It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Strike against the Darkfall!

Thunderscape, a classic 1990s dungeon crawler with real-time exploration of a vast and diverse underworld and challenging turn-based combat against many fearsome fiends of chaos, is available on GOG.com for only $5.99.

The world of Aden is in great peril. The demonic, corruptive power known as the Darkfall fills the world with monsters, abominations, and evil-inspiring artifacts. The realm is in dire need of defenders, and it's your job to lead them against the forces of chaos. You will explore a dark and dangerous underground to reach for the power you'll need to bring the light to where darkness reigns. A small party of stalwart adventurers seems to stand little chance against the hordes of evil. It's up to you to prove, that miracles do happen in fantasy worlds.

Thunderscape presents you with many time-proven RPG ideas that work together so well, that it's astounding that anyone would want to modify them. You get a party of six brave champions, a large gameworld to explore, lots of items to collect, stats to build, and enemies to slay. While roaming the world, the game progresses in real-time, switching to turn-based combat whenever you approach (or get ambushed by) an opponent. With everything that made dungeon crawlers so successful in the 1990 and some very distinctive steampunk-ish feel, this game is highly recommended to all cRPG fans looking for a challenge!

Set off to explore the world of Aden and save it from the corruptive forces of the Darkfall in Thunderscape, for only $5.99 on GOG.com.
BadDecissions: Well, you're thinking of Might and Magic, as a matter of fact.

(There might be others)
The alchemist in Wizardry 8 can also do a similar thing
Wow! I actually still own the CD, manual, and advertising literature for this game. My grandmother got this for me somewhere over a decade ago. I remember liking it quite a bit, though I did fuss with the controls. I think I enjoyed it back then because I hated anything that looked like a Tolkien knock off fantasy. This game had a sense of identity. Or at least I thought it did back then.

I need to tear through my mountain of 90s PC games to find this. If anything I want to reread the old advertisements for all the old games :D
TheJadedOne: Warlords I and II are available from the http://www.warlorders.com/ website. (It's run by "KGB" who is one of the people that worked on Warlords IV -- I think those downloads are legit freebies. If you want to make sure they are, you can post in the forums there and ask him to confirm it.)
Thanks for the link.
I have Warlords 3 on a disc from a magazine, but only ever had a pirated floppy of Warlords 2, and I never got around to buy the Deluxe edition. Neither Abandonia nor HOTU (RIP) had it back when I looked last time.
This doesn't exempt GOG from getting the three first Warlords games onboard ; the fourth being shit, they can spare the effort.

TheJadedOne: I plan on making my next gaming box a Win 7 Pro with its VM support just so I can get Warlords III to install (the installer is a 16 bit windows app). It would be nice if GOG would make such contortions unnecessary.
I always keep a 98SE machine handy ; Warlords III installs just fine.
Looks interesting. Hopefully this means more SSI published games will be forthcoming.
Erich_Zann: I know it's SSG and not SSI, but since 1/ I always mixed up the two as a kid
TheJadedOne: Me too. (And it doesn't help that some games developed by SSG were published by SSI.)

Erich_Zann: and 2/ we already have the Battlecry spinoffs here, how about releasing Warlords II & III, GOG lads ?
TheJadedOne: Warlords I and II are available from the http://www.warlorders.com/ website. (It's run by "KGB" who is one of the people that worked on Warlords IV -- I think those downloads are legit freebies. If you want to make sure they are, you can post in the forums there and ask him to confirm it.)

I plan on making my next gaming box a Win 7 Pro with its VM support just so I can get Warlords III to install (the installer is a 16 bit windows app). It would be nice if GOG would make such contortions unnecessary.
Actually Win7 at places has better compatibility then the XP Compatibility mode. For instance Deathrap Dungeon has sound in Win7, but I never could it make a beep in XP. And I think I managed to install Warlords 3 on my 64bit Win7 Ultimate. But I could be wrong, probably should test it at one point, I have Reign of Heroes lying around here somewhere.
For any new players, a tip before you start (spoilers I guess):
[spoiler]
When you see the bridge at the start of the game, don't go onto it right away, instead walk around until you find a Rock, and put in one of your characters' inventory. When you get onto the bridge a Troll is blocking the way, choose to give him the rock, and then he'll join your party (he has good stats).
[/spoiler]
So, I see the scourge of stupid spambotting ads has hit the GoG reviews here (cindydavilla's review for this game).
Very good release.
This game has some of the best box art I've ever seen. Bought!
I'm really interested in this. May go ahead and pick it up. Hope to see more SSI here.
Finally a new game that's true to what GOG stands for. Classic games that you can't get anywhere else. Might not even be any good. Don't know because I've never even heard of it but I'm still happy that we have something to look forward to. Probably going to check it out at the 5.99 price.
FoxZero: Wow! I actually still own the CD, manual, and advertising literature for this game. My grandmother got this for me somewhere over a decade ago. I remember liking it quite a bit, though I did fuss with the controls. I think I enjoyed it back then because I hated anything that looked like a Tolkien knock off fantasy. This game had a sense of identity. Or at least I thought it did back then.

I need to tear through my mountain of 90s PC games to find this. If anything I want to reread the old advertisements for all the old games :D
I was just thinking about this the other day myself, going through old games that is, and thought in my case it might be easier to pull out the stash of 90's Computer Gaming Worlds that I have boxed up in the attic somewhere and read their reviews as during that period of time I found that I generally agreed with the reviewers there unlike in some publications.
FoxZero: Wow! I actually still own the CD, manual, and advertising literature for this game. My grandmother got this for me somewhere over a decade ago. I remember liking it quite a bit, though I did fuss with the controls. I think I enjoyed it back then because I hated anything that looked like a Tolkien knock off fantasy. This game had a sense of identity. Or at least I thought it did back then.

BlueKronos: I was just thinking about this the other day myself, going through old games that is, and thought in my case it might be easier to pull out the stash of 90's Computer Gaming Worlds that I have boxed up in the attic somewhere and read their reviews as during that period of time I found that I generally agreed with the reviewers there unlike in some publications.
Computer Gaming World was an amazing magazine back in the day! I still have my favorite issue from 2001 tucked away with AVP2 on the cover. Man I wish I had subscribed sooner. I love seeing the old ads of Battle Realms, I War 2, and Morrowind in there.
BlueKronos: I was just thinking about this the other day myself, going through old games that is, and thought in my case it might be easier to pull out the stash of 90's Computer Gaming Worlds that I have boxed up in the attic somewhere and read their reviews as during that period of time I found that I generally agreed with the reviewers there unlike in some publications.
FoxZero: Computer Gaming World was an amazing magazine back in the day! I still have my favorite issue from 2001 tucked away with AVP2 on the cover. Man I wish I had subscribed sooner. I love seeing the old ads of Battle Realms, I War 2, and Morrowind in there.
I still have the original Thunderscape (I admit I didn't play much) and Entomorph (liked it more, played till the end).

CGW was a great magazine, a pity it was hard to find here in Brazil. The issue I still have is the one with Final fantasy VII cover, and - wow I still have its demo disk.
Thank you GOG for this great Release! Please more of those SSI-RPGS (Goldbox? Ravenloft?Menzoberranzan?).