It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

So I have a question for you 5foote now Vitek...
Are you still an adamant grammar Nazi and do you still dare us to lynch you?
Well, colour me informed, dudes ^^

Regardless, it seems like adequate enough time to hash things out, and find any potential scum. 4-5 potential scum sounds like a reasonable enough number to assume at this point.
RWarehall: So I have a question for you 5foote now Vitek...
And are you really a librarian?
flubbucket: Be careful how you twist other players posts. Let's just stick to the facts.

I would hate for something to come back and bite you in your scummy ass.
amok: hmm.. I dont mind if you are offering. It is spelt "s-c-a-l-y", by the way.
You can't afford me.

Who am I kidding. I'm a cheap date in anyone's book.
RWarehall: So I have a question for you 5foote now Vitek...
amok: And are you really a librarian?
If you look back, it was 5foote who originally accused another of using poor grammar while failing to capitalize and misspelling grammar. Then after and few silly vote, chose to dare us to lynch him.

I don't care who you are, what faction you are, what race you are, whether the game puts us on the same sides. If someone dares me to lynch him, "Hang 'Em High!"
Nah, I am now just regular nazi.
I don't know grammer (as my predecessor would put it) myself so it would be kind of hard to be pedant about it.

amok: And are you really a librarian?
I am!
Well unfortunately not right now but I used to be.
Unvote 5foote/Vitek
amok: Not sure I like the kippers vote jumping.

Unvote: TwilightBard

Vote: amok
I guess the part of this I don't understand is how 17 days helps anything. Isn't this just kinda random guessing at this point? Am i missing something? Are we hoping someone slips up and reveals something about themselves? I mean, I see the OP, I've gotten a PM, but I have no clue who anyone is. Don't know anyone. Don't know what faction or race anyone is. Doesn't this just make this first vote mostly completely random?

Don't get me wrong, am not knocking 17 days of randomly attacking people for poor grammar or even grammer! And heck, I love baseless accusations, that is fun. I just get the feeling other people know something I don't. Guess I'll bold this next part for our fearless leader. Why don't we know what races we each are anyway? Do the races look different? Wouldn't we know who is what race already? Presumably we have all met before, right?
I chose for you all to not know who else was in your race starting out simply because I have always enjoyed the scumhunt starting from knowing zilch. If, however, it's a majority decision for me to go ahead and tell you all (since you will presumably find out at night anyway), I can do so via PMs.
RWarehall: I guess the part of this I don't understand is how 17 days helps anything. Isn't this just kinda random guessing at this point? Am i missing something? Are we hoping someone slips up and reveals something about themselves? I mean, I see the OP, I've gotten a PM, but I have no clue who anyone is. Don't know anyone. Don't know what faction or race anyone is. Doesn't this just make this first vote mostly completely random?

Don't get me wrong, am not knocking 17 days of randomly attacking people for poor grammar or even grammer! And heck, I love baseless accusations, that is fun. I just get the feeling other people know something I don't. Guess I'll bold this next part for our fearless leader. Why don't we know what races we each are anyway? Do the races look different? Wouldn't we know who is what race already? Presumably we have all met before, right?
Mafia forum games are pretty random about such things. What matters is the structure (trying to guess people's function) more than the flavor (are we aliens or gangsters or cavemen or goldfishes), even though flavor often tells us what functions to expect. Sometimes the reason why we don't know each others role and identity is explicit in the flavor (gathering of hooded conspirationists), but most of times half of it is pure convention : you don't know if your colleague is a man or a woman or their pet monke until the role is reveal - the game kinda consists in guessing it. It's cluedo or chess logic. It's gameplay more than roleplaying. It's like a cards game, where the relation to the cards matters more than the narrative logic of what is pictured on them.

So, if it was a movie or a roleplaying game, you'd be right. But in a forum mafia game, such conventional absurdity is commonplace, and sometimes amusingly toyed with. To give you an idea, in one of the older games on GOG (before my arrival), one setting had everybody play the role of some piece of household furniture.

So, these questions of species identifications here are left up to us. Even though we are all in the same room (narration-wise) we don't know which one of us is whose voice. And we don't know more, about the setting's universe, than what we're being told - even if our characters do. We will have to decide, for ourselves, what info we'll consider safe to share, beneficial to the town, or beneficial to the scum. It's part of the strategy. Will you turn out to be Colonel Mustard or Miss Scarlett ? This is as much a mystery as whether you are a criminal or a potential victim. And when we'll know one we'll be closer to discover the other (but the bad guys may also be getting dangerous info).

So, there. This is the slightly (ncely) abstract aspect of these games. As for the first day, yes, it is mostly random, but, at the end, someone is still (usually) lynched. And the bad guys will have pushed us to lynch a good guy. Sometimes, the way they do it, or the way we argue about what flavour info (precisely suff like "races", etc) should or shouldn't be made public yet, gives already non-random reasons to suspect some people. By the time the deadline will be near, the discussions and accusations will have already turned way more serious than on the first page, you'll see...

How seriousness emerges from randomness is always a weird phenomenon.
RWarehall: I guess the part of this I don't understand is how 17 days helps anything. Isn't this just kinda random guessing at this point? Am i missing something? Are we hoping someone slips up and reveals something about themselves? I mean, I see the OP, I've gotten a PM, but I have no clue who anyone is. Don't know anyone. Don't know what faction or race anyone is. Doesn't this just make this first vote mostly completely random?

RVS is no-ones favourite stage (Random Voting Stage).

We are indeed waiting for someone to slip , or perhaps jump on something and build a case against them for first lynch.

I didn't like Flubb picking on newbies earlier , for instance - it smacks to me of an 'experienced' Mafia player trying to get a newbie to slip up. But as was pointed out, there could be many reasons for Flubb picking those people. You have to make a case and hope to convince others.

As for 'knowing' our races - some poetic licence from our esteemed MOD, I would guess...

Currently I have no clue either, about anyone or anything. I hate the first day...
RWarehall: Why don't we know what races we each are anyway? Do the races look different? Wouldn't we know who is what race already? Presumably we have all met before, right?
Game logic?
That's fine. So basically, guess the short story explanation is all races look the same then for RP purposes. I can buy that. I've LARP'd before, so I'm trying to somewhat immerse myself in the setting..
cmdr_flashheart: From the OP in the sign-up thread So 17 players = 17 days (assuming that AFP finds replacements for dropouts).

Is that a normal phase length? I am not aware of Mafia SOP, so I might be wrong.
That's the limit on the length of the days, not a prescribed length.