It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Finished Breath of Death VII. I liked it (good gameplay, music, the story and its humor) but a bit repetitive at the end.
stoicsentry: How do you guys finish games? I have time, but it takes foreeeeeeeever. Even simpler games.
If you are like me, quite often I try to be too perfect in games, ie. complete all possible sub-quests in RPGs (beating the optional "Ruby Weapon" boss in FF7 sure took some time and retrials), in RTS games I don't want to lose even one building in my home base (=lots of reloads), in FPS games I want to kill each and every enemy and find every secret etc.

As long as I enjoy my games this way, I don't mind anymore. The only "problem" is that quite often this keeps me from playing newer games, at least if I first want to play older games in the same series before moving to newer ones. But at least I save money this way. Sometimes I might pick some newer title and play it through.

Another related problem is that there are some favourite games that I want to replay several times from time to time, which also keeps me from moving on to other games.

I sometimes dislike games which don't let me get the "whole experience" in a single playthrough though, at least if the optional ways to play it add very little to the gameplay. I think this is the reason why I generally prefer RPGs where I am commanding a party with different characters (fighter, mage, cleric etc.) than a single character with one profession (e.g. like Diablo 2), because then I get to know how is it to play the game with various characters. I might be fed up with the game already after the first playthrough, but still I feel I am missing part of the game because of this. For example I am now playing Diablo 2 with a barbarian, and I would also like to get a feel of the other classes, but I really don't think I want to replay the game just to try out the different classes because I presume the game is otherwise quite the same, same areas, same quests etc.

I think I had the same problem with Max Payne (1 or 2, I don't remember). I just couldn't be arsed to replay the whole game again just to see an optional ending. This is not quite the "replay value" I am looking for in a game.
Infinity Blade (iOS) - true ending. Infinity Blade II is awesome.
Risen...
Plus Dragonsphere, but that shouldn't count since I just quickly went through it with a walkthrough because I noticed that it was free here and there's a game I played a part of back in the '90s that's "stored" in my mind as "the one with the dragon and the orb", so I was wondering if this was it (been trying for some time to list all games I ever played). Apparently it wasn't.
Plus some three months of playing Forsaken World, but that's not something finished. Did lots of testing and just got my 2 characters to level 48 before quitting.
Now I should also be finishing Tropico 3 Gold, as I just have the last scenario from the expansion to play.

But yeah, same problem here, wondering how do people finish so many games. Like timppu said, I'm also quite the perfectionist when I play, want to get things "just right". Unlike timppu, not that concerned with finding every secret or not losing anything, but mainly not losing any little bit of potential experience in RPGs (or games with RPG elements), discovering all tech in games with tech trees, etc. I also tend not to use items or other such aids, being an extremely stingy pack rat whenever the option is given, making games that expect you to use items extremely difficult for me. These two put together make me play very slowly and often give up, restart, give up again and so on. I often get at least twice the amount of hours listed for a game (so probably some 5 times the amount reviewers claim it actually takes to finish), and that's not counting reloads, which may well double that time yet again.
Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra: Brilliant oldschool rpg... If you are into Might and Magic series, this is the game to start with.

2009:

Grand Theft Auto IV, C&C3: Tiberium Wars, C&C3: Kane's Wrath, Fallout 1, Fallout 3, Devil May Cry 4, Beneath A Steel Sky

Best game finished in 2009:Fallout
Worst game finished in 2009: C&C3: Kane's Wrath

2010:

Final Fantasy VII, Dead Space, Unreal, Heavy Rain, Mass Effect, Mass Effect: Bring Down the Sky, Secret of Monkey Island: SE, Jagged Alliance 2, Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business, Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty, Assassin's Creed

Best game finished in 2010: Final Fantasy VII
Worst game finished in 2010: Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty

2011:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare, The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed 2 GotY, Plants vs. Zombies, Neverwinter Nights, Resistance 3, Call of Duty: World at War, Duke Nukem 3D, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Left 4 Dead (Advanced), Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Best game finished in 2011: Bioshock
Worst game finished in 2011: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Two additional titles:

- Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
- Realms of the Haunting
If I look here, it seems I didn't complete much

Well, from january 'till now:
*Mass Effect 2 (twice, now doing a third run with a renegade character)
*Assassin's Creed 2
*Portal
*Half-Life 2
*Half-Life 2: Episode one
*Half-Life 2: Episode two
*Medieval 2: Total War (Holy Roman Empire, with around 30 turns left, which I still have to complete :p)
*Mass Effect (for the second time, with the renegade character I'm now using in 2)
*Assassin's Creed (wrong order, I know)
*Portal 2

That's it, though I have a lot of other games I can still complete this year,but most of them will be completed in 2012
Adding Tank Universal. A little short, low production values, etc., but I see the devs put their heart into it. A good game, overall. I hope they put the feedback to good use on the sequel.

Games finished so far:
World of Goo, Samorost 1 and 2, Gish, Arcanum: of Steamworks & Magick Obscura, Tron 2.0, Beneath a Steel Sky, Lugaru HD, Enclave, Chrome: Specforce, Half-Life: Blue Shift, Red Baron, Outcast, The Witcher, The Ur-Quan Masters, Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, The Last Express, LOTR: The Return of the King, The White Chamber, Crusader: No Remorse, Gemini Rue, Assassin's Creed, Tank Universal.
Zchinque: Breath of Death VII
deathwurm: Did you play Cthuhlu Saves the World? I haven't finished it yet but it is really funny...
I haven't started it yet, but I got it along with BoDVII during the Steam sales a little while back. Probably going to start it somewhat soon, so I hope to add it to the list before the year's end.
BoDVII was pretty good, and I've hear Cthulhu is supposed to be better, so I'm looking forward to it.
deathwurm: Did you play Cthuhlu Saves the World? I haven't finished it yet but it is really funny...
Zchinque: I haven't started it yet, but I got it along with BoDVII during the Steam sales a little while back. Probably going to start it somewhat soon, so I hope to add it to the list before the year's end.
BoDVII was pretty good, and I've hear Cthulhu is supposed to be better, so I'm looking forward to it.
I bought them during the Steam sale also...they were dirt cheap!

Be sure to play with the "Director's Commentary" on...ads just a bit more laughs to the game!
-Icewind Dale (PC) - Fun if harmless romp that doesn't actually take place in the eponymous valley. The plot is a bit tongue-in-cheek, and reminds me a bit of NWN2 - a very subtle running gag is that each time you finally track down someone important to the plot you get told that of course you know who the real bad guy is, now let's fight!
-Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter - Fantastic voice acting, and a bit of Chris Avellone's signature writing can be seen. Not very much content (albeit being an Infinity Engine game it's still a lengthy game) but still very fun. Actually takes place in Icewind Dale this time. Poor Ravel Puzzlewell.
-Icewind Dale: Trials of the Luremaster (PC) - Early example of DLC? Fun dungeon crawl, but not much in the way of good swag. Almost as long as Heart of Winter.
Post edited December 11, 2011 by Whitecroc
Whitecroc: Poor Ravel Puzzlewell.
wait what?
she is in IWD??

dear god. now i have to buy it!
Post edited December 11, 2011 by lukaszthegreat
Whitecroc: Poor Ravel Puzzlewell.
lukaszthegreat: wait what?
she is in IWD??

dear god. now i have to buy it!
She's in the expansion - or rather, one of her "branches" are.
Just completed Sanitarium, for the 60th(!) title of the year.
The last game I finished was Killer7.

Most of that game is fucking insane, and that's why I loved it.