It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Order in the line!

Papers, Please, a unique dystopian game of social drama, and political statements, challenging your alertness, attention to detail, and morals with the puzzling and stressful work of an immigration inspector, is available for pre-orders on GOG.com, for Windows and Mac, for only $9.99!

Comrade! As you assume your post at the Grestin Border Checkpoint the Ministry of Admission would like to remind you that your work is crucial to the safety of the People's Republic of Arstotzka. The enemies of the state are many and our borders should remain impenetrable. Stay alert! Terrorists, spies, and miscreants will take advantage of your every smallest mistake to enter our motherland and threaten the people. Be vigilant! Always check and double-check every detail. Never ignore any inconsistency. The safety of our glorious nation rest is your personal responsibility! Oh, by the way, comrade--you will be paid based on the number of people you control each day. And we're raising your rent.

Papers, Please simulates the work of a immigration inspector whose responsibility is to controll the passports and other papers of the people trying to cross the border of your country. Your job gets more complicated daily, as new regulations are passed by the Ministry of Admission and the illegal immigrants get more and more creative in the attempts of tricking you into letting them in. You will face the grim reality of a dystopian communist republic of the early 1980s as you try to support your family and not end up in front of a firing squad as a traitor. Challenging, morally ambiguous, and intense gameplay will blow your mind!

Pre-order Papers, Please for only $9.99 and feel the Ministry of Admission breathing down your neck, as soon as the game arrives (which is expected to happen on August 8).
Ophelium: Well, I figured out how to detain the alleged murderer and the human trafficker. I also got a strange coin for letting the wife without entry papers in. I'm sure there are a few more things I've missed in the beta.
PMIK: Did you ever figure out what the black piece of paper with "Corman Dex" on the back was all about?

I'm currently stopping myself from the playing the beta anymore because I don't want to get too tired of the gameplay before the full version comes out.
I figured out the black piece of paper.

After 20 playthroughs. I am not a clever man.
Post edited August 04, 2013 by JudasIscariot
"decisions decisions......."

-> I think i get the game on the games Website. I like GOG and like to give them my money, but there are game ideas that are worth support as much as possible. This beautiful gem is one such game. :-)
Kolto66: "decisions decisions......."

-> I think i get the game on the games Website. I like GOG and like to give them my money, but there are game ideas that are worth support as much as possible. This beautiful gem is one such game. :-)
I've seen the developer's twitter and he doesn't seem to mind. Buying here or on Steam can have the game be featured on the week's bestsellers on the respective stores, which in turn could help get more sales.
Post edited August 04, 2013 by DaCostaBR
I just tried the beta and that game is not for me, but I can see the appeal for others. It's definitely an experience.
PMIK: Did you ever figure out what the black piece of paper with "Corman Dex" on the back was all about?

I'm currently stopping myself from the playing the beta anymore because I don't want to get too tired of the gameplay before the full version comes out.
JudasIscariot: I figured out the black piece of paper.

You must share glorious secret. We must protect Arstotzka from foreign influences!

I played through again and was able to get two coins (they seem to be stamped with each nation's symbol) but I tried almost everything to figure out that piece of paper.
Post edited August 04, 2013 by Ophelium
Just played through the demo. It was hilarious and great! Looking forward to the full game. Glory to Arstotzka!
JudasIscariot: I figured out the black piece of paper.

Ophelium: You must share glorious secret. We must protect Arstotzka from foreign influences!

I played through again and was able to get two coins (they seem to be stamped with each nation's symbol) but I tried almost everything to figure out that piece of paper.
How do I know you aren't a spy for Kolechia?
Ophelium: You must share glorious secret. We must protect Arstotzka from foreign influences!

JudasIscariot: How do I know you aren't a spy for Kolechia?
I got papers from a man named Jorji.
JudasIscariot: How do I know you aren't a spy for Kolechia?
Ophelium: I got papers from a man named Jorji.
That name sounds...familiar.

Cobrastan, right?
Ophelium: I got papers from a man named Jorji.
JudasIscariot: That name sounds...familiar.

Cobrastan, right?
No, no. He is from Obristan.
JudasIscariot: That name sounds...familiar.

Cobrastan, right?
Ophelium: No, no. He is from Obristan.
Still a spy. Denied!
Ophelium: No, no. He is from Obristan.
JudasIscariot: Still a spy. Denied!
I'll come back with the correct papers.
JudasIscariot: Still a spy. Denied!
Ophelium: I'll come back with the correct papers.
*DETAIN*
PMIK: I had a similar thought on my second playthrough. It's hard to tell how much was due to its unfiinshed beta state.

Then I thought about the old adventure games, Like Monkey Island, which I've played through multiple times over the last couple of decades even though its exactly the same each time. Its like watching a movie for a second time.

I don't think long life and replayability is necessarily reliant upon procedural content and variability. A finely crafted and memorable experience can sometimes lead us to want to relive them, even when we know what will happen.
Yes; agree re: Monkey Island and similar adventure games. The difference though is that most adventure games stories have a lot of 'meat' to them. There's aspects of the story I may forget, there's a lot of variety in setting and actual puzzles. My concern about Papers, Please is the combination of 'procedural' like gameplay with scripting on top - in terms of longevity. It's great, but all very bare bones. I am not sure the same nostalgia / fascination works with such a leanly presented story alongside a very specific, focused & monotone setting.

Hence my hope that moding capability does come through even if after the official release.. It'd play to the game's strengths and add longevity - the bare bones & leanness of storytelling does make it modable and expandable in ways that traditional adventures just aren't. Imagine that, in a few years, there's a lot more narratives plugged in; things that you haven't seen yet. Some of them may appear only at random, not during every game; opening up the narrative. [And, if there's deep enough access to the game - someone might even mod in branching narratives.]
PMIK: I don't think long life and replayability is necessarily reliant upon procedural content and variability. A finely crafted and memorable experience can sometimes lead us to want to relive them, even when we know what will happen.
Just let me say that any and all concerns I had are actually blown away by the full game. Just in case you haven't picked it up, yourself yet.

Will put up a full review here on GOG over the next few days.