It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Today we are cancelling the Ragnarök!

Rune Classic, a heroic third-person action game firmly rooted in the dark realm of the olden Norse mythology, is available 50% off on GOG.com. That's only $4.99 for the first week.

The Skalds say that the thread of a man's destiny is spinned by the Norns, the blind goddesses of fate. That some are destined to become warriors and fight in the name of Odin, the one-eyed Allfather, while others are doomed to cower in the darkness of their own hearts. That is true, but no man's fate is set in stone. Even the legendary warriors of ancient Sagas had to prove their worth before ascending to Valhalla and earning their place at Odin's table. Even the strongest thread can snap sometimes, and no mortal can take his destiny for granted. Especially in times, when Loki the Deceiver, the Trickster outcast of Asgård awakens once more to bring chaos to Midgard and to tangle up the sacred yarn of the Norns. You need to accept your destiny, Ragnar, Blade of Odin, but you need to show your worth, if you want to keep it.

Rune Classic, a classic third-person perspective action game, inspired by the heroic sagas of Norse mythology, will take you on a journey of bravery, honor, and blood. As Ragnar, a young Viking warrior newly initiated to the sacred Odinsblade Order, you'll be tasked to protect the mystical runestones, created by the one-eyed father of gods himself, to bind the evil Loki and stop him from causing chaos and suffering. Follow the hero on his path as he explores a land of Viking legends and draws blood of one brutal beast after another. This is the most extensive version of the game available, with the original campaign and the Halls of Valhalla expansion included. With lots of up-close exciting melee combat and a detailed fantastic setting, this title delivers hours of full-blooded Viking badassery in single and multi-player mode alike.

Stay up all night to get Loki! Earn your place in the Valhalla by proving your bravery to the Valkyrias in Rune Classic, for only $4.99 on GOG.com! The 50% off release discount offer lasts until Thor's Day, October 31, at 9:59AM GMT.
I remember playing this years ago. I borrowed it from a friend. I played it through a few times so it must have been pretty good. Certainly one would get their money's worth with this with all that's included.
Rune has been modded for anyone interested

http://www.moddb.com/mods/rune-120-rune-hd
I purchased the game here this morning, and now that I have some time to post, I want to say that I appreciate how well this release is packaged:

- revised/new version (Rune Classic) AND original version (Rune Gold), both of which include the expansion
- Rune Role Playing Game (tabletop RPG)
- soundtrack
- 50%-off release sale for one week (good discount, good window of opportunity)

Thanks, GOG! :)

DieRuhe: Woohoo! Time to crank up some Amon Amarth and start slaying!
Hells, yeah! :D

Valhall Awaits Me
Post edited October 24, 2013 by SeduceMePlz
xxxIndyxxx: Found this helpfull topic: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2748515

Seems they cut almost 1/4 of the game!! But in the topic there is a mod to put them back... So if I understand correctly the best way to experience Rune nowadays would be playing Rune Classic with the cut levels back in....
While that would seem like the best option, I played Rune a few times when it was still new-ish. I specifically remember not enjoying particular game points specifically due to the fluctuating pace and difficulty. While I have not yet played this new classic version, if they have done a good job with these edits it will, in fact, make the game a more consistent and enjoyable experience.

It looks like this might include both versions anyway? so no need for the mod?

[edit] for possibly amusing tale wall of text.

Due to the pacing and length of this game, I got into an almost involuntary twitch of hitting that quicksave button. Now this game is long. I think, its about a trilion hours to finish? Something like that. Anyway I was I think a few million hours in and just finished what I thought was a pretty epic set. So wandering aimlessly through empty space looking for more things to kill I was again spamming the quicksave key. While tearing around not really paying attention to where I was going due to being in a rush to just get on with killin, I stepped off a ledge... and twitch hit the quicksave. Problem is, I was half a second too late apparently. Loading the game already had the poor guy in mid air. An inescapable cycle of instantly falling to his death.

Wort part was, It wasn't until I did this a few times (I'm a bad, bad person. This cycle had me in girly giggles for a while.) that I went to manually load a previous game and found none. Yeah. that's right. There is NO autosave of any kind. Needless to say I was slightly gutted, and shocked speechless for a fair while. It was many grumpy weeks until I finally decided to play those several million hours all over again, just so I could actually finally finish the game.
Post edited October 25, 2013 by HeDanny
xxxIndyxxx: Found this helpfull topic: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2748515

Seems they cut almost 1/4 of the game!! But in the topic there is a mod to put them back... So if I understand correctly the best way to experience Rune nowadays would be playing Rune Classic with the cut levels back in....
HeDanny: While that would seem like the best option, I played Rune a few times when it was still new-ish. I specifically remember not enjoying particular game points specifically due to the fluctuating pace and difficulty. While I have not yet played this new classic version, if they have done a good job with these edits it will, in fact, make the game a more consistent and enjoyable experience.

It looks like this might include both versions anyway? so no need for the mod?
I have been replaying my cd copy since it was released here. I am 25 % through and am thoroughly enjoying it. I have no idea if i have already played a cut map or not but at this point I see no reason to cut anything. Sure it's a bit more difficult to find your way then in modern games but as far as games were back then: this isn't anything out of the ordinary. We were used to exploring and some harder difficulty (in gameplay and navigation). So if you don't mind exploring and getting stuck for a few minutes every once and awhile there is no problem.

And yes it includes the Original version. I have no idea how many other enhancements the classic version got. So if there are a some gameplay improvements, autosaves, some enhanced graphics, new enemies and all of these are actually worth it and not something you hardly notice and you do not have a working copy or want it digitally: I'd say it's worth it, since you can put the cut levels back in.
Does the "Rune gold" bonus have the "Halls of Valhalla" expansion with it?

http://www.gog.com/forum/rune_classic/rune_gold
Post edited October 25, 2013 by Rusty_Gunn
ne_zavarj: And where's Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom ?
Such eagerness to become a servant...
Finally on GOG with great bonuses.
Kabus: Finally on GOG with great bonuses.
But no avatars, darn it.
Rusty_Gunn: Does the "Rune gold" bonus have the "Halls of Valhalla" expansion with it?

http://www.gog.com/forum/rune_classic/rune_gold
I haven't downloaded it yet but yes, "Rune Gold" is the base game plus the Halls of Valhalla expansion.
Thank you so much for bringing this awesome game back to the masses. I'm buying a copy and I'm gifting another 5 copies to my friends. THIS GAME WAS BUILT FOR IT'S MULTIPLAYER! I never even got through the second level of Rune mostly because I didn't care to play the SP version... I will always remember RUNE for the brutality and pain that I could inflict upon my peers in the digital realm. ;D
high rated
Kabus: Finally on GOG with great bonuses.
Rusty_Gunn: But no avatars, darn it.
Here you go. :P
Attachments:
Rusty_Gunn: But no avatars, darn it.
assassin33: Here you go. :P
Thank you. a +1 for ya
assassin33: Here you go. :P
Rusty_Gunn: Thank you. a +1 for ya
You're welcome. :D