It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

An enchanting special deal!

[url=http://www.gog.com/game/trine_2_complete_story]Trine 2: Complete Story, the second chapter in the fantastic physics puzzle-based teamwork platformer, is now available in its most extensive version containing the Goblin Menace expansion campaign and the all-new unlockable Dwarven Caverns level on GOG.com, for Windows and Mac OS X! For a whole week both games in the award-winning Trine Series are available 85% off. That's only $4.48 for the two beautiful titles, until Tuesday, December 10, at 10:59AM GMT!

Trine 2: Complete Story (beautiful) trailer

Trine 2: Complete Story takes everything you loved about the first game, and brings it to a whole new epic level of magical adventure, assuring the Trine Series gets a prominent place in the platformer all-time hall of fame. Amadeus the Wizard, Pontius the Knight and Zoya the Thief embark on a new quest that takes them on a journey through many magical, colorful, and awe-inspiring locations. The diverse and lush environments are packed to the brim with inventive puzzles, challenges, and danger. It will take precision, wits, and--most of all--teamwork, to lead the iconic trio through the ordeal. The Complete Story edition fully integrates the Goblin Menace expansion campaign and the all-new unlockable Dwarven Caverns level into one mighty fairy tale. Treat yourself to one of the most beautiful gaming experience in existence, and take a plunge into the wondrous realm that is Trine 2: Complete Story, or bring a friend alone and experience the enchantment in local or online co-op mode.
Haven't played the first Trine game yet?

Now's your best chance to catch up. Grabbing both titles in the Trine Series grants you a HUGE 85% off discount. You can also get just one of the games 75% off. If you already own the first game on GOG.com, it will count towards the higher discount rate, as usually. This special offer lasts for a week, that's until Tuesday, December 10, at 10:59AM GMT!
Post edited December 03, 2013 by G-Doc
JohnnyDollar: I wouldn't really consider that. That's a lot of expense, not to mention that they would need the source code to port the games. I can't really think of any scenario where doing this would be beneficial to GOG, short of Linux grabbing a 90% market share overnight and GOG suddenly finding themselves without a customer base that uses Windows. If that hypothetical scenario were to happen, they would probably be forced to close their doors anyway.

I would expect to see a Linux version of TWIII or Cerberpunk 2077 released from CD Projekt, or porting the previous 2 Witcher games to Linux as a more likely scenario.

You've got a better chance of finding a 3 legged ballerina than seeing GOG porting "dozens" of games to Linux. :P

Edit: Since this is the Trine 2 thread, shouldn't we be discussing this over in the "Linux support on GOG" thread?
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/linux_support_on_gog
I kind of misused the word porting when I meant "bringing". Some games are already available for Linux and it's just a matter of wrapping them up in the GOG installer and tweaking things. If I understand correctly though they have the source code for some of the titles, and porting older titles isn't necessarily a lot of effort, especially with resources. It's unlikely they would directly port any major titles that are large in scope I imagine, but porting older games like King's Quest and other DOS stuff wouldn't be out of the question IMHO. The games that are already available for Linux on Steam or off the developer's website or some other retailer however there's no reason to think it would take GOG long to package up. I'm kind of curious how many of the current catalogue of games already are ported to Linux out there. If someone else hasn't done so already, maybe I'll take a stab at researching that some day in the future.

I more or less agree with what you're saying as I should have used a different word than "porting", but GOG does binary hack games to patch them to work with current OSs, and has had job postings that listed such skills for jobs, so they're already going out of their way to hack games to even work at all. To take the source code of a game if it is available to them, and port it as I said above, is not a large task for a lot of games, especially older games. Some games that have had their sources opened up to the OSS community have been ported in as little as 24 hours to Linux in the past, and polished over a week or two to work out the kinks. Whenever GOG does decide to support Linux they will most likely be doing a combination of these things ahead of any announcements they make publicly. :)
JohnnyDollar: Since this is the Trine 2 thread, shouldn't we be discussing this over in the "Linux support on GOG" thread?
This is a good place to bring it up, since Trine 2 is yet another game that already has a working Linux version. I think almost any release on GOG that also has a Linux version will spark the topic.
JohnnyDollar: Since this is the Trine 2 thread, shouldn't we be discussing this over in the "Linux support on GOG" thread?
jalister: This is a good place to bring it up, since Trine 2 is yet another game that already has a working Linux version. I think almost any release on GOG that also has a Linux version will spark the topic.
You linux guys keep bringing it up.
jalister: This is a good place to bring it up, since Trine 2 is yet another game that already has a working Linux version. I think almost any release on GOG that also has a Linux version will spark the topic.
nijuu: You linux guys keep bringing it up.
I wouldn't expect the Windows or Mac guys to bring it up.
skeletonbow: I kind of misused the word porting when I meant "bringing". Some games are already available for Linux and it's just a matter of wrapping them up in the GOG installer and tweaking things. If I understand correctly though they have the source code for some of the titles, and porting older titles isn't necessarily a lot of effort, especially with resources. It's unlikely they would directly port any major titles that are large in scope I imagine, but porting older games like King's Quest and other DOS stuff wouldn't be out of the question IMHO. The games that are already available for Linux on Steam or off the developer's website or some other retailer however there's no reason to think it would take GOG long to package up. I'm kind of curious how many of the current catalogue of games already are ported to Linux out there. If someone else hasn't done so already, maybe I'll take a stab at researching that some day in the future.

