It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Re-charge and go!

Re-Volt, a dynamic racing game with tons of fun and excitement that only RC toy cars could possibly provide, is available on GOG.com, for only $5.99.

Go through the pipe, use the cardboard ramp to jump across the puddle, zip through the hole in the picket fence and take a sharp turn to fit on the sidewalk. Look at your opponent, he didn't make the turn, and now his car tumbles into the storm drain. Oh no! The battery runs low, and the finish line is still fifty feet away. Time to use the boost, you were saving through the whole race! Wooosh!!! Damn that pidgeon, why did he had to be in the way. Nevermind, the finish line. So close. Battery failing. So slow. Oh no, the buzzing of a tiny engine just around the corner. Get pass the finish line. Now. Victory!

Re-Volt will make your inner child squeal with joy! If you ever got to play with RC cars (or, really, any other type of toy cars as there is no limit to child's imagination), you will find the same whimsical excitement in this fantastic, colorful game. With many types of RC cars to choose from, a great selection of imaginative tracks improvised in some of the most unexpected places, and dynamic gameplay nicely conveying the "light" physics of toy cars. If you're looking for a racing game packed with tons of fun, this classic title is a safe pick for you!

Batteries and plastic can easily prove to be far more exciting than gasoline and metal in Re-Volt, on GOG.com, for only $5.99
I really wish I had jumped on this purchase right away. I still have my original retail CD but wanted this because - you know! :) I made mine a portable app with community fixes to get around installer issues on 64bit, etc. Hopefully it will come back soon!
Hi guys,

I'm part of the 1.2 patch team - we are a team of 2 developers, myself and jigebren. I can see there is a lot of excitement surrounding the take-down of Re-Volt, and while I understand the general feeling here, I'm also really glad about the stance the community has taken on behalf of us. I should note that we did contact GOG, shortly after the release of Re-Volt, in an attempt to find a graceful solution involving all the parties. Other than an automated receipt we haven't heard back from them.

We have been in touch with We Go Interactive since long before this GOG ordeal, and so far our correspondence with them has been nothing short of a headache. They make deliberately misleading statements all the time and for no real reason. At first we were asked to help out with code and assets, for which we gave our proposal - we expressed interest in the PC distribution rights. After several left and right turns we reached nowhere with them, and they decided to work with BigBit instead for an iOS release.

We continued to keep in touch with them afterwards when suddenly we find that the distribution rights was handed over to H2 Interactive and, to make ends meet, a random unstable build of our patch was lifted off the internet and used. They have ended up with a product they just happened to find on a website, something they have no way of providing support for, and built from code that was meant for testing purposes only. I believe they had also tried to hide some of these facts, as they had edited our patch executable to remove the "beta" watermark. They chose to do business with H2I for all this mess and now they've turned towards the community for "cooperation" because H2I is incapable of doing anything...

We are still open to hearing a decent proposal from them, failing which they just have to stop using our patch in the product they sell. I hope GOG continues to do the right thing and keep the game off shelves in good will for our team, and the community as well.

Huki
Post edited February 05, 2014 by hukiczka
Rincewind81: Reading in "their" forums just leaves the impression that the main reason for all the bitching is not "they didn't ask us", it is because "we are a small elitist community and don't want new people playing "our" game at all" - so they are fine with just letting the original game being removed from the store...

I would have never believed, that a game community can be this destructible to their own game...

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Revolt_Live/index.php?showtopic=3236
My thoughts, word by word, and with a very illustrative thread to back those statements up. In my twenty-ish years of gaming never did I come across such an elitist, vile community built around a game that, in all honesty, isn't all that great, to begin with. Sure, it's cool and fun, but definitely is no Mario Kart or Micro Machines.

I didn't even know about this game until it got available on GOG, and yet the community prefers to throw a fit and have it removed, leaving people without even knowing the game exists. Like I said before, XIII got pulled, Guilty Gear X2 #Reload got pulled and both communities around those games have been but patient and trusting GOG will sort the legal issues and get them back on their catalog. But the Re-Volt community wants to have the game exclusively for them and only them, free from the corruption of outsiders and newcomers.

