It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We're giving away 100 games a day to our users to celebrate our 5th birthday!

For the last 5 years we've been doing our best to bring the best games in history to your home computers. Now, we're celebrating our birthday, and we want you--our users--to have a blast! That's why for the next five days we'll be giving away 100 games a day via our different channels (the forums, social media, YouTube). The details of each giveaway will be revealed on day to day basis, so make sure to drop by daily and see what are we up to.

So, we heard you like puzzles and trivia? Let's have some more of that, shall we? Today, our giveaway is once again forum-based, but requires some gaming knowledge and puzzle-solving skill. We present, the GOG.com B-Day crossword puzzle!

GOG.com 5th B-Day Crossword Puzzle

As you may have noticed, this isn't your regular crossword puzzle. You'll need not only guess what the correct words are, but also where do they go in the diagram. If you manage to get enough of them right, you'll be able to figure out the secret password. Send an email with the said password with the subject line CROSSWORD to contest@gog.com. Out of all the people who do this, we'll pick 100 users who will be sent a $9.99 gift-code.You have time until tomorrow, that's Friday, October 4, at 2:59PM GMT to send us your answer and enter the giveaway, as at that time we'll be moving to another communications channel with a new set of rules.

EDIT:
Have you participated in one of our 5th birthday contests, but are still waiting for its conclusion? We're a bit overwhelmed by the number of entries, as this is the ongoing biggest series of giveaways in the whole of GOG.com history. Please be patient, well sort it all out, eventually, and everyone who was lucky enough to win something will be notified. Sorry for the delay!
Post edited October 03, 2013 by G-Doc
Ok, now that the cat's out of the bag, can someone explain how "the cat was horny" fits Miasmata (haven't played it)?
HypersomniacLive: Ok, now that the cat's out of the bag, can someone explain how "the cat was horny" fits Miasmata (haven't played it)?
http://tap-repeatedly.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/steerpike_impressions_miasmata06.jpg
HypersomniacLive: Ok, now that the cat's out of the bag, can someone explain how "the cat was horny" fits Miasmata (haven't played it)?
Honestly, I am not sure. I think it's because the tiger (cat) is purring and therefore it is horny? To be honest, I think it was just an insight into the psyche of whomever wrote the clue and his (or her) feelings at the moment.

I figured that one out since I knew it was throne already and the T fit in that slot and it was an 8 letter word. So I sorted my games list and looked for an 8 letter word that had a T there and saw the trailer in the Miasmata page and saw the tiger and thought, hmmm, come on!!!!!
Buenro-games: Honestly, I am not sure. I think it's because the tiger (cat) is purring and therefore it is horny?
The game has a cat-like creature with horns.
http://tap-repeatedly.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/steerpike_impressions_miasmata06.jpg
Buenro-games: Honestly, I am not sure. I think it's because the tiger (cat) is purring and therefore it is horny?
DarkoD13: The game has a cat-like creature with horns.
OH LOL!
If you have horns, you are horny. Get your minds out of the gutter :P

Let's not forget what the cover of DK2 shows after all, Horny and the Mistress.
Buenro-games: I only knew 1 at the start, Fallout and was completely blocked about the others.
Same for me. I then tripped myself up because I thought the clue going across from the 'O' was Outcast, so I was looking through the entire catalogue for a game with eleven letters ending in 'A'.

I had fun doing it though.
Buenro-games: I only knew 1 at the start, Fallout and was completely blocked about the others.
Goatbrush: Same for me. I then tripped myself up because I thought the clue going across from the 'O' was Outcast, so I was looking through the entire catalogue for a game with eleven letters ending in 'A'.

I had fun doing it though.
Ha ha, for whatever reason I was obsessed with Sacrifice being instead of Syndicate and so there was this R at the end. Then the other letter where filled out and it spelled GOLR. And I was so obsessed with being sure it was Sacrifice that I actually googled "OF GOLR" and to my surprise I found the phrase.

Of course, as soon as you dug deeper, you realized they were all referring to GOLD and were just typos. DUH!

