It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Underwater pyrotechnics.

Subwar 2050 Complete, an excellent DOS-era fighter sim with great gameplay mechanics and stylish visuals, set in the middle of future corporate war under the sea, is available now on GOG.com, for only $5.99

The calm dark waters of the ocean. Whatever happens at the bottom, there's nothing on the surface to indicate any trouble, pain, nor death. Maybe just a ripple. Better part of our planet is covered by water, so it's no wonder that humankind rushed in to seize control over the oceanic reaches at one point of its history. The corporate greed and lust for power knows no boundaries, and for the CEOs of the great corporations it makes no difference whether a spot on their map lies on land or under the sea. After all, they're not the ones to fight the war, piloting the state-of-the art aquatic warships. That part of corporate warfare is all yours to handle.

Subwar 2050 Complete makes you a mercenary pilot of futuristic submarines, performing various missions in the course of corporate war for domination over the oceanic floor. You'll have to master specific underwater fight tactics to emerge victorious out of the game's many campaigns. With an original setting, complex maneuvers, deep and satisfying gameplay, and a great selection of missions this is one of the best fighter sims in existence, whether in space, mid-air, land, or sea. The Complete edition includes The Plot Deepens data-disk, adding more weapons, new submarines, and extra three campaigns into the game.

Prepare for amazing aquatic action from the golden age of DOS games. Get Subwar 2050 Complete on GOG.com, for only $5.99!
Great release, though I always felt the weapons in this game were underpowered it probably was done so to stick to mission objectives while being less of an action game (being stealthy is important).
It does capture the feeling of being underwater very well however and this game has some of the best 320x240 graphics seen and sound effects heard in a dos game.

What I don't understand is why the publisher is stated as being Interplay, the copy I have is published by Microprose and Mobygames also doesn't mention Interplay as publisher.
Post edited May 02, 2013 by Strijkbout
OMG! Thanks GOG Team!
Looks just like Privateer/Wing Commander under water!
For those of you still wandering about the "6 months ago" clue, do you remember the Pay What you Want promo for Interplay titles? Soon afterwards it was announced that Interplay would do a stupid thing of raising prices for some of its most sold titles, but that they would also release 4 new Interplay titles. Since they only released Screamer 2, this constitutes the continuation of that process.

So, GOG, what about the other 2 Interplay games?
de_Monteynard: For those of you still wandering about the "6 months ago" clue, do you remember the Pay What you Want promo for Interplay titles? Soon afterwards it was announced that Interplay would do a stupid thing of raising prices for some of its most sold titles, but that they would also release 4 new Interplay titles. Since they only released Screamer 2, this constitutes the continuation of that process.

Yup...sounds reasonable to me.
Fesin: Okay, so I get the "37 year" part of the hint, but why 6 months ago?
Didn't we have an Interplay PWYW promo 6 months ago?

edit: geez, I'm slow today. :D
Post edited May 02, 2013 by triock
de_Monteynard: For those of you still wandering about the "6 months ago" clue, do you remember the Pay What you Want promo for Interplay titles? Soon afterwards it was announced that Interplay would do a stupid thing of raising prices for some of its most sold titles, but that they would also release 4 new Interplay titles. Since they only released Screamer 2, this constitutes the continuation of that process.

Yeah, I remember that now... so, MIND BLOWING MAY is just the remaining new Interplay titles? Dang, I was really hoping for SWAT 4...
so the superior version in this case is DOS or AMIGA? or AMIGA CD32? :)
Am I right at guessing then that the '6 months ago' was a reference to the big sale that was done on Interplay?

EDIT:: Seems I was right, and slow to the mark.
Post edited May 02, 2013 by 011284mm
Thanks GOG! I was one of the 45 on the wish list. I actually own this already, but am more than happy to pick it up from here to help support GOG!
gibbeynator: Yeah, I remember that now... so, MIND BLOWING MAY is just the remaining new Interplay titles? Dang, I was really hoping for SWAT 4...
I don't think so. May is quite long and to say classic releases during May will be mindblowing just because of 2 Interplay games that will garner little attention (all major titles have been present for a long time now), would be cruel on the part of G-Doc. So in my opinion, May will be mindblowing, with Interplay perhaps adding a bit to the flavour. Unless, that is, the Star Trek 25th Anniversary addition is one of those games, which would mean Star Trek licences games would be coming to GOG, but that is even more unlikely than LucasArts coming to GOG.
Ric1987: I've never heard of this but it looks like Wing Commander under water from the screenshots, will look into this.
thats my first impression as well...
damien: so the superior version in this case is DOS or AMIGA? or AMIGA CD32? :)
DOS!

Don't mind the naysayers. DOS version has better graphics, due to supporting texture mapping that the Amiga AGA/CD32 lacks as far as I can tell. And fortunately the GOG PC version includes the expansion pack too, that was PC-only anyway.

Amiga version has quite good audio, though (at least compared to the vanilla Adlib/Soundblaster audio in the PC version).

Does the GOG version include sound setup executable to change the sound support to Roland MT-32 (Munt)?
Post edited May 02, 2013 by timppu
Silverhawk170485: That's nothing for me. I hope to see Sub Culture as the next underwater game. That was a great game.
Definitely, it would be a great addition to the catalogue. Along with Turok, it was a real showcase of what 3D graphics accelerators could do.
iippo: Wish we got a real, proper game in the spirit of original Archimedian Dynasty though. AquaNox'es werent exactly the same thing..
So true. Aquanox was nice and all, but the atmosphere was kind of lost... became somewhat to cartoonish and bright.