Well, if things are like that, I'm actually sorry I bought the game, because I don't want to even be mistaken as a hypothetical member of that community. Keep your decent game, then, and enjoy it within your closed -- and close-minded -- community.
hukiczka: Hi guys,

I'm part of the 1.2 patch team - we are a team of 2 developers, myself and jigebren. I can see there is a lot of excitement surrounding the take-down of Re-Volt, and while I understand the general feeling here, I'm also really glad about the stance the community has taken on behalf of us. I should note that we did contact GOG, shortly after the release of Re-Volt, in an attempt to find a graceful solution involving all the parties. Other than an automated receipt we haven't heard back from them.

We have been in touch with We Go Interactive since long before this GOG ordeal, and so far our correspondence with them has been nothing short of a headache. They make deliberately misleading statements all the time and for no real reason. At first we were asked to help out with code and assets, for which we gave our proposal - we expressed interest in the PC distribution rights. After several left and right turns we reached nowhere with them, and they decided to work with BigBit instead for an iOS release.

We continued to keep in touch with them afterwards when suddenly we find that the distribution rights was handed over to H2 Interactive and, to make ends meet, a random unstable build of our patch was lifted off the internet and used. They have ended up with a product they just happened to find on a website, something they have no way of providing support for, and built from code that was meant for testing purposes only. I believe they had also tried to hide some of these facts, as they had edited our patch executable to remove the "beta" watermark. They chose to do business with H2I for all this mess and now they've turned towards the community for "cooperation" because H2I is incapable of doing anything...

We are still open to hearing a decent proposal from them, failing which they just have to stop using our patch in the product they sell. I hope GOG continues to do the right thing and keep the game off shelves in good will for our team, and the community as well.

Huki
Hi Huki, thank you for signing up here to present the gog community the point of view of the 1.2 patch developers of this unpleasent and confusing (for the non-involved) incident, appreciated. Infact, I was not aware that there were previous (long ongoing?) negotiations between you and WeGo, understood that there was no contact at all (no english?). A contact, which was stopped abruptly from their side while later using your work in falsificated form, therefore I understand you frustration and "harsh" demand to take it down.

Hope that in some near future we all can celebrate this classical gem AND your hard work on it, when this mess was sorted out for the good of everyone, maybe with help of the good folks of gog.com. :)
Post edited February 05, 2014 by shaddim
Rincewind81: Reading in "their" forums just leaves the impression that the main reason for all the bitching is not "they didn't ask us", it is because "we are a small elitist community and don't want new people playing "our" game at all" - so they are fine with just letting the original game being removed from the store...

I would have never believed, that a game community can be this destructible to their own game...

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Revolt_Live/index.php?showtopic=3236
At that point, I'd slap the community. That's the sort of stupid I expect from a butthurt developer or a really stingy company who doesn't understand the concept of 'free money'.
hukiczka: Hi guys,

Huki
How much did you ask for?
I've decided to "borrow" some of the original source material of Star Wars and make my own edit of the movie. Of course, if Disney attempts to re-release Star Wars with any of *my* edits in there, they better negotiate with me or they can expect to hear from my lawyer!
hukiczka: snip

Huki
Hi Huki,

If I may, what exactly would you consider a decent proposal? Even after reading upon the issue, it's not clear to me what you guys want.

And since you took the trouble to sign up and post in this thread, would you be so kind and answer some of the questions and clear up the uncertainties regarding the legal status and licensing regarding the source code of the cancelled Xbox port? If you read back a couple of pages, you'll see what I'm talking about.
I redact my statement and apologize.
Post edited February 06, 2014 by AdamR
groze: My thoughts, word by word, and with a very illustrative thread to back those statements up. In my twenty-ish years of gaming never did I come across such an elitist, vile community built around a game that, in all honesty, isn't all that great, to begin with. Sure, it's cool and fun, but definitely is no Mario Kart or Micro Machines.

I didn't even know about this game until it got available on GOG, and yet the community prefers to throw a fit and have it removed, leaving people without even knowing the game exists. Like I said before, XIII got pulled, Guilty Gear X2 #Reload got pulled and both communities around those games have been but patient and trusting GOG will sort the legal issues and get them back on their catalog. But the Re-Volt community wants to have the game exclusively for them and only them, free from the corruption of outsiders and newcomers.