I more or less agree with what you're saying as I should have used a different word than "porting", but GOG does binary hack games to patch them to work with current OSs, and has had job postings that listed such skills for jobs, so they're already going out of their way to hack games to even work at all. To take the source code of a game if it is available to them, and port it as I said above, is not a large task for a lot of games, especially older games. Some games that have had their sources opened up to the OSS community have been ported in as little as 24 hours to Linux in the past, and polished over a week or two to work out the kinks. Whenever GOG does decide to support Linux they will most likely be doing a combination of these things ahead of any announcements they make publicly. :)
I had a feeling after responding to your post that that's what you meant, not actually porting them, but packaging them up. ;)

The DOS games shouldn't even need a port, since DOSBox is cross platform. They would just package it with the Linux DOSBox version, is my assumption. Some of the Windows titles can be packaged up with a Wine requirement, I guess. Members here already play Windows titles in Wine as it is. I'm not sure if that would happen though, at least not early on anyway. You said that GOG has the source code to some of these games. If they do, I'll wager that it's very few of them.

Looking at what they've done with Mac would be a good reference. Have they ported any games to Mac, or have they just acquired the Mac developed versions from the publisher? What have they done with the DOS only games, just packaged them with the Mac version of DOSBox?
JohnnyDollar: I had a feeling after responding to your post that that's what you meant, not actually porting them, but packaging them up. ;)

The DOS games shouldn't even need a port, since DOSBox is cross platform. They would just package it with the Linux DOSBox version, is my assumption. Some of the Windows titles can be packaged up with a Wine requirement, I guess. Members here already play Windows titles in Wine as it is. I'm not sure if that would happen though, at least not early on anyway. You said that GOG has the source code to some of these games. If they do, I'll wager that it's very few of them.

Looking at what they've done with Mac would be a good reference. Have they ported any games to Mac, or have they just acquired the Mac developed versions from the publisher? What have they done with the DOS only games, just packaged them with the Mac version of DOSBox?
Yeah, using DOSBox on Linux would be fine for some titles also, but native ports of others would be superior. There are Linux ports of some of them kicking around already too. For Windows titles I think packaging them with wine is a terrible idea as wine is pretty cool when it works... when it works. There are two options there, using the Windows executables with the wine binaries, and rebuilding the games from source using winelib. Both options are nasty compared to a real port, but I suppose they could be explored anyway even if it makes me cringe. What about using Mac emulation on Linux? :)

I'm not sure what they've done for Mac games. It could be a combination of Mac versions that pre-existed, Mac ports by GOG, and using emulation transparently I imagine. Not sure about Windows games though whether they'd be Mac ports or some kind of emulation.

In the long run though, if Linux does become a popular gaming platform as I think it now has a serious chance to, I'd be surprised if GOG doesn't fully embrace it as it would seem to fit into their mandate of bringing old games to new platforms. While Linux itself isn't new, having mainstream gaming on it is so it stands to reason it will happen one day or another.

Another thing to consider too is that there is already a community of GOG users working on making the GOG titles work on Linux through ScumVM, DOSbox and wine, gogonlinux etc. So GOG could also utilize what has already been done there to kickstart their own official support someday. Just a matter of waiting for whatever thresholds to be crossed to make it happen.
skeletonbow: In the long run though, if Linux does become a popular gaming platform as I think it now has a serious chance to, I'd be surprised if GOG doesn't fully embrace it as it would seem to fit into their mandate of bringing old games to new platforms. While Linux itself isn't new, having mainstream gaming on it is so it stands to reason it will happen one day or another.
I think it's going to see a higher adoption rate too. I'm not sure how long I'll be using Windows for personal use. I don't really like the direction that it's going in, and neither does Valve, apparently.

