It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The future is furry!

Inherit the Earth, a classic point-and-click adventure game set in the post-human times when animals take over, is available on GOG.com, for only $5.99

Is there a place for humankind in Earth's future? Many would argue that the planet is ours and we will inhabit it for as long as it can nurture life. This might not be the case. In this amazing story, humans are but the stuff of legends, a thing of the past long gone. Animals are the new rulers and they starting to resemble us in many ways, taking on our merits and flaws as a species. There is much uncertainty about the fate of humans and the origins of the animals civilization, and there are many secrets to uncover. One unwilling adventurer will face all the mysteries he wouldn't even dream of as his quest to clear his good name takes him on an unexpected journey.

Inherit the Earth tells an intriguing story of mystery and magic by the means of classic point-and-click adventure gameplay. It sports excellent pixel-art graphics that makes the future world vivid and the anthropomorphic characters believable. The quest that lies before Rif of the Fox Tribe, our main protagonist, is involving and it will keep you entertained down to the last click. If you enjoy point-and-click adventures of the 1990s, make sure not to miss this original little gem.

Venture into the woodland future and witness the adventure of our furry descendants in Inherit the Earth, for only $5.99.
Interestingly, the developer of this game (The Dreamer's Guild) also worked on I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. They had different publishers but it still could be a good sign.
mondo84: Interestingly, the developer of this game (The Dreamer's Guild) also worked on I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. They had different publishers but it still could be a good sign.
Wow, from I Have No Mouth to this game, that's a huge change in the type of game. I guess working on such a depressing game made them only want to work on something with cute furries in it
mondo84: Interestingly, the developer of this game (The Dreamer's Guild) also worked on I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. They had different publishers but it still could be a good sign.
Crosmando: Wow, from I Have No Mouth to this game, that's a huge change in the type of game. I guess working on such a depressing game made them only want to work on something with cute furries in it
They actually worked on Inherit the Earth one year before IHNMAIMS, so it seems working with the cute furries is actually what depressed them. :P
mondo84: They actually worked on Inherit the Earth one year before IHNMAIMS, so it seems working with the cute furries is actually what depressed them. :P
According to Wikipedia, ITE was supposed to be made for adults with a far grimmer atmosphere and it was in fact the published, who associated "cute" animals with children, that they were forced to cut them out, thus greatly reducing the nature of the narrative. So in reality, the jump from this game to IHNMAIMS is not that far (although the latter is perhaps a jump too far in that specific direction).

P.S.: Seeing how many people have requested it, getting the DOS or ScummVM version would be an excellent addition to this release.
Post edited June 04, 2013 by de_Monteynard
YellowAries: LMFAO... One of the screenshots the animals are looking at these huge doors and one of them says "Look at those Knockers!"
Heh. Didn't even notice that before. It made me think of this.
Beautiful graphics.

Not into point-n-click games these days, but it sure is a good old release.
Hey, has anyone here played this game:
http://www.wyrmkeep.com/labyrinth/

The people selling it are the same ones published Inherit the Earth here on GOG. Looks interesting.
Crosmando: Hey, has anyone here played this game:
http://www.wyrmkeep.com/labyrinth/

The people selling it are the same ones published Inherit the Earth here on GOG. Looks interesting.
I played it a long time ago, got it from a bargain bin probably 3-4 years after its release. I wasn't terribly impressed. It's basically a collection of lots of fixed pre-rendered screens, connected by rudimentary adventure puzzles. There isn't much of a plot or story, and the screens are connected in completely illogical ways - like entering a room in a hotel only to end up in a train wagon. The general setting kind of explains how that can happen, and the developers obviously aimed for a surreal atmosphere, but the game just feels eclectic, and haphazardly thrown together. The game also tried to impress with a large amount of graphics (which were high resolution at the time, CDs had just become common, and I think this was one of the three first CD games that I owned), but they will feel very dated by now, and they are entirely lifeless.

The 13$ that the devs are currently asking for it seem way too much for me. If it were cheaper, I'd say have a look if you like adventure games that are basically just an assortment of puzzles in random (but not randomized) environments.
Post edited June 04, 2013 by Psyringe
hunvagy: Well they also made this: http://www.mobygames.com/game/halls-of-the-dead-faery-tale-adventure-ii

Now this I'd love to see here.
timppu: But wasn't that game unfinished?

I'd love to see it too, but just because I loved the original Faery Tale Adventure on Amiga. No matter that 95% of the game world was empty in that case, but it was still a very charming game, and very exciting to find in the middle of night some isolated hut or dungeon at the end of a road...

Somehow the original Faery Tale Adventure always reminds me a bit of Ultima 7, even though the latter is certainly a more advanced and a better game, and quite different game overall.
Could be that it's unfinished, but there's still an ISO of it floating around, with voice acting and the works. But wouldn't mind owning it on my games library shelf :) And yeah, Halls of the Dead reminds me of Pagan a lot, because of the viewport. And if I recall both Faery Tale games are more adventure and less RPG then the Ultima series.
Nice, i wanted to try out that one :)
Wishlisted !
Wishlisted!
Thank you GOG for another solid good old game.
Keep em comin.
Already bought this years ago from Wyrmkeep...

...But I'm going to buy it again here anyway, just because.

Also, in case anyone is interested there's an official webcomic that continues the story after the game:

www.inherittheearth.net
Post edited June 05, 2013 by ReynardFox
timppu: But wasn't that game unfinished?

I'd love to see it too, but just because I loved the original Faery Tale Adventure on Amiga. No matter that 95% of the game world was empty in that case, but it was still a very charming game, and very exciting to find in the middle of night some isolated hut or dungeon at the end of a road...

Somehow the original Faery Tale Adventure always reminds me a bit of Ultima 7, even though the latter is certainly a more advanced and a better game, and quite different game overall.
hunvagy: Could be that it's unfinished, but there's still an ISO of it floating around, with voice acting and the works. But wouldn't mind owning it on my games library shelf :) And yeah, Halls of the Dead reminds me of Pagan a lot, because of the viewport. And if I recall both Faery Tale games are more adventure and less RPG then the Ultima series.
Its not unfinished I have a boxed copy of FTA2: Halls Dead, bought it at a babbages back in the late 90's.
Thiev: There is a new version (2.0.0.7) on server which should have color issue fixed. Or, if you prefer, I can tell you how to fix your game, but it involves editing windows registry ;-)

Please re-download the game. I apologise for that slight trouble.
2.0.0.7? I'm downloading it right now but my copy is marked as 2.0.0.6...
Post edited June 05, 2013 by ReynardFox
I am trying to remember this game. For whatever reason it rings a bell but just can't place it. Amusing to see an environmental themed game from the 90's, things weren't so nasty back then when it came to talking about environmental things.