Well, if things are like that, I'm actually sorry I bought the game, because I don't want to even be mistaken as a hypothetical member of that community. Keep your decent game, then, and enjoy it within your closed -- and close-minded -- community.
AdamR: My thoughts, too. Word for word. I was hoping I wasn't the only one feeling this way.
I bought it, played it, and had some decent fun. Nothing amazing, but it was a decent time waster. But after seeing the community, I just feel like a dick for owning the game now. I don't want to be lumped in with other Re-Volt players. Besides, the game isn't even fun anymore after this shitstorm.

By purchasing the game here, I've been accused of being "happy with buying something that's been stolen," and "supporting thieves." And to be honest, I think I am happy about it now.
The only consolation from buying the game is that I pissed off the Re-Volt community, and gave a few cents to GOG.

Congratulations to the Re-Volt community on your little revolution. You've successfully stopped people from being able to play "your" game, made people miserable, and now everybody hates you.
now no need for our communities to start bashing away at each other, there's just no need of it. we don't know what their community has had to deal with in this process up to now, so there is no need to bother deciding anything about them. one guy trundled on to this forum and made one of the vilest posts I have come across so far, but let's not paint the whole community with a broad stroke because of that guy. I get that there is elitism and isolationist nonsense and whatnot, but that actually happens a lot in these user maintained old-game communities. nothing new really.

the more I look into this though the more puzzled I get as to why gog actually went ahead and removed the game from catalog.
Post edited February 05, 2014 by johnnygoging
johnnygoging: now no need for our communities to start bashing away at each other, there's just no need of it. we don't know what their community has had to deal with in this process up to now, so there is no need to bother deciding anything about them. one guy trundled on to this forum and made one of the vilest posts I have come across so far, but let's not paint the whole community with a broad stroke because of that guy. I get that there is elitism and isolationist nonsense and whatnot, but that actually happens a lot in these user maintained old-game communities. nothing new really.
Fair enough. My feelings are only based on reading a couple of threads and blog posts. I'm trying to give every party the benefit of the doubt, but it gets difficult when we are attacked in this thread.
Not that the GOG community is completely clean in this - There have been some really nasty posts from both sides. I guess everyone could be a little more open minded.

I am wondering if there is a communication problem among the Re-Volt community, though. From this thread, the Re-Volt forums, and the Re-Volt blog, I have read different accounts of how many times the parties have contacted them. There is a lot of contradicting information.
I've read that We Go hasn't communicated at all, that We Go have communicated several times (but poorly,) and some people seem to indicate a refusal to communicate with We Go at all. Similarly, I have read that GOG only gave an automated response to them, and nothing since - when there actually is a second, non-automated response from GOG.
So I'm not really sure what to believe is going on.
Post edited February 06, 2014 by AdamR
Why do modders all seem to be such drama whores?
Post edited February 06, 2014 by Crosmando
Crosmando: Why do modders all seem to be such drama whores?
Its their unauthorized intellectual property baby!

...That would be my closest guess.
Darvond: Its their unauthorized intellectual property baby!

Well, it just seems like their hasn't been some modding community or large modding project that hasn't at some stage had some drama, people storming out and claiming the others can no longer use their work, etc etc.

Even the Vampire Bloodlines modding community has this ongoing drama between the "unofficial patch" by Wesp and the "Gold" patch by Tessera, in which the latter constantly claims the unofficial patch is terrible and adds too much to the game.
Darvond: Its their unauthorized intellectual property baby!

Crosmando: Well, it just seems like their hasn't been some modding community or large modding project that hasn't at some stage had some drama, people storming out and claiming the others can no longer use their work, etc etc.

Even the Vampire Bloodlines modding community has this ongoing drama between the "unofficial patch" by Wesp and the "Gold" patch by Tessera, in which the latter constantly claims the unofficial patch is terrible and adds too much to the game.
I have no idea about Vampire Bloodlines is, but on the manner of options, allow me to make use of a poor metaphor. Options are like choosing toppings for pizza. As long as they're optional and you can delegate how much and how little with a wide variety of ingredients, everyone should be happy.

'Lack of options/user experience customization' is a bit of a frustration I've had with Nintendo systems. I don't want the plain white background, why can't the folders be color coded, etc... The way I see it, if its a fairly reasonable thing, you should let the user control how it looks as long as it functions to them. And at the very least, include a dark theme to reduce eye strain.