It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Never Deal with a Dragon!

Shadowrun Returns, a classy turn-based RPG set in one of the most iconic Sci-Fi worlds where cyberpunk meets fantasy, sporting excellent character development mechanics and a sleek visual style drawing you right into the dark and dangerous Seattle metroplex, is available 40% off on GOG.com, for Windows and Mac OS X. That's $11.99 for the first 48 hours.

People will tell you about the word "Shadowrun". They'll explain that it describes the act of falling off the grid to perform some shady doings for a power that prefers to stay anonymous. Like one corporation trying to silently eliminate some key "assets" of another. Or a high-profile magician in need of some fresh virgin blood. Or the law going after someone that would normally be out of their reach, because of that whole corpo-extraterritoriality thing. Get it? That kind of stuff. But I'll tell you this man, I think that's not where the word originates. I've been around for a long time, and I've seen some things no one was ever supposed to see. I know things that you generally wouldn't want to know. Dangerous, that kind of knowledge, a health hazard if you catch my drift. So, believe me when I tell you: it's not actually "shadowrun". It's "shadow-run". A word describing the true hierarchy of power in our good old sixth world. This whole planet is now being run by shadows whose motivation and goals guys like you and me won't ever understand. I don't even mean the dragons. There's something else out there. Something… different.

Shadowrun Returns, a single player, turn-based tactical RPG taking place in a fan-favorite cyberpunk slash fantasy setting. Enter the amazingly depicted futuristic Seattle metroplex, and embark on your mission to uncover the mystery of a series of gruesome killings. Who knows what you'll discover? In the world of Shadowrun nothing is what it seems at first glance. With deep and involving storyline, top-notch turn-based tactical combat mechanics, and deep skill-based character development system, this vibrant imaginative role-playing game just keeps on giving!

Whether you are a die-hard fan of the pen&paper predecessor, or you're just looking for an extensive computer RPG experience, you can't go wrong with Shadowrun Returns, for only 11.99 on GOG.com. The 40% off release discount offer last for 48 hours only, that's until Thursday, December 12, at 10:59AM GMT.
jalister: I think it's a good thing that Linux users keep bringing it up. It shows that we would prefer to give GOG our money instead of giving it to another store. That's better than just giving up on GOG and silently abandoning GOG. I also bring it up so that GOG can see there is a demand, and that some sales are actually being lost.
bernds: Same here.
That's very cool of you. But GOG already is listening to your needs
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/add_linux_versions_of_games

They know how many "sales are actually being lost", so there's no need to spam every possible thread with the same thing.
Nice game. Not incredible, but a good old-school style RPG. Be warned, however, that the campaign is utterly linear, and the class system, while great in its diversity, isn't very well translated into a campaign as linear as the vanilla one. For instance, I played through it as a Decker, which is a hacker type, and his abilities were nifty but often boring when in combat outside the Matrix part of the game. I was able to use his hacking abilities a few times outside of the Matrix, but they were so far in-between and so inconsequential in the long run that it makes the character a bit boring to play. However, I think that this is not a problem with the class itself, but with the campaign's design. Hopefully the mods and the custom campaigns will be much better in this regard, but only time will tell.
I still have an unused Steam key for this one, in case anybody's interested in a trade. Just drop a PM.
You know, I've been seeing many reviews from players who don't seem to fully understand what Shadowrun Retuirns is. I keep hearing the same words: "linear story, too short, no voice acting, poor graphics" I think it's because they're veiwing it as a game product, when it really isn't.

The way I see it is as a videogame version of the old RPG rulebooks with a sample scenario included, which is probably more correct. Some have noticed that it's mostly a game editor, but still criticise the included game. It's like criticising tabletop and RPG systems like Warhammer Quest, 40K, RuneQuest and the original Shadowrun due to their sample scenarios. Other videogames have done this, but Shadowrun Returns seems to be getting alot of flack on this.

Veteren RPG players know that these scenarios were not the game system but were a kind of guide on the type of quick game they could create themselves. As those veteren RPG players will remember, it was the larger campaigns that were sold seperately in their own shrink-wrapped packets (Berlin will probably be such a campaign - hopefully!)

