It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Survey Results: See what the future of GOG.com holds!

A few weeks ago we asked you to fill out a survey about some of the possible new areas of gaming that GOG.com might move into in the future. We also promised that we’d share the results with you, and they are below. Before we get to that, though, we did want to let you know what these mean to us:

1. We remain committed to bringing you guys the best games from all of gaming history, on both PC and Mac. This means that while we’re exploring ways to bring you new games, we also are committed to bringing classics back to life as well. This year alone has seen Omikron, System Shock 2, the Leisure Suit Larry series, Strike Commander, and even Daikatana!

2. DLC is a controversial issue, but something that has been in gaming—by another name—since the very early days. You guys seem to understand that it’s not possible for us to sign new games with all of their DLC (before it is even made) bundled in, and it looks like you’re willing to either buy DLC or not as you find it interesting. As part of our continual efforts to improve the user experience on GOG.com, we will be looking at new, better ways to present DLC in our catalog as well.

3. Selling episodic content before the “season” is finished is also something we’re looking forward to bringing you in the future, and you seem to agree.

4. Season passes—for both DLC and for episodic content—clearly have a mixed perception here. Season passes—if we do offer them—are something that we’ll approach with deliberation to make sure that we’re confident that the content that is promised will all be delivered.

5. Finally, we have somewhat conflicting information on the persistent multiplayer features; when discussed in a very abstract fashion (as it was in the first survey), it’s a very clear “no.” When mentioned in a specific game that we’ve shown you, it’s an equally clear “yes.” What we’re going to be sure of, going forward, is that we’re very careful that any game that we bring you guys with persistent multiplayer features will be at least as offline-friendly as Planetary Annihilation is.

One of the defining characteristics of GOG.com is that the games that we sell have no DRM; this isn't going to change, and we will continue to evaluate the games that we bring to you to make sure that they're not only great games, but great games that we think will fit in well with how we do business.

<iframe src="http://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/19169133?rel=0" width="590" height="472" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" style="border:1px solid #CCC;border-width:1px 1px 0;margin-bottom:5px" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen> </iframe>

Thank you for responding to our surveys in such large numbers. GOG.com would be a mere shadow of itself if it wasn't for its incredible, open, friendly, and active community--that is you!
Post edited April 19, 2013 by G-Doc
SPTX: And call of duty is the best FPS ever, we got it, sales = quality.
I don't think it's the best FPS ever but there is nothing wrong when someone thinks it is. I can discuss with such person, tell that person which FPS' I find the best and why and we can both live happily with our different opinions.
Why would I try to convince someone he should never play CoD and play my favourite games instead?

SPTX: At least I am straightforward. on a side note, censorship isn't inherently evil.
Sorry, but censorship, censors and people who want the best for me by forbidding things they believe to be bad for me are, paraphrasing Goethe, "part of that power which eternally wills good and eternally works evil."
Well, the weather is really nice today. Summer is here, I think. Spent the weekend gardening, even had to cut the grass.
Post edited April 23, 2013 by amok
I'm all for debates on when people need someone to stop them from being stupid. I think most people are too busy debating that exact thing as it pertains to health care, guns and other such things to even notice video games.
StingingVelvet: I'm all for debates on when people need someone to stop them from being stupid. I think most people are too busy debating that exact thing as it pertains to health care, guns and other such things to even notice video games.
Could you please stop us all from being stupid right now?
Post edited April 23, 2013 by YnK
low rated
Novotnus: I don't think it's the best FPS ever but there is nothing wrong when someone thinks it is. I can discuss with such person, tell that person which FPS' I find the best and why and we can both live happily with our different opinions.
Why would I try to convince someone he should never play CoD and play my favourite games instead?
Sure, why satiate them with food when they can eat faeces.
I am not even talking about forcing them to play/not play. Surely they will find out by themselves what's best for them once they tried it.
Novotnus: Sorry, but censorship, censors and people who want the best for me by forbidding things they believe to be bad for me are, paraphrasing Goethe, "part of that power which eternally wills good and eternally works evil."
Unfortunately for you. I think quoting Faust serves my argument more than it serves yours though I do indeed will good (unless most actual censors)
You got it backward too.
Anyway, Faust "proves" (it's fiction, it really can't prove anything) that I am right in the very person of Faust himself.
SPTX: Sure, why satiate them with food when they can eat faeces.
I am not even talking about forcing them to play/not play. Surely they will find out by themselves what's best for them once they tried it.
Oh wow. That may be the most prickish, elitist thing I've ever read on these forums. I don't even really know how to respond, it's all so wrongheaded.
Novotnus: ....
If I could choose to do something that makes me want to stop smoking - that would be a win.
If someone would be able to force me not to smoke, or force me to undertake aftermentioned treatment, that would be a catastrophe.
When I was born, this country was called People's Republic of Poland and many different care-bears tried to protect me from many different things. That certainly wasn't fun.
The interesting thing I discovered with several smokers is that they smoke and they enjoy smoking but also at the same time they are unhappy with it and want to stop smoking. It all comes down to your will. If your will would be that others help you stop smoking, even forcing you a bit in the meantime, then it should happen like this. Of course in all People's Republics of the World it was different, the leaders decided what was right for all. That's different of course.

