It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Torchlight FREE for the next 48 hours, 500+ Games 50% off until July 5, Daily Deals up to 85% off!

The sun is shining, the weather is sweet, let's begin GOG's amazing humongous [url=http://gog.com/NoDRMSummer]2013 #NoDRM Summer Sale. Most of the games in our DRM-free catalog (that's 500+ titles!) are available half-price until July the 5th. You can also expect special Daily Deals, allowing you to grab bundles of games (or in some cases individual titles) up to 85% off! To add a cherry on top that huge, delicious summer gaming cake, for the next 48 hours we're giving away Torchlight, a fantastic hack-and-slash action-RPG, absolutely free to all GOG.com users! We have a lot of exciting deals in store for you, so remember to check our site frequently.

Normally, this paragraph would serve to further encourage you to go crazy with our extravagant and exciting offers. We'll get to that. But there's something important we'd like to address first. At GOG.com. we talk a lot about the importance of giving gamers the ability to play their games where they want, whenever they want, and how they want. Gamers should be able to play their games on any device they own in any location, no matter the Internet quality. There is only one way to ensure that: No DRM.

In the last few months, there has been a lot of outcry from gamers over DRM and how it is changing our favorite form of entertainment. If it keeps growing, it may well take a large part of the fun out of gaming. As anti-DRM crusaders, we're very glad to see that the issue of restrictive digital rights management has become an item of public debate, and we want to make sure that our #NoDRM stance is clear. None of the games in our sale have DRM, and none of our games ever will.

Once again: More than 500 games 50% off until July 5. Daily Deals bringing the discount even up to 85%. Torchlight distributed as a free gift to all GOG.com users until Thursday, June 20, at 12:59PM GMT. We'll throw exciting offers at you daily, so consider following us on [url=https://twitter.com/GOGcom]Twitter[/url], , and [url=http://j.mp/followGOGonYT]YouTube just to make sure you're not missing out. That's it! The 2013 #NoDRM Summer Sale is now on. Have fun and remember to support the #NoDRM movement on GOG.com and elsewhere!
Sweet!!!
MichiGen: Looks like this is the first time we got a discount on System Shock 2, am I right?
Correct.
I am so proud that I already own almost all titles in the Direct Dungeon&Dragons Bundle! :D
Im really excited for this Summer Sale and you are already off to a wonderful start, GOG. Im hoping that one day, my exodus from Steam to GOG will be complete. ;)
Bloodygoodgames: I must have played or owned at least 200 pirated games over the years (I'm in Bangkok, all games are pirated here :) I've never once a) had a game that didn't play and b) had a game with any kind of malware or virus.

Pirates don't infest their stuff with malware. They want you to come back and buy from them again.
There are three different groups of people which are not one and the same:

1. The people who crack the game or application.
2. The people who sell cracked copies on Thai market.
3. The people who share the games or apps anonymously on torrent sites, without charging anything.

#1 do it for fame.

#2 do it for money.

#3 do it 24/7 either because they are so good-hearted people who just want as many people as possible to play free games... or they just want you to install the special version to your computer for some "odd" reason. I mean, if you wanted people to install malware on their computers, what would be the best way to persuade them to do so? Maybe offer something they want, for free?

There are documented cases of malware-ridden apps and games shared on e.g. PBay, but it is not like it's an area that is been researched extensively, as anyone worth they salt understands the risks, and assumes that many torrents do indeed have malware in them. Note: the claim is not that _all_ torrents have malware.
Post edited June 18, 2013 by timppu
Fever_Discordia: If you're BUYing your warez that sounds like a very different scene to free torrents with different motivations, although I agree that there is a lot of FUD spread from the industry about this sort of thing (hells any infected warez probably originate from the industry's black ops dept. too *dons tin foil hat*)

I actually assumed that a lot of the hassle OP says GOG eliminates vs. priracy of old games is the same hassle you get just running your old retail disks these day - hunting the patches down, fiddling with compatibility settings etc

Although, yeah, people then just torrent the GOG'd versions, sadly
Bloodygoodgames: Yep, I actually realized after I wrote that that it wasn't quite the same as torrenting :)

I have torrented in the past and have to say I've never had malware etc.

