It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's BIG.

Avadon 2: The Corruption, a stand-alone open-ended adventure in a huge world, with all the best features we grew to expect from a truly old-school computer RPG, is available 25% off on GOG.com, for Windows and Mac. That's only $7.49 for the first week.

You are an agent of Avadon. The Black Fortress. Your job is to protect your homeland from the limitless threats that surround it. Titans. Monsters. Barbarians. Fading, jealous empires. The warriors and spies of Avadon must keep them weak and divided. Your resources are unlimited, and all must obey you. But then Avadon was attacked. A sneak raid shattered the fortress, and, with it unable to keep order, madness has resulted. Civil war, barbarian raids, even conspiracies to destroy your people. The Fortress' power and influence has faded, and yet your people need it more than ever.Everything is falling apart, and a shadowy power has risen to destroy your homeland. What will you do? Will you fight your enemies? Or will you join them and end Avadon’s reign once and for all? The choice is yours!

Avadon 2: The Corruption continues the best tradition of Spiderweb Software computer role-playing games. Not unlike the Avernum and Geneforge series, here too we are presented with an epic-scaled, detailed, and original gameworld full of possibilities. Pair that with clear isometric graphics, classic turn-based gameplay mechanics, and tons of items, spells, and character abilities, and what you get is a game so involving and satisfying, that it will make every true classic cRPG fan's head spin. Finish off with a gripping story, reactive narrative, and dozens of hours worth of quests and side missions--there you go: old-school RPG perfection.

Immerse yourself in the huge gameworld, and begin your non-linear true RPG experience in Jeff Vogel's newest epic RPG, Avadon 2: The Corruption, for only $7.49 on GOG.com. The 25% release discount offer lasts until Wednesday, November 6, at 9:59AM GMT.
timppu: No comment to Avadon, the little I have played the first one didn't really give me strong impression either way yet.

RafaelLopez: When I think classic and 5 stars, I think polished, addictive, easily to pick up even if challenging, with a charming setting, looking great, like Ultima 7, Baldur's Gate and Fallout for example.
timppu: Maybe a little misplaced examples, you should have used Baldur's Gate 2 as an example instead. :) BG2 is a gem to me.

I can't say I would call at least vanilla Ultima 7, or even Baldur's Gate, polished. Ultima 7 had major user interface (the inventory system??? Gawd...), as well as performance (uneven game speed, due to e.g. constant HD access) issues. Frankly, the whole Voodoo memory manager system was awful. And trying to get all your party members to get seated in a vehicle was an unintentional mini-game in itself.

Baldur's Gate (at least vanilla, not TuTu mods or Enhanced Edition remakes): no good quest log, party members or NPCs blocking each others in corridors or wandering off to opposite directions in mazes and such, pixel hunting for loot, and a boring story. Quite average overall. Baldur's Gate 2 + Throne of Baal fixed all these issues, though.

And Fallout... wasn't it buggy as heck? And still is?
You named real issues of all these games, but putting these games in context, they were groundbreaking at time of release and are remembered even today for a reason. All games have bugs, but they *were* very polished in most aspects, moreso in comparison to the Avadon series.
Post edited November 01, 2013 by RafaelLopez
riposter70: If I was giving advice to a potential buyer, I would say, read and learn about what the Spiderweb RPG's do, because they do them very well. If you don't like what they are offering, that's a different story.
But that's the point, everywhere I read about the Avadon series all aspects are overrated and don't translate realistically in the actual game. That is my complaint, otherwise I wanted so hard to love all Spiderweb games...
RafaelLopez: All games have bugs, but they *were* very polished in most aspects, moreso in comparison to the Avadon series.
Gee, one developer versus many. There's only so much one person can do, you know. Also, see Eschalon... and I dare say Basilisk's offering is only somewhat more polished because the development cycles for those games are quite a bit longer than where Spiderweb's offerings are concerned.

Anyway, I don't get the comparison to the big name RPGs of old either. Yes, it's in an older style. Yes, it can be quite fun. No, it won't ever rival any of the former. I typically enjoy what Spiderweb has to offer, but if you go in expecting something epic it's no wonder one can become a tad disappointed.
RafaelLopez: All games have bugs, but they *were* very polished in most aspects, moreso in comparison to the Avadon series.
mistermumbles: Gee, one developer versus many. There's only so much one person can do, you know. Also, see Eschalon... and I dare say Basilisk's offering is only somewhat more polished because the development cycles for those games are quite a bit longer than where Spiderweb's offerings are concerned.

Anyway, I don't get the comparison to the big name RPGs of old either. Yes, it's in an older style. Yes, it can be quite fun. No, it won't ever rival any of the former. I typically enjoy what Spiderweb has to offer, but if you go in expecting something epic it's no wonder one can become a tad disappointed.
I agree with this and I once again emphasise what Spiderweb is doing in mobile devices. It's ahead of any top-down rpg developer that i can think of in terms of UI.