Transferred to GOG it means exactly as I voted. I have nothing against GOG offering [insert whatever] but that doesn't mean in any way I will buy this [whatever] or like GOG more because of [whatever], maybe less.
Post edited April 24, 2013 by Trilarion
Biased questions (i.e. "Do you want DLC's, so we can sell more, newer stuff" instead of just "Do you want DLC's to be sold here") gets biased answers.

Seems the "Don't buy anything at launch" policy has become the best policy. Even here.

And don't get me wrong, there are proper DLCs (Or, as we call it back in the day, "expansions") worth the price they are asking for (few of them, but there they are), it's just I see the Omerta case as a spearhead in the kind of DLC's that made me start hating them.
Post edited April 24, 2013 by Neurus_Ex
SPTX: if the people were trustworthy, we wouldn't be in an arguable situation to begin with.
Your quotes just keep getting better and better :)

JMich: Other than this case, when else is censhorship justified?
SPTX: dude...
Question dodging again. Combines real nice with
SPTX: though I do indeed will good (unless most actual censors)
So the act is good, but the persons doing it are wrong. Unless of course that person is you...

Anyway, I'm going to leave this discussion now, and wish you good luck in ruling over San Angeles Dr Cocteau.
SPTX: if the people were trustworthy, we wouldn't be in an arguable situation to begin with.
JMich: Your quotes just keep getting better and better :)
Care to explain how wrong I would be on that subject?

JMich: Question dodging again. Combines real nice with
Well first there was no question, and secondly it was straight out stupid to say what you did. How can you even ask "without the good reasons, try to prove you have good reasons" with a straight face?

JMich: So the act is good, but the persons doing it are wrong. Unless of course that person is you...
Not me especially, but yes, basically. That's called objectivity.
JMich: Question dodging again. Combines real nice with
SPTX: Well first there was no question, and secondly it was straight out stupid to say what you did. How can you even ask "without the good reasons, try to prove you have good reasons" with a straight face?
JMich: Other than this case, when else is censhorship justified?
You are right, this is not a question...

So, let's try to form it a bit better.

Under what circumstances is censorship justified? And a bonus question, under what circumstances is censorship benevolent, and not just required.

SPTX: Not me especially, but yes, basically. That's called objectivity.
Yes, but objectivity requires a proper set of requirements. You declare that
SPTX: (unless most actual censors)
which is not objective. That is subjective. You find that they don't do a proper job. They (the censors) find that they do an excellent job. Who is right? Oh, I forgot, you are right because people ain't trustworthy. Do you include yourself in people too? Or are you different/better/worse than the rest of us?
JMich: So the act is good, but the persons doing it are wrong. Unless of course that person is you...
SPTX: Not me especially, but yes, basically. That's called objectivity.
Are you sure it is not called "dictatorship"? :)

I was under the impression that objectivity refers to being able to judge something fairly without any form of bias, and so far you showed nothing but a lot of bias against DLC's. So you have been so far from objective as it is possible to get....
Post edited April 24, 2013 by amok
I have to say that I expected many of the polls (especially the first questions) to go the other way here on gog.com, simply because I buy from gog.com not because it's (was?) yet another distribution service, but because it has put its foot down on certain bad practices of the game market. I also expected from gog.com to consider more that the "no" answers percentage being high enough, even though it does not surpass the "yes" ones, which for me it also states that there is heavy negativism, regardless of the number majority.

It's not the end of the world ofcourse. It simply means that I can't depend on gog.com filtering out some of the things I consider bad, and I'll have to be more careful and patient here on gog.com when buying games (than before). Which is mostly what I'm trying to do with all the rest of the distribution services.
I question the validity of this survey! I wanna recount...
JMich: Anyway, I'm going to leave this discussion now, and wish you good luck in ruling over San Angeles Dr Cocteau.
Ah-nold for president! 2016!
Post edited April 25, 2013 by ShaolinsKunk