But what Shadowrun Returns does is say: "Here's a quick example of the type of game that can be created with SR. Not that good is it? So can you do better?"

Which is what all good RPG rulebooks did :)
So happy to see this game on GoG!
Will surely have a blast with the custom content for years to come.
As for the included campaign I really liked it. Sure it wasn't many hours and was linear but damn the writing was great and along with the music it was easy to get immersed into the experience. I for one loved the old feel of it and not having voice actors taking away the sweet walls of text.

Also liked not having a manual save system, really helps the immersion not ever thinking about saving or the so common save before making a choice in case you don't like the result.
wenchwogg: It's a $20 game for $11 - how is that not a discount?
Woofy: The real value of the base game is $24.99 ('complete version') - $14.99 (DLC #2) = $10 value
So a 'sale price' of $12 isn't a sale. And it's not worth $20 regular price. $15 backing this game in the first place would have gotten people the $25 complete version. That's a deal.

It's a roughly six? month old game which is overpriced.
The Complete version isn't out yet, the base game is 19.99. Also Kickstarters get early access tiers that developers don't pass along to non early adopters. Still fail to see how any of these are overpriced with games usually being 50-60 USD.
Nice to see this here; glad that the DRM-free thing got resolved.

I keep hearing about the game editor; has anyone done anything noteworthy with it yet?
Just received my GOG key from HBS too
Woofy: The real value of the base game is $24.99 ('complete version') - $14.99 (DLC #2) = $10 value
So a 'sale price' of $12 isn't a sale. And it's not worth $20 regular price. $15 backing this game in the first place would have gotten people the $25 complete version. That's a deal.

It's a roughly six? month old game which is overpriced.
wenchwogg: The Complete version isn't out yet, the base game is 19.99. Also Kickstarters get early access tiers that developers don't pass along to non early adopters. Still fail to see how any of these are overpriced with games usually being 50-60 USD.
The complete version will be out in January at $24.99. The math above shows why paying $12 (or $20) for the base game plus buying the January DLC at $14.99 means this is overpriced. Unless someone can't wait until January when you can get both the base game and the January DLC for $2-10 less without the complete game being on sale at all.
Post edited December 11, 2013 by Woofy
skeecher: Veteren RPG players know that these scenarios were not the game system but were a kind of guide on the type of quick game they could create themselves. As those veteren RPG players will remember, it was the larger campaigns that were sold seperately in their own shrink-wrapped packets (Berlin will probably be such a campaign - hopefully!)

But what Shadowrun Returns does is say: "Here's a quick example of the type of game that can be created with SR. Not that good is it? So can you do better?"

Which is what all good RPG rulebooks did :)
Was it ever marketed as such though?. You do make it sound it was supposed to be more along lines of NWN OC where the OC was meant to show off the engine... semblance or story/plot was very secondary. Im not sure SRR was meant to be that. Having said that, did SRR fulfill what backers expected of it?.
nijuu: Was it ever marketed as such though?. You do make it sound it was supposed to be more along lines of NWN OC where the OC was meant to show off the engine... semblance or story/plot was very secondary. Im not sure SRR was meant to be that. Having said that, did SRR fulfill what backers expected of it?.
Of course not, even if the game shat diamonds from your hard drive people would bitch about it. It did deliver what it promised tho, for the most part.
Well, that was unexpected. It's nice to see it DRM-free for general public, I'll definitely grab it after I have more time to slenderize my backlog a bit.
They just emailed me my GOG key, awesomesauceness!
I backed this on Kickstarter. The only big problems I had with the game were the DRM situation and the horrible save system. I did like the game though, even though there were some either minor things. An example is not being able to use a hacker in the group to hack, the main player had to be a backer.

Now that the game is being offered to everyone DRM free including expansions, and the save system is being improved, I'm very happy I backed this.
Yay, thanks for bringing this to gog, I all ready own it else where.

edit: decided to not advertise other sites prices in this thread.
Post edited December 12, 2013 by gbaz69