It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Phew, all my GamersGate games (the six of them) seem to be still available for download, so re-downloading them all again, just in case. I hadn't downloaded e.g. Freedom Force yet, which I bought one or two weeks ago.

After that, GamersGate is dead to me. I think next in the line will be Humble Store, they will also probably turn into a mere Steam (and maybe Origin/UPlay) key store at some point. Day by day, GOG.com is just starting to seem more and more unique and respectable in what they do. All the power to them.
Guys, all this mentioning of the Humble Store is getting me worried for no reason. Unless someone actually has a source, let's not be doomsayers... I'm not about to go download my whole Humble library, it's insane...
sunshinecorp: Guys, all this mentioning of the Humble Store is getting me worried for no reason. Unless someone actually has a source, let's not be doomsayers... I'm not about to go download my whole Humble library, it's insane...
*shakes runes and rattles bones

It is written! -___+
trentonlf: I pulled the trigger and used my blue coins and got the I of the dragon.
Heh, we'll get this baby onto the Bestsellers list at this rate. And without spending any money. :D

One positive aspect of this is that it pushed me to finally finish downloading the really large games I had on there. And it made me aware that they had added manuals for several games. Now I'm done with them, unless they somehow redeem themselves down the line.
sunshinecorp: Guys, all this mentioning of the Humble Store is getting me worried for no reason. Unless someone actually has a source, let's not be doomsayers... I'm not about to go download my whole Humble library, it's insane...
Sachys: *shakes runes and rattles bones

It is written! -___+
[url=]https://outsideperception.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/kareemabdul.jpg[/url]
Sachys: *shakes runes and rattles bones

It is written! -___+
sunshinecorp: [url=]https://outsideperception.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/kareemabdul.jpg[/url]
*prepares tinfoil crash helmet
You are right. It is not like they originally were championing the fact that they offer DRM-free (and Linux) versions for all their games, but gradually have started to offer more and more Steam-only games. /sarcasm

Some naysayers will jump in to say "no no no, they meant only for indie games, that's all", but even that is not true, there are also Steam-only indie games sold there nowadays.

Another thing, Humble X hasn't really seemed to develop its own infrastructure (meaning their own download service, not the key-selling store) that much. Their Android download client also seems to be still in beta after all these years, it is like they are not developing it at all either. I think they released an update to it at some point, but it still seems the same to me, and is still quite buggy.
Post edited September 05, 2014 by timppu
timppu: You are right. It is not like they originally were championing the fact that they offer DRM-free (and Linux) versions for all their games, but gradually have started to offer more and more Steam-only games.

Some naysayers will jump in to say "no no no, they meant only for indie games, that's all", but even that is not true, there are also Steam-only indie games sold there nowadays.
Offering Steam-only games is not a sin. :) The Humble has evolved from just a charity bundle to a store, so it's expanding its offers. GOG did that back when it started offering more games than just the "good old" ones.

It does not in any way imply that Humble is going to just switch every possible game to a Steam key and stop distributing the DRM-free downloadable versions.
timppu: Another thing, Humble X hasn't really seemed to develop its own infrastructure (meaning their own download service, not the key-selling store) that much. Their Android download client also seems to be still in beta after all these years, it is like they are not developing it at all either. I think they released an update to it at some point, but it still seems the same to me, and is still quite buggy.
Something being in beta doesn't mean it's not being worked on or functional. In fact, a lot of stuff claiming NOT to be betas are worse than alpha versions. ;) The Humble Android download client hasn't given me any problems at all.
Post edited September 05, 2014 by sunshinecorp
DreamedArtist: FFS MY UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3 IS A STEAM KEY NOW.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! >:( Time to ebay the dvd drm free copy now ugh >:(
Klumpen0815: There is no DRM free UT3.
It always had online activation, just not vie Steam but over a service that is shut down by now.

Yeah, I can't get my retail copy to install without cracking anymore, great stuff.
I would never have bought it in the first place if there would have been any indication about DRM in it on Amazon (normally you can find it in the comments).
you are wrong just got a copy you can activate it without internet and play offline mode but there is a catch you have to go to the documents file and got to save game and change it to a in game username and when logging in screen comes on put that same name you used to make that file and BAM click offline and it saves everything without making the account!

Been an unreal player from 1999 day 1 release so i know all the work around for everything unreal tournament lol

But yeah unreal tournament 3 does not have drm it has an activation code but its not the drm you think of
etna87: I don't even mind Steam keys, but this is still a quite weird and shady move. And GOG seems to be able to keep the status of already bought copies the same, even if something changes about the game.
There's nothing weird or shady about it. After the point of sale the publisher can update or pull the game however they please. Even if there is a stipulation in the contract it can be difficult to enforce, especially if the product changes owners, and a near losing battle for the vendor if the publisher goes the legal route. GOG doesn't deal with that many publishers and has been quite lucky thus far.

Again, officially GamersGate suggests publishers use a DRM-Free version (they used to suggest SecuRom back when there wasn't the public backlash to it there is today). However, all they can do is suggest. In GOG's case they simply say no if the publisher doesn't agree to the suggestion. GamersGate, much like Steam now, has the goal of having a larger catalog instead. It's all really quite simple!
I've reported my missing download link for Gray Matter as a bug.
high rated
Rodor:
Sachys: I had this issue the other week. Tried to redownload Gray Matter, and it was replaced by a steam key without warning. I do use steam, so have managed to make use of it, but its a little unsettling. As a result I'm downloading everything I have on there.
HI everyone! This is Jason Carver here from the community support department at Viva Media. I would like to thank the user I've quoted in this post for first bringing this to my attention. First of all I would like to apologize for any sour taste this incident have left in many gamers mouths regarding the replacement of your downloads in the form of a Steam Key. I had not been made aware of this thread until I received an email last night with a user private messaging me.

I am writing our marketing department right now and see why this change was. implemented.

In the mean time, I ask that you continue to work with Gamers Gate if you have not already done so, and I will await for an official response from Viva Media regarding this matter.

Again, I know that everyone is passionate about our games and you would like to play them in the fashion you would like , without digital rights managements involved.

Thank you very much for your patience in this incident ,

Jason Carver
Community Support at Encore Software / Viva Media
Post edited September 05, 2014 by hockeycanuck
hockeycanuck: I am writing our marketing department right now and see why this change was. implemented.
Cheers, hope we get a positive answer back on that! Thanks for following up.
Cyraxpt: Yeah, just checked my GG account and M&B Warband now has a Steam key.
Arkose: Steam keys can be used with the regular Warband installer. If your key is a four-block key you can use it right away; if it's a five-block key you'll need to first activate it on Steam to turn it into a four-block key (the new key will be listed under the CD Key link on the game's page in the Steam client after activation). You don't need to actually download the game through Steam to get the new key.
But where do i get the installer? At least legally.

Edit: Not that i really want to, i don't mind having the game on steam (well, i have bought the M&M pack there and this gg key will be for a future giveaway), i'm just curious.
Post edited September 05, 2014 by Cyraxpt
hockeycanuck:
cheers bud!