It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

dirtyharry50: Considering that and this is just a suggestion but if you haven't encountered any other unfixed problems you might better enjoy all the time devoted to comparing various versions files, etc. to actually just playing the game for some fun. Maybe I am crazy but that seems like a pretty good idea to me at this point. ;-)
Lexor: As the latest GOG's update is some form of "unofficial crack" I prefer to wait for some official answer.
Only problem is, you may be waiting a very long time if GOG's "magic" in making things work is considered proprietary information. ;-)
dirtyharry50: Only problem is, you may be waiting a very long time if GOG's "magic" in making things work is considered proprietary information. ;-)
That's why I am not waiting for them and contacting developer directly :P
Also, as an owner of license to use I have a right to be able to get this game working properly.
dirtyharry50: Only problem is, you may be waiting a very long time if GOG's "magic" in making things work is considered proprietary information. ;-)
Lexor: That's why I am not waiting for them and contacting developer directly :P
Also, as an owner of license to use I have a right to be able to get this game working properly.
I must have missed something earlier. I thought the initially reported issues were fixed now and all is well. Is the game not working for you in some way?
dirtyharry50: I must have missed something earlier. I thought the initially reported issues were fixed now and all is well. Is the game not working for you in some way?
These two were fixed - but I can't tell if they were fixed because we found them or all bugs (even that hidden ones, not revealed yet) are fixed. That is the question, because patch was made by replacing old exe by new third party one (not made by 1C nor Katauri just by one of cracking groups). They also replaced some other proper files with their bad (old?) versions.

One of bad things now is that savegames are not compatible. The other is - I do not trust 3rd party fixes. Why is GOG using them if KB is still fresh game and it should be easier to ask developer?
Post edited January 03, 2012 by Lexor
dirtyharry50: ...
Basically what Lexor said... considering the game is still receiving patches, why did GOG make their own fix instead of using the latest official version (as is their policy)?
SirPrimalform: why did GOG make their own fix
...and in addition, this "their" fix was based on crack... :o lol
I've updated first post of this topic to make current actions more clear.

BTW: I remember the info I've found on official Russian forum and it's bad for us: cracked game can be the reason to have some quests impossible to finish. :(
Lexor: I've updated first post of this topic to make current actions more clear.

BTW: I remember the info I've found on official Russian forum and it's bad for us: cracked game can be the reason to have some quests impossible to finish. :(
Umm, you do know that you cannot believe everything you read on Russian or any Internet forums for that matter, right? How credible is this information exactly that it should be accepted as fact?

The way I see this is there were two issues found with this game and they have been corrected. This is good news. The problems were solved. Why does it matter how they were solved? GOG isn't out to screw you, you know? You made them aware of a problem (thank you) and they saw to fixing it. Time to go play!

As for the possibility of other hidden bugs in this or any other game I can make you a promise there. Yes, there are bugs. There are bugs in virtually all software. Having worked for many years as a Senior Software Engineer involved in Software Quality Assurance of complex systems I can tell you that software always has bugs. It is not humanly possible to effectively test for every possible scenario or path through complex code in software. Given that software projects are coded by human beings they are subject to human error. This is something you can actually depend on: that humans will make errors. Then on the PC platform there is the large issue of such a wide variety of hardware and software environments a given program attempts to run within. It isn't actually doable to test for every scenario here either.

Considering the limitations of software engineering as it exists today it is something of a miracle that so much software runs as well as it does. But to think that any given program, game, etc. does not have any issues would be to delude oneself.

So I'm sure King's Bounty has some bugs in it. Whether you ever see them however is another matter. Hopefully not. You could make a career out of analyzing this one program you know but it isn't likely to yield you fruit that makes this effort worthwhile. I applaud your initial and successful efforts at getting two issues you ran into fixed, to the benefit of us all who bought the game. However, I question further pursuit of bugs you haven't even encountered yourself when you could instead be playing the game and having some fun for yourself.

I have a funny feeling that analyzing this particular program has become something of a fun game unto itself for you. In that case I guess I should just encourage you to have fun and game on! :-)

Don't take me too seriously please because I really don't mean this to give you a hard time. I just think it is kind of funny to spend this much time worrying about this game when the problems you found were fixed and you could be doing something that is presumably more fun.
dirtyharry50: Umm, you do know that you cannot believe everything you read on Russian or any Internet forums for that matter, right? How credible is this information exactly that it should be accepted as fact?
Well, maybe you do not know, but this game has label "made in Russia", and "official" = "forum made by developers". That info was posted by one of moderators. So yes, it is very credible for me.

For the rest of your post: yes, I agree that there are bugs in almost every applications in the world. But if I do not know structure of the program and would like to "improve it" I could break another things - that way teams of crackers work. Also (I do not know if this is that case, but..) developers sometimes are making special traps for crackers causing them some hidden buggy functions to appear.

So, again, yes, every program has probably some bugs, but I would prefer to have bugs made by developer which will be probably erased with next build than to have buggy version of the game with "a few bugs more" and also not really compatible with future patches.
So are you saying then that a moderator on the game developer's forums has stated the patch GOG made to the game to fix it breaks it in other places? Do I understand you correctly?

Also, is this moderator a volunteer mod or are they actually in the employ of the company and preferably on the actual development team?
dirtyharry50: So are you saying then that a moderator on the game developer's forums has stated the patch GOG made to the game to fix it breaks it in other places? Do I understand you correctly?
Someone posted that he/she could not finish some particular quest (he/she said quest name but I can not remember it now). One of moderators answered that he/she knows this problem and it is only encountered in cracked version of the game.
Post edited January 04, 2012 by Lexor
That doesn't answer my question though. What cracked version of the game? Did this person complain about the GOG version and did the mod state the GOG version is known to have this problem? Or are we talking about some gamecopyworld crack from who knows where?
By the way it seems rather odd to me that a cracked version of a game would have a bugged quest where the bug is caused by the crack. Generally speaking a crack simply defeats the copy protection scheme and should never touch any other code that would effect the game's play mechanics, etc. I guess it isn't impossible but it certainly seems pretty unlikely. I'd be very interested in hearing a developer explanation of that little scenario.
Post edited January 04, 2012 by dirtyharry50
dirtyharry50: That doesn't answer my question though. What cracked version of the game? Did this person complain about the GOG version and did the mod state the GOG version is known to have this problem? Or are we talking about some gamecopyworld crack from who knows where?
I do not know details, as it is really stupid to discuss cracks on developer forum so I do not know what kind of crack it was and if this was the same as GOG's one.

But, when looking for other exes to compare with GOG's fix I found it on site mentioned by you. So, from the other point of view, saying that GOG fix is not that mentioned crack and is 100% safe is also not true.
dirtyharry50: I guess it isn't impossible but it certainly seems pretty unlikely.
So you really haven't heard of pink scorpion? Such copy protections were pretty often used in the past by developers of different games so I can't see why it can't happen in KB's case.
Post edited January 04, 2012 by Lexor
Well good luck to you with your quest Lexor. :-)

I'm glad they fixed the known issues and appreciate your efforts in bringing that about. I look forward to playing this game when I get to it.
dirtyharry50: ...
For me, the issue isn't that there are bugs (I know there'll always be bugs). The issue is that GOG for some reason still hasn't given us the most recent official version and has instead given us a version which is (as I understand it) not compatible with the official patches nor save games from any other versions.