It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Your terror will be legendary--even in hell!

Clive Barker’s Undying, a captivating horror-themed first person shooter with a dark arcane story penned by one of contemporary the masters of terrifying fiction, is available on GOG.com, for only $5.99.

The Covenant siblings had no bad intentions. Just some words found in an old book from the father's library--what harm could they do? It was going to be all fun, and only fun to utter the blasphemous passages at the old standing stones in the garden. So they called upon the darkness, never expecting it would answer. It did. A dark occult ritual unleashed ancient demonic forces upon the Covenant Estate on the coast of Ireland. A demonic presence threatens to unravel the very fabric of our reality. You are Patrick Galloway, an expert on the occult, the wielder of the demonic Gel'ziabar Stone, and a friend to Jeremiah Covenent, the eldest of the siblings. You are summoned to end the chaos and free the condemned souls.

Clive Barker’s Undying is a first person shooter that delivers fantastic action gameplay and splices it with occult mystery and terror. You will face horrors from hell and put them to rest with incredible weapons like the Tibetan hand cannon or the Scythe of the Celt. Clive Barker, himself, influenced the story greatly and even voiced one of the characters. If you are a horror fan and enjoy immersive FPS gameplay, no force in heaven nor hell should stop you from playing this one!

Find out why the dead are restless and help them on their way back to the void in Clive Barker’s Undying, for only $5.99 on GOG.com!
rampancy: -snip-

Oh, and if you're interested in learning the ropes about Wineskin, you're welcome to check out my tutorial: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/gog_games_on_mac_os_x_a_how_to/post6
Thanks! I might pick it up, yeah.

And thanks for the link. Mainly, it's the configurations of WINE-based setups and how they affect the programs you're attempting to run that confuse the hell out of me.
Yay! I forgot what this was at first, but it sounded familiar so I had to check it out. Now I can't wait to play it, insta-buy.
Post edited March 20, 2013 by Gunsang
this is incredible! I was going to the job this morning and the thought cross my mind how it would be very nice to have Undying on gog. Then during the break i went to the gog site to see if there's anything new - and the first thing i saw was the undying banner...fantastic!!!! I will try my spells even further: CIVIL WAR GENERALS II :)
This is a great game, one of the best horror themed games out there imo.

However sadly, I also think the first half, or perhaps 3/4ths of the game hold up a lot better then the ladder part of the game, where it goes into a more cliche/"actiony" style of gameplay not quite as heavy on the atmosphere/story as the first part of the game.

Still an excellent game I can't wait to get again.
keremix: is this based on a book?
jamyskis: No. Clive Barker contributed towards writing the story for the game.
Yes, I understand that the story and game were both quite advanced in development before Clive Barker became attached to it, so it's very much a case of "contributed towards". I believe he influenced some character changes (and in particular I think the player character was revised significantly).

Fever_Discordia: I'm enjoying Realms of the Haunting at the moment and I'm sure someone said this is something of a spiritual successor
No, that's not the case (although I too fell into the trap of thinking that it would be so, when Undying first came out).

There are a great many similarities between the two games, such that I can only presume that either ROTH was an influence on Undying, or that both games ultimately derived many elements from the same source material. However the similarities are really only on the surface.

I actually found myself extremely disappointed in Undying while I was trying to find in it that spiritual successor to ROTH. After a while, I realised that they really are completely different games; and as soon as I started to see Undying for what it was rather than what it wasn't, I started to enjoy it.

Bloodygoodgames: I didn't get remotely scared at Amnesia, but Undying scared the hell out of me.
But... but... Undying isn't a scary game, and Amnesia is terrifying. Your brain is obviously all back to front!

tinyE: ... My luck, in the GOG version, when you lop off someone's head it goes flying out of the monitor and lands in your room, splattering you and the walls with blood. For that I WOULD buy the GOG version! Shit, for that I'd buy EVERY forum member a GOG version! :D
Well, that got weird.
Post edited March 20, 2013 by Shadowcat
Nice release, GOG :)

All things considered, Undying is a fine game. It does a lot of things well (a few things very well indeed), and it contains some of the most beautiful level designs that I've ever encountered. At the time, the game was a thing of quite remarkable beauty, and I suspect that, even now, it will still retain the power to make you stop and stare on occasion.

That said, it also has plenty of failings, and ultimately it really is a mixture of the superb and the ho-hum. There are so many good things about it, but the poor aspects drag the overall experience down a notch or two. (I also understand that, sadly, some of the constraints were the consequence of an intended console version that never actually came to fruition.)

I think the most unnecessary disappointment of the game was the voice acting, which is frequently atrocious (although some of it is perfectly fine.) I always think that with the amount of money poured into games like this, there's simply no excuse for not hiring good actors. Jeremiah, Aaron, and pretty much all the servants were especially cringe-worthy.

