It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get a free GOG.com game with your Curse.com premium membership!

[url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank][/url]What a great day to have a curse! [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] premium membership, that is. We've partnered up with the fast-growing gaming network to make their sleek paid accounts offer even more awesome than before. Each premium user--whether they're upgrading their account or already have premium subscription--now gets to pick one of ten games redeemable on GOG.com. That's our way of putting a cherry on top of the already extensive offer, that includes--but is not limited to--unlimited access to a feature-full online gaming client, beta-keys giveaways, and various discounts with selected partners. Here's the list of GOG.com games that [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] premium members can pick from:

Sacred Gold
Gothic 2 Gold Edition
Empire Earth: Gold Edition
Divine Divinity
Dungeon Keeper Gold
Darwinia
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
Puddle
Defender's Quest
Megabyte Punch

As you can see, whether you are a role-player, a strategist, a puzzle-solver, or even a keen tower defender, you'll get something extra for yourself with your current or new premium [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] membership. More info on obtaining the free game can be found in [url=http://www.curse.com/news/curse/49289-curse-premium-membership-now-includes-a-free-game" target="_blank]this Curse.com news article[/url]. This partnership offer remains valid at least until December 31, 2014. We highly recommend [url=http://www.curse.com" target="_blank]Curse.com[/url] services, and hope you'll enjoy your free title!
WTF is this, don't fuck it up, Gog!
They have 11 games?? None of which are adventure, wtf!!
For those of you who don't approve of this move, I think it'd be best not to dwell on it too much. It's not really hurting anything, just as the GOG staff member said. Nothing is being ruined, GOG is not falling apart, etc.... It's just a promotion of another business, and anyone who gets a premium membership at Curse.com gets a nice bonus game here. Nothing wrong with that, and if you want nothing to do with Curse, you don't HAVE to join. There may be some reason to be a little suspicious about the partnership, such as the advertisement-like wording in this news post, but dwelling on it really isn't going to do that much.

Go ahead and disagree with me if you want, but I'm not going to get into an argument with anyone who replies to this post. Everyone has their own opinion, myself included. There is nothing wrong with a person's opinion, and neither is it wrong to express your opinion, which is what I am doing here, so I will not get into an Internet argument with anyone who replies to this message. Any opinions I will respect.
BillyMaysFan59: For those of you who don't approve of this move, I think it'd be best not to dwell on it too much. It's not really hurting anything, just as the GOG staff member said. Nothing is being ruined, GOG is not falling apart, etc.... It's just a promotion of another business, and anyone who gets a premium membership at Curse.com gets a nice bonus game here. Nothing wrong with that, and if you want nothing to do with Curse, you don't HAVE to join. There may be some reason to be a little suspicious about the partnership, such as the advertisement-like wording in this news post, but dwelling on it really isn't going to do that much.

Go ahead and disagree with me if you want, but I'm not going to get into an argument with anyone who replies to this post. Everyone has their own opinion, myself included. There is nothing wrong with a person's opinion, and neither is it wrong to express your opinion, which is what I am doing here, so I will not get into an Internet argument with anyone who replies to this message. Any opinions I will respect.
Well surely there is a point to be made that if Curse is such a bad site as some here are claiming it hurts the people siging up to Curse due to hearing about them on account of the GOG partnership. If people are apprehensive about GOG partnering with what they see as a shady site, I can understand that. Obviously GOG shouldn't be promoting shady sites. Is Curse a shady site? I have no idea. But stuff like an increase in spam after signing up an email address with them sounds worrisome. Doesn't mean they are shady, but if they do have lax security for example that is not something that GOG should encourage in any way. It can't hurt being picky about who you partner with.
Kristian: It can't hurt being picky about who you partner with.
I agree, Curse does admittedly seem kind of shady to me (which is why I haven't become a member there), but I find it easy to ignore myself. Others may not and that's fine.
Post edited January 03, 2014 by BillyMaysFan59
This whole 'Curse is evil' trend that started in the vanilla WoW days is something that I never really understood.

For the people that still are confused - Curse or Curse Gaming as it was called before, was a website ran by a World of Warcraft guild which served mainly as a place to go when it came to WoW's user-made mods. It was crude and slow but it gained popularity extremely fast due to Warcraft's quickly growing player count.

Curse, in the current form, was reintroduced some time later - with the infamous premium membership that gave paying members quality of life privileges that were previously free - the most important was the acquisition of a popular mod manager that automated a lot of tedious things connected to WoW's mods. This caused a lot of bad blood between the players and Curse and this image somehow persisted to today.

Now, I personally find nothing malicious in this partnership. This is most likely a typical scenario of a mutually beneficent partnership where each party injects fresh users to the other one.

As for the contemporary Curse itself - they run a lot of unofficial community websites dedicated to online games plus a lot of the "game databases" and wikis. They are very similar to Ten Ton Hammer in their operations.
I don't see what curse brings to the table. As a GOG customer, why do I care about curse?
tomimt: There's only one site you should be concerned with when it comes to truth: http://www.truthism.com/
Someone must have watched Stargate a few times too often. ;)
Attachments:
isisprince: I don't see what curse brings to the table. As a GOG customer, why do I care about curse?
If you're a Curse customer, you get a GOG game. That's all that this is about. It makes Curse's subscription slightly more attractive and in return directs some of Curse's customers to GOG. And if you don't want to subscribe to Curse then this doesn't affect you at all.
curse the Curse ... the only thing that can be found on their website is advertisement spam. no, thank you, not interested.
GOG partnering with a site that effectively charges for mods? WTF?
This is a nice arrangement; hopefully it will benefit everyone involved and we see more like it.

Judging from the responses, it would be a good idea to avoid using the word "partner" when announcing collaborations and cross-promotions in future. People seem to read too much into that word.
Strange. That's about all I have to say O.o
So, do you think it would be safe to assume that this was just a one off deal? If I'm understanding how this deal works(worked?), GOG just sells them some keys and puts out a quick blurb about them, and they (Curse) have something shiny to wave at people thinking about purchasing a premium account. If so, seems like a win/win for everybody involved.
Dzsono: I'm glad everyone else is as mystified as I am about what Curse does.
So am I.
Even after visiting their homepage I have no idea what they are.