on some of the most awesome professions, prepare to spend a whole lot of time with them, as you'll be taking them from the first game in the trilogy up to the last one. This is a challenging game, the one the [url=http://www.rpgcodex.net" target="_blank]RPG codex[/url] might have warned you about, so prepare for something you have never experienced before--or, if you played it back in the day, to relive some of your best gaming memories. With tons of content and old-school goodness it's a piece of gaming history you just need to have in your collection.

Are you ready? If you think you can handle a game so huge, or you simply want to forget about the world for weeks, or even months, grab Wizardry 6+7 for only $5.99.

Oh, and by the way: Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant comes in two versions in this package: the original DOS release, and the revamped Windows Wizardry GOLD edition. The choice is yours!
Hmm, I wonder why the japanese are so obsessed with Wizardry.. anyway, shame on them for not making a proper english release of this: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/wizardry-llylgamyn-saga

1997 windows remake of the first three games. And there's actually a New Age of Llylgamyn, which is a remake of 4-5, but couldn't find a proper entry for the life of me.
hunvagy: Hmm, I wonder why the japanese are so obsessed with Wizardry.. anyway, shame on them for not making a proper english release of this: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/wizardry-llylgamyn-saga

1997 windows remake of the first three games. And there's actually a New Age of Llylgamyn, which is a remake of 4-5, but couldn't find a proper entry for the life of me.
http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/wizardry-i-ii-iii-story-of-llylgamyn/
Crosmando: You do not need to "grind" in Wizardry 6 or 7 to finish the game, as in you don't need to re-fight encounters in areas already explored to get more XP, you can play through the game and fight every encounter (random or otherwise) as you progress through the world without having to stick around in explored areas looking for more monsters to kill. But you can if you want to, and Wizardry 7 in particular is designed so that the player can overlevel the content if they desire, there's no level-cap like D&D games with incremental scaling of monster areas, and you can powergame the crap out of the game if you want.
That sounds perfect, thanks!
hunvagy: Hmm, I wonder why the japanese are so obsessed with Wizardry.. anyway, shame on them for not making a proper english release of this: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/wizardry-llylgamyn-saga

Have you watched the gameplay videos on Youtube? It's like they slapped a shell of Wizardry on top of the Final Fantasy (early games) franchise. Then again, to me most JRPG are clones of some Final Fantasy edition. Apart from the dungeon crawling movement, everything else is like playing an early Final Fantasy game, including the character anime portraits on the side, and the *thud thud* effects, and the little figures shaking and flashing when hit. It's amusing yet weird at the same time.
NotJabba: I totally want to play these, but I have to ask: how many of those 700 hours am I going to spend grinding?
You're eyes will bleed out of your face seven hours in so I wouldn't worry.

My 16:9 19 Inch Gameboy Advance. XD
NotJabba: I totally want to play these, but I have to ask: how many of those 700 hours am I going to spend grinding?
In Wizardry 6, I took about 49 hours to beat the game. Only about 4 hours of that was grinding by the fountains in River Styx, but that's probably not typical -- I really went for an Ulillillia-esque overkill to get as many magic points and spells on my Mage as inhumanly possible.
Reading all the gushing praise makes me worried that a lot of people are gonna be very disappointed when they actually try the Wizardry games, so here's a rather more down-to-earth take from someone who's tried the games recently:

http://www.gog.com/forum/wizardry_series/minireview_a_down_to_earth_personal_take_on_the_wizardry_series
I played through Wizardry 7 Gold just a few months ago using a custom package I got on Ebay (shelled for Win7 compatibility) and have a few recent thoughts on the modern playability.

First, Wiz 7 (and 6) are absolutely classics of the genre. The character creation is great, with many, many departures from the usual human/elf/dwarf categories. Moreover, they are very differentiated.

Second, there are no clear good/bad sides and the major NPC races are very different from each other and from anything you have likely seen before. Great inventiveness here.

Third, there is much good writing in the cut-piece dialogs, making them a pleasure to read.

Fourth, the treasure and gear items are insanely and intricately differentiated. You will definitely need a guide to them; fortunately some good online ones are available.

Fifth, the amalgamation of fantasy and science fiction in Wiz 7 is imaginative, enjoyable, and uncommon.

Sixth, the world feels _big_ , and I found an entire complex of walls and buildings which seems to have no function in the game; at least walkthroughs do not refer to it, and no entry seems available. I like this feeling of vast worlds.

These are all great strengths.

This being said, there are some challenges.

First, the puzzles are (for me at least) several parsecs beyond anything I have seen before, in terms of difficulty. And many are extremely non-intuitive, to the point of arbitrariness.

Second, the inventory is generous for the time, but with so _much_ stuff to acquire, including many mission-critical items, you will likely find inventory management is a constant effort. Fortunately, you can drop stuff and go back and get it later.

Third, mapping can be a nightmare. I took Wiz Gold just to have an automapper. I cannot describe how crucial this is. Use it or lay in a _big_ supply of graph paper.

Wiz 7 is an absolute classic. Much harder than almost anything else I have played, but entirely worth the effort.
Post edited May 26, 2013 by theyellowclaw