As for Eschalon, it has a better look than Spiderweb games but the writing is less sophisticated (which becomes a big turn off in a long game), the battles (single character only) are pretty drawn out and samey, and overall, I just found the difficulty level didn't work with the lack of sophistication of the game.

Spiderweb nails it - clever writing (don't believe nonsensical comments that criticise the writing), good team based battles, well balanced and well thought out story.

Once again, the fact that you can compare what Baldur's Gate, Fallout etc offer to Avadon is extraordinary because it's a one person dev team verses literally over a hundred people! Vogel does a great job. I tired of Eschalon series and personally I think even the developers tired of it (through I did finish and enjoy the first one).
timppu: Baldur's Gate (at least vanilla, not TuTu mods or Enhanced Edition remakes): no good quest log, party members or NPCs blocking each others in corridors or wandering off to opposite directions in mazes and such, pixel hunting for loot, and a boring story.
And there was no dual wielding!!!
mistermumbles: Anyway, I don't get the comparison to the big name RPGs of old either. Yes, it's in an older style. Yes, it can be quite fun. No, it won't ever rival any of the former. I typically enjoy what Spiderweb has to offer, but if you go in expecting something epic it's no wonder one can become a tad disappointed.
I just said it, the fans of the game and sites like GOG are the ones saying Avadon is "an epic tale", with "a lot of depth" in story and NPCs, not me. If people are writing raving reviews and rating it 5 stars, it's natural that I play it with high expectations, and I do think it should be polished, fun, well-written, etc. I'm not saying the dev should make it how I want it to be, I'm saying it's overrated.
Looked at the reviews here, three reviews, 5* 3* and 1* LOL :)
Does the battle interface still not have an Undo function, or a second click confirmation for every order?
RafaelLopez: I played Avadon 1 for a few days and I see a few qualities from classic CRPGs, but couldn't quite find what people find so magical about it. Now people started reviewing Avadon 2 saying the same things from the first one, even noting the same problems, and still rate it 4-5 stars. I don't get it.

When I think classic and 5 stars, I think polished, addictive, easily to pick up even if challenging, with a charming setting, looking great, like Ultima 7, Baldur's Gate and Fallout for example. Avadon isn't very polished (everything is clunky, very small letters to read, dialogues can take forever, etc.), is repetitive, has little challenge to show for, all people and places look and feel like exactly the same throughout (endless corridors of nothing everywhere), and I think even Spiderweb agrees they weren't even trying to make it look great at all. As I said, I didn't go too far within the game, but that's also the game's fault: I played it for a few days (several hours), but the game didn't pick up the pace.

I'm not here as a hater either, I'd love to see improvement, because Spiderweb has put out more RPGs than most developers out there in their entire lives, so I think after all these years they must have the means to go one step further and start making a lot better.
Actually, first, nothing has beaten or probably ever will beat (or match) Ultima VII. If you set your sights on UVII, you are bound to be disappointed. I made that mistake with Driftmoon, and, although Driftmoon is very good, I have been terribly disappointed since I expected Ultima and got SierraVenture.
I have been enjoying Spiderweb Games since I first bought the Geneforge series, and I may be able to explain the charm.
These games are the successor to very early games like Temple of Apshai back in the early 1980s. They also really represent an electronic version of classic tabletop games. These games really bring back memories of rolling dice, telling stories, and staying up for nights on end with RPG campaigns played around tables with friends.
As far as any games actually being successors to UVII, it still hasn't happened yet with the exception of the Elder Scrolls in which characters have their own lives and schedules, and many things can be interacted with.
ZapMcRaygunn: As far as any games actually being successors to UVII, it still hasn't happened yet with the exception of the Elder Scrolls in which characters have their own lives and schedules, and many things can be interacted with.
On that account, check the Gothic series (any of the three). I could also easily recommend the Baldur's Gate series, but from your experience with classics you must have already beaten it.
ZapMcRaygunn: As far as any games actually being successors to UVII, it still hasn't happened yet with the exception of the Elder Scrolls in which characters have their own lives and schedules, and many things can be interacted with.
RafaelLopez: On that account, check the Gothic series (any of the three). I could also easily recommend the Baldur's Gate series, but from your experience with classics you must have already beaten it.
Wow. It's interesting you bring that up. I was just playing BG2 last night! I've never beaten it yet. I also have Gothic II and that one really does come close now that you mention it. I bought Gothic III but, sadly, I've never been able to run the game on my computer.
Thanks again for the suggestions, and now I'm going to play some Gothic II.