Yah it was fun except for the clock ticking down since I started pretty late. Finished it with 30 min left. I actually thought the game ended like the others at 2.59am GMT and if it wasn't for a really nice person named Eli who told me otherwise, I would have continued to goof around thinking I had all the time in the world.
Post edited October 04, 2013 by Buenro-games
Awww... I just found out about this giveaway an hour ago.

Anyone know what the next contest/giveaway is?
Post edited October 04, 2013 by KHASN
KHASN: Anyone know what the next contest/giveaway is?
Hasn't been revealed yet :/
Managed to come up with all the games last night. It wasn't that hard. The cat one had me confused for awhile.
Thanks, now I see that it's even in one of GOG's screenshots (#11), but I didn't skim through them as I had already found the password and had figured out the title from some of the letters.
Buenro-games: ...
Thanks for the solution. Now I don't regret giving up, even with the full solution I couldn’t guess most of the games. I think GoG's catalogue has simply grown too large for thes kinds of contests. i have no idea how "planet voxel" relates to Outcast, how "sly boots" relate to Anachronox, how "ice queen wears bikini" relates to Stonekeep (I would have guessed King's Bounty, because one of the rage spirits is an ice lady wearing a bikini, and she is visible on the game's store page and she is the icon for the Mac version), how "selected" relates to Syndicate, how "mob build" relates to Constructor, and how "worth your bottlecaps" relates to Defcon.

The other one could at least be guessed even if you didn't actually play the game, e.g. "mutually assured destruction" is a phrase associated with global nuclear warfare, so Fallout can be a solution candidate. I managed to guess Fallout, Psychonauts, Puddle and Carmageddon without having played any of those games. Even Miysmata was possible to guess if you had seen the store page.
HiPhish: i have no idea how "planet voxel" relates to Outcast
Outcast is/was famous as one of the first games to use a voxel engine. Considering its age, it's even more impressive the computers of that time could run it.

HiPhish: how "sly boots" relate to Anachronox
Main character is Sylvester "Sly Boots" Bucelli

HiPhish: how "ice queen wears bikini" relates to Stonekeep
Not really sure either, this one was guessed from the rest of the letters.
Edit: Fesin points out it's one of the game's images, the 3rd one to be exact

HiPhish: how "selected" relates to Syndicate
Same as above, though see post 135

HiPhish: how "mob build" relates to Constructor
Constructor is the first game in the series, second one is Mob Rule

HiPhish: and how "worth your bottlecaps" relates to Defcon.
It doesn't. It relates to Fallout. The hint for DEFCON is Mutually Assured Destruction, which is the policy that prevents (yeah, right) the use of Nuclear Weapons. It doesn't work that well ingame though ;)
Post edited October 04, 2013 by JMich
Buenro-games: ...
HiPhish: Thanks for the solution. Now I don't regret giving up, even with the full solution I couldn’t guess most of the games. I think GoG's catalogue has simply grown too large for thes kinds of contests. i have no idea how "planet voxel" relates to Outcast, how "sly boots" relate to Anachronox, how "ice queen wears bikini" relates to Stonekeep (I would have guessed King's Bounty, because one of the rage spirits is an ice lady wearing a bikini, and she is visible on the game's store page and she is the icon for the Mac version), how "selected" relates to Syndicate, how "mob build" relates to Constructor, and how "worth your bottlecaps" relates to Defcon.

The other one could at least be guessed even if you didn't actually play the game, e.g. "mutually assured destruction" is a phrase associated with global nuclear warfare, so Fallout can be a solution candidate. I managed to guess Fallout, Psychonauts, Puddle and Carmageddon without having played any of those games. Even Miysmata was possible to guess if you had seen the store page.
The only ones I don't found was Miasmata and Defcon. And about your questions, Outcast is a voxel game and you are in another planet, "Sly Boots" is the nickname of the protagonist of Anachronox and the botlecap one is Fallout (is the in-game currency), no Defcon

Edit: ninja'd by JMich
Post edited October 04, 2013 by gandalf.nho