It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Never Deal with a Dragon!

Shadowrun Returns, a classy turn-based RPG set in one of the most iconic Sci-Fi worlds where cyberpunk meets fantasy, sporting excellent character development mechanics and a sleek visual style drawing you right into the dark and dangerous Seattle metroplex, is available 40% off on GOG.com, for Windows and Mac OS X. That's $11.99 for the first 48 hours.

People will tell you about the word "Shadowrun". They'll explain that it describes the act of falling off the grid to perform some shady doings for a power that prefers to stay anonymous. Like one corporation trying to silently eliminate some key "assets" of another. Or a high-profile magician in need of some fresh virgin blood. Or the law going after someone that would normally be out of their reach, because of that whole corpo-extraterritoriality thing. Get it? That kind of stuff. But I'll tell you this man, I think that's not where the word originates. I've been around for a long time, and I've seen some things no one was ever supposed to see. I know things that you generally wouldn't want to know. Dangerous, that kind of knowledge, a health hazard if you catch my drift. So, believe me when I tell you: it's not actually "shadowrun". It's "shadow-run". A word describing the true hierarchy of power in our good old sixth world. This whole planet is now being run by shadows whose motivation and goals guys like you and me won't ever understand. I don't even mean the dragons. There's something else out there. Something… different.

Shadowrun Returns, a single player, turn-based tactical RPG taking place in a fan-favorite cyberpunk slash fantasy setting. Enter the amazingly depicted futuristic Seattle metroplex, and embark on your mission to uncover the mystery of a series of gruesome killings. Who knows what you'll discover? In the world of Shadowrun nothing is what it seems at first glance. With deep and involving storyline, top-notch turn-based tactical combat mechanics, and deep skill-based character development system, this vibrant imaginative role-playing game just keeps on giving!

Whether you are a die-hard fan of the pen&paper predecessor, or you're just looking for an extensive computer RPG experience, you can't go wrong with Shadowrun Returns, for only 11.99 on GOG.com. The 40% off release discount offer last for 48 hours only, that's until Thursday, December 12, at 10:59AM GMT.
Already have this on Steam, but I've never actually played this beyond first 10 mins :D Preordered and all, was really excited, but I got sick on the release date for almost a week and didn't feel like playing, and just never got around to it after that for some reason. Still, shame that many games that've been coming here of late have been released already on Steam even months before. Step up your game, GOG! :D
Stebsis: Already have this on Steam, but I've never actually played this beyond first 10 mins :D Preordered and all, was really excited, but I got sick on the release date for almost a week and didn't feel like playing, and just never got around to it after that for some reason. Still, shame that many games that've been coming here of late have been released already on Steam even months before. Step up your game, GOG! :D
This delay was in no way GOG's fault. The Shadowrun game rights were actually owned by MICROSOFT. It's amazing it got here at all! What happened was the Kickstarter went through promising a DRM-free version. Then it finished and they realized Microsoft still held the game rights and Microsoft said no, DRM only. But they (Harebrained) had already promised the Kickstarter crowd a DRM-free copy. So the Kickstarter crowd alone got the DRM-free copy as well as a Steam copy. And then it was only available on Steam. Harebrained managed to somehow negotiate with Microsoft (likely using black magic) and actually got them to A-Okay a DRM-free official version! Thus the GOG version was born and it was glorious.
gooberking: So I have to choose between Linux and DRM-free again?

MERYL! Somebody find me Meryl.
jalister: It will also be provided through the Humble Store soon. You're one stop shop for DRM free and Linux.
Thanks for the info. Another game removed from my GOG wishlist...
MS don't care about games with a budget of 3 million dollars or a bit more, it doesn't even register on their radar. They answer was probably "Yeah whatever, you can sell it where you like...". The last time MS even tried to do something with the Shadowrun license they made a multiplayer FPS for Xbox 360 and it bombed.

jalister: It will also be provided through the Humble Store soon. You're one stop shop for DRM free and Linux.
Now we are headed for a nondramatic conclusion.
Crosmando: MS don't care about games with a budget of 3 million dollars or a bit more, it doesn't even register on their radar. They answer was probably "Yeah whatever, you can sell it where you like...". The last time MS even tried to do something with the Shadowrun license they made a multiplayer FPS for Xbox 360 and it bombed.
Except that was their exact opposite reaction originally. When MS first saw it, they went absolutely no, no, DRM ONLY. It's taken months for Harebrained to accomplish this.
Damn, just bought this one on Steam a couple of weeks ago. Frustrating. My only consolation is that I paid a little less for it because of a sale. Still burns my ass a little though.

Hey GOG any chance for a coming soon section that is up to date?
Crosmando: MS don't care about games with a budget of 3 million dollars or a bit more, it doesn't even register on their radar. They answer was probably "Yeah whatever, you can sell it where you like...". The last time MS even tried to do something with the Shadowrun license they made a multiplayer FPS for Xbox 360 and it bombed.
that game came to pc too, it was not bad, but could have been a lot better and seriously need a open world type of single player, i wanna explore that world not multiplay

Is this confirmed..?

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up about the linux version, didn't know it had one (didn't remember to check Steam page.. usually a good reference to see if there's a linux version).
Has anybody used the editor?

What's it like?
jackster79: Like many others, my first exposure to the franchise was via the SNES game. It was a linear story, and while you could revisit some areas you already went to, once you progressed the main story past them there was no reason to really go back to them.

I did not get to play the Genesis version, but I have read enough on it at the time that I wished I could have at least tried it. I know the open-world part of that game appealed to me, but it seemed that was done at the expense of the story.

If Bethesda could do another open-world franchise, I would pick this one (to those that would give me flak about this, I would ask them to name a developer that does open-world RPGs better and I will promote them over BethSoft). This game world is one that is ripe for this style of game.
Same here, the SNES one was my first experience of the franchise.

The Genesis version was awesome so long as you didn't mind the grindy repetitive side quests. It is very much the opposite of the SNES one in that it was more open, less linear and more of an RPG at the expense of the story as you said. If I had to choose one, I would choose the Genesis version as my favorite, though I liked them both and I think each version was good in their own way.

Bethesda making an open world Shadowrun game has been something i've wanted to happen too, glad i'm not the only one. :)
So, I suppose this is a sequel of sorts to the SNES version since...

*SPOILER*
You meet Jake Armitage in a morgue.
Post edited December 11, 2013 by Ophelium
wizardtypething: Has anybody used the editor?

What's it like?
Very easy to use. But it has too many limitations, for example the amount of text you can fit in a dialogue box is very small (not sure if this has changed). Also you can't change anything about the character system. It was obviously made only to support creating ~Shadowrun Returns scenarios~ and it's restricted to that.

I would of been awesome if for example a modder could change the character system so it uses rules from the Shadowrun P&P, but you can't do anything like that with it. Too much hardcoding.
Nice release!

I’ll wait for a stand-alone/non-Steam Linux version though.
Am I the only one that finds it highly ironic that Windows and Mac have DRM-free versions and Linux is now stuck with the DRM'd version?