The gameplay itself isn't terribly special for the most part (not that there aren't some nice features/innovations in this area too, but at a basic level it's your usual FPS 'explore and kill' fare). It does sport one of my all-time favourite FPS features, however, as the game mixes the gunplay with spell-casting (using a truly elegant interface, for which the designers deserve a great deal of praise). Fans of "Requiem: Avenging Angel" should definitely apply (or, you know, "Bioshock"). Do make sure that you play with the spells, and don't fall into the trap of settling on just one or two favourite attacks -- not everything reacts the same way. (Another handy hint is to always check to see what (if anything) the weapon action button does on each new weapon you get. You'll miss out on some nice features if you forget about this.)

I was also pleased to find a good amount of generally cool things towards the end of the game, that kept my interest up. Some games fizzle in the latter stages but, despite some sequences perhaps outstaying their welcome, Undying generally got better, which is something of an accomplishment.

My original conclusion was that "I still can't recommend people rush out and buy it, but I believe that most people will find much to like about it if they do. Your overall impression will likely depend on the extent to which the other things frustrate or annoy you."

(Of course for GOG's price, the game is a bargain; but you should still set your expectations appropriately.)

p.s. Undying also has some of the best Easter eggs hidden away. Once you've completed the game, be sure to look them up online :)
Post edited March 20, 2013 by Shadowcat
Shadowcat: ...
My bank account hates you.
Great release.
CaptainGyro: This was the number one game on my wishlist for years. I eventually ended up buying it on disk from amazon this past December, normally if I didn't have it already I would be shitting in my pants again in excitement at this release today.

But I will still double dip and re-purchase just because I think you guys deserve it for landing a game that was so high on my wishlist
If you have it you should've bought a copy for someone who doean't have one yet. ;p
Some widescreen/custom resolution and FOV fixes here: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Clive_Barker%27s_Undying
Shadowcat: I think the most unnecessary disappointment of the game was the voice acting, which is frequently atrocious (although some of it is perfectly fine.) I always think that with the amount of money poured into games like this, there's simply no excuse for not hiring good actors. Jeremiah, Aaron, and pretty much all the servants were especially cringe-worthy.
Fun fact Aaron was vioced by Clive Barker.
Shadowcat: I think the most unnecessary disappointment of the game was the voice acting, which is frequently atrocious (although some of it is perfectly fine.) I always think that with the amount of money poured into games like this, there's simply no excuse for not hiring good actors.
-------------------
Jeremiah, Aaron, and pretty much all the servants were especially cringe-worthy.
===============
The gameplay itself isn't terribly special for the most part (not that there aren't some nice features/innovations in this area too, but at a basic level it's your usual FPS 'explore and kill' fare).
--------------
It does sport one of my all-time favourite FPS features, however, as the game mixes the gunplay with spell-casting (using a truly elegant interface, for which the designers deserve a great deal of praise). Fans of "Requiem: Avenging Angel" should definitely apply (or, you know, "Bioshock"). Do make sure that you play with the spells, and don't fall into the trap of settling on just one or two favourite attacks -- not everything reacts the same way. (Another handy hint is to always check to see what (if anything) the weapon action button does on each new weapon you get. You'll miss out on some nice features if you forget about this.)
==================
I was also pleased to find a good amount of generally cool things towards the end of the game, that kept my interest up. Some games fizzle in the latter stages but, despite some sequences perhaps outstaying their welcome, Undying generally got better, which is something of an accomplishment.

My original conclusion was that "I still can't recommend people rush out and buy it, but I believe that most people will find much to like about it if they do. Your overall impression will likely depend on the extent to which the other things frustrate or annoy you."
-------------
(Of course for GOG's price, the game is a bargain; but you should still set your expectations appropriately.)

p.s. Undying also has some of the best Easter eggs hidden away. Once you've completed the game, be sure to look them up online :)
I call bullsh*t. :P
------------------
Well, they can't all be voiced by veteran talent with the voice of angels, now can they?
=========
You say this as if this style of play's a bad thing. 0.o
--------------
The whole "scry spell shows secrets" thing was awesome too, imo
=============
Dammit, man, either love it or hate it...you can't sit on the fence forever. :p ;)
----------------
I wonder how many people finished this/other games yet still missed things after playing their favorites many times over(and no, I don't mean missing stuff in games with multiple playthrough paths, for which mising stuff is common. I mean missing stuff in more linear/simplistic fare.)? :\

(Example: I'm playing through Doom 3 again and I found a few secret areas/item caches I never did the first several times through.)
Shadowcat: I think the most unnecessary disappointment of the game was the voice acting, which is frequently atrocious (although some of it is perfectly fine.) I always think that with the amount of money poured into games like this, there's simply no excuse for not hiring good actors. Jeremiah, Aaron, and pretty much all the servants were especially cringe-worthy.
Johnmourby: Fun fact Aaron was vioced by Clive Barker.
A little correction, Ambrose was voiced by Clive Barker, not Aaron
gandalf.nho: [ A little correction, Ambrose was voiced by Clive Barker, not Aaron
My mistake. I get their names mixed up.
gandalf.nho: [ A little correction, Ambrose was voiced by Clive Barker, not Aaron
Johnmourby: My mistake. I get their names mixed up.
No problem.

But is funny Ambrose, being voiced by Clive Barker, is the sibling with the smaller participation in-game...