Here in Bangkok just about every game ever made is on sale at thousands of bootleg stalls at malls and markets all over the city. And I MEAN thousands - there are at least 20 stalls less than half a mile from my house,

You just walk in, they have the covers of the games in photo album like folders and you pick out what you want. You pay for them and they give you a receipt. You come back 30 minutes later (games aren't kept at the stalls due to occasional raids by police, although the police themselves buy as many games as does everyone else :)

They give you the games along with the game covers (look just like the real thing) and then you can go a few stalls down and buy the plastic jewel cases for about 30 cents each if you want them. Most games sell for 100 baht ($3) and you get one game for free if you buy five games.

Having said that, I haven't bought bootleg games in the last few years as it's easier and cheap to buy most games online at places like GOG, Indie Game Stand etc, and I prefer to support the developers. Especially the indie ones.

But.....I will tell you, the US will NEVER stop the bootleg industry. There are literally millions of people involved in it and it's too lucrative. Hell, China has whole TOWNS devoted to copied products. Sure, the Chinese, the Thais, the Malays, the Vietnamese etc. will kowtow to the Americans whenever they complain about pirated goods but it will never ever stop them from pirating them.
And I realised on the way home that the reason that so many posts in this thread are coming up as 'low rated' is probably just because its generating so much extra traffic - for every viewer there's a percentage chance that they'll down rep a post so more viewer equals higher chance of the post getting hidden, I suppose

Yeah I've heard all sorts of crazy things about Chinese piracy like making perfectly natural looking chicken eggs purely from chemicals - some quite nasty for the domestic market and a kid who was electrocuted by a GameBoy charger that, apparently looked exactly like an official one!
Post edited June 18, 2013 by Fever_Discordia
Awesome, awesome sale. I think my strategy will be to wait for the daily 75%-85% off deals and then grab everything else I want on the last day of the sale. Even though I already own Alan Wake on Steam and Humble Bundle, 90% of is such a stupidly good deal that I can't pass it up.
Thank you guys for the Torchlight gift. I've been looking at that series for a while, and now I get to finally try it out.
rrr8891: Awesome, awesome sale. I think my strategy will be to wait for the daily 75%-85% off deals and then grab everything else I want on the last day of the sale. Even though I already own Alan Wake on Steam and Humble Bundle, 90% of is such a stupidly good deal that I can't pass it up.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/2013_nodrm_summer_sale_begins_on_gogcom/post129

Just a heads up on the games that won't be discounted that long. No telling if they'll be on a daily deal at some point.
Already had Torchlight, but now I have the manuals and some wallpapers. Thanks. At least I'll buy Daikatana and Balls of Steel. Maybe Interstate 76 and some pinball games,
Agh, this just has to show up when I'm saving money for a new computer. Like 90% of my wishlist is on sale!
Trilarion: Actually its really hot here now. Above 30 deg C. I wish my computer would include an air conditioning unit.
You just do not have enough fans on your machine.
With all the fans on my computer it rarely reads that anything gets above 23C in there and it blasts out cold air even at the moment and it is warm today I have to wear a long sleeved shirt and trousers when sitting next to it.
rrr8891: Awesome, awesome sale. I think my strategy will be to wait for the daily 75%-85% off deals and then grab everything else I want on the last day of the sale. Even though I already own Alan Wake on Steam and Humble Bundle, 90% of is such a stupidly good deal that I can't pass it up.
Shaolin_sKunk: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/2013_nodrm_summer_sale_begins_on_gogcom/post129

Just a heads up on the games that won't be discounted that long. No telling if they'll be on a daily deal at some point.
Yeah, I think it would be best if that was stated in the opening post as well!

And damn, GOG, I love you guys! Though I can't manage to buy up everything I have on my wishlist, as much as I'd wish to :D
How do I view all the games I don't already own? If I could, I would pick up most of the games I don't own on the 50% sale.
Shaolin_sKunk: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/2013_nodrm_summer_sale_begins_on_gogcom/post129

Yeah, just noticed that. I've got like 23 games from those companies on my wishlist, so hopefully at least a handful of them will get deeper discount deals in the next week.
So is the general consensus, wait to see if a game goes to 75% and if not buy it on July 5th?