I'm thinking that it wouldn't take but a 3 or 4 % increase in market share in order for us to see more 3rd party software development and more device driver support from hardware vendors . Maybe 3 or 4 % is too modest, I don't know, but I think that I'm safe in saying that it doesn't have to be a huge increase to get the ball rolling. In my view and experience with playing around with it, Linux needs that attention from other parties.

Like I said in the Linux thread, perhaps GOG will come to the conclusion that supporting Linux is in their interest a year or so down the line. :)
ANyway getting back to the more important Topic. Trine 2. Is it better in everyway over the first game?
skeletonbow: In the long run though, if Linux does become a popular gaming platform as I think it now has a serious chance to, I'd be surprised if GOG doesn't fully embrace it as it would seem to fit into their mandate of bringing old games to new platforms. While Linux itself isn't new, having mainstream gaming on it is so it stands to reason it will happen one day or another.
JohnnyDollar: I think it's going to see a higher adoption rate too. I'm not sure how long I'll be using Windows for personal use. I don't really like the direction that it's going in, and neither does Valve, apparently.

I'm thinking that it wouldn't take but a 3 or 4 % increase in market share in order for us to see more 3rd party software development and more device driver support from hardware vendors . Maybe 3 or 4 % is too modest, I don't know, but I think that I'm safe in saying that it doesn't have to be a huge increase to get the ball rolling. In my view and experience with playing around with it, Linux needs that attention from other parties.

Like I said in the Linux thread, perhaps GOG will come to the conclusion that supporting Linux is in their interest a year or so down the line. :)
Indeed, I'm running Windows 7 for gaming currently and held out with XPSP3 until this last February before migrating, but there's no way in hell I'll ever use Windows 8 or 8.1 and I have a feeling Microsoft isn't going to come out with a Windows 9 that is akin to XP/7 in terms of commercial success. I have a feeling that Win 7 is their last popular OS. I currently do most of my day to day stuff in Windows as well but I do prefer a Linux desktop for most stuff. It's just been a laziness convenience for the most part. I'll likely run Win 7 as long as it's supported unless I can manage to get most of what I need running in Linux, but then I'm not terribly thrilled by what's been happening on the Linux desktop either with GNOME and KDE. There are at least other options there like XFCE, LXDE which suit me more.

I agree, according to Valve Linux accounts for something like 1% or more already, which if true is very impressive to me, and that alone certainly has woken up the hardware vendors at least enough to see some things happening and has also woken up a lot of game developers and publishers. 3-4% would definitely create an avalanche effect IMHO. One of the yardsticks I use to measure things is "What is Dell doing about this?" That yardstick has worked well in the past for a number of things, and so I'll make a suggestion that if we see Dell come out with a Steam machine of their own for example - perhaps under the Alienware brand or something, then that's what I'll be watching to measure the success. They're not one of my favourite companies (except for their monitors), but they know how to do business.

I think in 2014 we are going to see a domino effect slew of announcements across the industry of companies releasing Linux related press releases with regard to gaming.
nijuu: ANyway getting back to the more important Topic. Trine 2. Is it better in everyway over the first game?
Gaming on Linux is more important than Trine 2. LOL Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)
Post edited December 07, 2013 by skeletonbow
nijuu: ANyway getting back to the more important Topic. Trine 2. Is it better in everyway over the first game?
I don't know about every way, but it sure is a gorgeous game, even more so than the first - I played through the first four levels today. As for gameplay, there are a few additions here and there, but it's still very similar to the original. Can't really say how the story bits compare as it's been a few years since I actually played through Trine.
Redfern: Thats easy. Trine 2 is great. No less then first one (if yo still not played first i pity you). Enemies became harder and smarter, and characters was rebalanced too (no more superpowerfull thief ). In terms of music in visual art its still top notch. Frozenbyte made it this way to not lose anything they gained in Trine 1, its just as great as first and even better.
P.S. not yet tried DLC, so..no comments.
That sounds fabulous! I'll have to get Trine 1 first then before I play Trine 2, so I get a feel for the series. Thanks for the heads up. ^_^