It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Per aspera ad astra!

Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate Edition an epic Sci-Fi turn-based strategy game of great complexity and scale, telling the story of humankind's conquest and domination over the galaxy, is available 20% off on GOG.com. That's only $7.99 for the first week.

Up until now there wasn't much anyone could do. The only way to colonize other worlds was to use wormhole travel. It allowed to cover great distances, but the range of the fleets were limited to those few fixed points on the stellar map. Now, with the invention of the hyperdrive and faster-than-light travel, there's no place out of our reach among the stars. This is it. The pivotal point in the history of humankind. Our coming of age. Now it's up to us to find out if we are destined to be elevated to rule over the galaxy or reduced to slaves. A.D. 2178 - the new age of discovery and conquest. Time to face the other galactic civilizations. May we overcome them all!

Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate Edition puts you in charge of the humankind's campaign for domination of Milky Way. In this epic turn-based strategy you're going to use all possible means to conquer the other great powers of the known universe--The Altarian Republic, The Yor Collective, The Drengin Empire, The Torian Confederation and the Arcean Empire. You can use diplomacy and cunning to divide and rule. You can focus on sheer military power to force the rivals into obedience. You can try to assimilate the others into the Terran culture, or crush their economies with your effective commerce. You can finally focus on technological advancement and conquer the stars with the might of human mind and its superior inventions. The possibilities are endless, and it's all up to you, as the leader of United Earth. The Ultimate Edition of the game contains the Altarian Prophecy expansion pack. If that's still not enough space conquest for you, there's an extensive scenario editor included!

Set out for the stars and explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate in Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate Edition, for only $7.99 on GOG.com. The 20% discount is available until Thursday, April 18, at 10:59AM GMT.
ZivilSword: Since GalCiv1 and 2 are already DRM-free on Steam, there is no actual need for them coming to GOG.
More options are never a bad thing. Especially in this case as, no matter where you buy GalCiv, you will need to use Steam. The only possible exception to this is probably the European retail edition.

ZivilSword: To the game itself: I bought GalCiv2, but compared to Alpha Centauri it's too black/dark for me (no atmosphere), and I really don't know on many occasions, how and why something is calculated. The game leaves me clueless. Also the focus is too much on fighting an level up the military units and techs.
Compared to the first game, GalCiv2 actually does a pretty good job at explaining everything. Even if you don't understand something, you can always ask on the forums. The setting isn't for everyone, agreed, but I like it very much. It also depends on what version you played. The base game and first expansion only provided small parts of the lore. Only in Twilight of the Arnor began it really to show, and became something unique.

As for the heavy focus on combat, I can't agree with that at all. There are many ways to win without having to fight. In one game, I build up a trade empire. I started trade routes with all the major races, and then used economy starbases to boost them further. Eventually, the other races became so dependent on the income provided by me, they would freely become my allies. In another game, I played as arms dealer. Began wars between other races and then provided both side with the necessary hardware. With the earned money I bought planets from the other races, and eventually began to culture flip the rest. Those are only a few of the non-violent playthroughs I had.

Please, don't understand this as me bashing you or your opinion. All I'm saying is, that there is more to the game, than you give it credit for, and I would really like it, if you give GalCiv2 another try.
Jeysie: I'm hoping for GC2 with all the updates. I own it, but Impulse refuses to play nice with my PC so I can't update it any more (and the various updates are much of the fun...)
Erich_Zann: If I'm not mistaken, Impulse is dead and buried. You should be able to download GalCiv2 fully up-to-date here : download.stardock.com
Just use your Impulse login info, that worked for me.
no good. Still tells me to download from Gamestop. Redirects me to store.stardock.com/myaccount/products when I try typing in that url
Erich_Zann: If I'm not mistaken, Impulse is dead and buried. You should be able to download GalCiv2 fully up-to-date here : download.stardock.com
Just use your Impulse login info, that worked for me.
wizisi2k: no good. Still tells me to download from Gamestop. Redirects me to store.stardock.com/myaccount/products when I try typing in that url
You're right, the url's now https://store.stardock.com/myaccount/products
This said, I just tried for myself what I wrote : logging in with my old Impulse credentials, I get a page with a list of the couple games I have from them, the serial numbers and "download" buttons. I tried downloading GalCiv2 and it started normally. Weird that it would redirect you to Gamestop and let me download directly.
I didn't buy GalCiv2 from Impulse (registered my retail version, for the patches) though, that may be the salient point ?
Erich_Zann: I didn't buy GalCiv2 from Impulse (registered my retail version, for the patches) though, that may be the salient point ?
Only the Ultimate Edition is available as direct-download from Stardock. For all the previous editions, you have to use Impulse.
Erich_Zann: I didn't buy GalCiv2 from Impulse (registered my retail version, for the patches) though, that may be the salient point ?
Gaunathor: Only the Ultimate Edition is available as direct-download from Stardock. For all the previous editions, you have to use Impulse.
That makes sense. I got the base & DA in a retail box and TOTA as a beta from SD. That must be another point. I also own Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity but I own it in the form of the base and 2 expansions bought as they were made available for pre-order.
The following games are available as a full download from Stardock that I have in my account: Corporate Machine, Galactic civilizations 1: Ultimate (good reason why I haven't bought it here is I got DRM free direct from company when it was on sale for a dollar), Elemental: War of Magic, Fallen Enchantress, and Demigod along with the map pack DLC. Everything else is Gamestop and/or Steam keys.
Yeah, I get the same deal. I have to download the stupid client. Sigh.

This is why I love GOG. Just the game, no muss no fuss.
Really want to buy GC 2 Ultimate Edition here on GOG!
deathmachinept: Really want to buy GC 2 Ultimate Edition here on GOG!
+1 Bring it on!!!!!!!!