It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

WinterSnowfall: In case anyone was wondering, this is how a temporary ban looks like.
So they're sorry. I guess that's Good News™ ;-)
DeMignon: So they're sorry. I guess that's Good News™ ;-)
What I noticed was the capitalized "You" in mid sentence. It adds a very "Yes, we know who You are, You should be ashamed of yourself" vibe to me.

I was expecting to see an angry GOGBear face next to it, or at least a paw print around there somewhere, but I guess they were in a serious mood when they wrote it.
Post edited March 27, 2017 by WinterSnowfall
I've been looking a bit into how GOG allocates ids for new games. In short, I'm sticking to my original theory that they're using trained monkeys to pull (10) sequences of digits out of a top hat.

Seriously now, there has been some noise in the lower end of the id range, so that's an area to keep an eye on usually. Some of the new Delta Force games, for example, are there:

https://api.gog.com/products/1079289132?expand=downloads,expanded_dlcs,description,screenshots,videos,related_products,changelog
https://api.gog.com/products/1160509725?expand=downloads,expanded_dlcs,description,screenshots,videos,related_products,changelog

Full Throttle is a bit higher up:

https://api.gog.com/products/1325415523?expand=downloads,expanded_dlcs,description,screenshots,videos,related_products,changelog

And I'm still scanning for the rest... but there seems to be no preference or logic in how they are allocated to be honest.
Post edited March 27, 2017 by WinterSnowfall
It seems the throttling police is back on duty. Officer GOGBear started issuing tickets to everyone going above 20km/h on the GOG products API highway; the tickets include a nicely standardized HTTP 429 error code (Too Many Requests).

My scanning speed took a hit but, arming myself with a new level of python mastery (yeah, I feel like I leveled up), I was able to minimize the damage and still go 40km/h without getting a ticket (for a long period of time, if not forever)... regardless, the speed is still at least twice slower than it was before.

Gee, thanks GOG...
Good luck outrunning the bear. :)
Good news, GOG has lifted all bans and limitations on its APIs!... yeah right, I only wish :).

The non April-fools truth is that I've spent more time coding in order to address GOG-imposed limitations in a not-so-time-taxing manner than I have on the actual data parsing. I'm not saying I'm not getting anything out of it, since I'm learning new stuff about threading/interlocking and inter-thread synchronization which I've never bothered with before, but it's still a bit frustrating to spend time optimizing work-arounds to all the GOG road blocks.

Open your API borders GOG, and punish the real service abusers! Stop this GOGBear police brutality!
I almost laughed my arse off when I found this one:
https://api.gog.com/products/1447152392?expand=downloads,expanded_dlcs,description,screenshots,videos,related_products,changelog
Post edited May 12, 2020 by WinterSnowfall
On this historical day I've finally completed a 3rd full products API scan. It was probably the longest scan of the 3, due to the new API throttling measures that the GOGBear has rolled out.

Some highlight of this scan are:
-> GOG has done an overall revision of their API entries to update some of the included product links from http to https - I believe this was done before the Galaxy 1.2 launch
-> I've detected no new yet unreleased & unannounced game API entries, a sign that GOG is being more careful with their API exposure (a good thing as far as I'm concerned, though it provides us less insight into the GOG release future)

If anyone wants a copy of my SQLite database with the data I've collected so far, please PM me, I'll gladly share it with you.

One more thing to mention is that this is probably the last full scan I will ever do and that I'm working on a system to automatically pick up new announced/released game ids to add them to my database.

As always, I'll keep you posted and will highlight anything that stands out while I'm keeping a watchful eye over the API landscape.
Post edited May 05, 2017 by WinterSnowfall
WinterSnowfall: One more thing to mention is that this is probably the last full scan I will ever do and that I'm working on a system to automatically pick up new announced/released game ids to add them to my database.
just curios: how do you plan to do that ?

I can only think of tracking the games available in the store. But the store id isn't necessarily the same as the game id.
immi101: But the store id isn't necessarily the same as the game id.
That's one of the main things I'm currently trying to figure out how to handle best.

It's still very much a work in progress ;). I'll let you know what I came up with (or better said if I came up with anything) when it's done.
immi101: just curios: how do you plan to do that ?

I can only think of tracking the games available in the store. But the store id isn't necessarily the same as the game id.
I haven't found a way around the limitation you've mentioned, and of course you're right... "bundled" games won't be traceable based on their id in the web catalog (taken from gogData), which is what I've used for my incremental scans in the end. Still, most of the times, for regular single-entry games, the ids match.
Post edited May 06, 2017 by WinterSnowfall
Can you give me an estimate of how many requests per minute are allowed? I'm only scanning the ~2000 existing games, so it can be on the lower side.
Yepoleb: Can you give me an estimate of how many requests per minute are allowed? I'm only scanning the ~2000 existing games, so it can be on the lower side.
Sure I can, but I don't have anything accurate to be honest, since the throttling mechanism GOG employs is sometimes downright weird. If you stay in the range of 200 queries per minute you should be good though. I usually run into trouble upwards of 300 per minute or so.
@WinterSnowfall:
Very interesting what you`re doing here. I don`t even understand a third of what you`re saying, but still it`s interesting. :-)
Maxvorstadt: @WinterSnowfall:
Very interesting what you`re doing here.
Don't know about that, but at least I'm getting to practice my scripting skills :).

Maxvorstadt: I don`t even understand a third of what you`re saying, but still it`s interesting. :-)
It's probably better that way. Knowing/understanding too much about the GOG APIs can induce anxiety, paranoia and even short-term horror on an ordered mind.

People with any slight hint of obsessive-compulsiveness should avoid the APIs at all costs. Why? They are messy, somewhat inconsistent, all over the place and you can't fix anything, tidy up the data or at least frown at the GOGBear because of all this (he's too busy banning people, as chief of GOG's throttling police).
Post edited May 23, 2017 by WinterSnowfall