It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Yes, Apple Music deleted 122GB of music files from his hard disk, without asking him. Not just the files downloaded as part of his Apple subscription but also filed he ripped from CDs and ones he created himself. And an Apple employee confirmed that this is how the software is supposed to work. It really is as bad as it sounds.

Full story: https://blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/
I wonder if one of these days a driverless car will detect a software mod or non-manufacturer/dealer/supplier crony relationship authorized part and shut down the car trapping someone in a natural disaster they were fleeing from.
pure.fucking.genius.

brb, gotta buy more Apple products.
Isn't iTunes drm-free (music files)?
Azhdar: Isn't iTunes drm-free (music files)?
So I understood, but apparently iCloud and Apple Music Subscription are very much not.
Apparently iCloud Music is with DRM and iTunes isn't. I don't get that either.
Maybe this helps: http://www.mcelhearn.com/the-real-difference-between-itunes-match-and-icloud-music-library-drm/
ydobemos: So I understood, but apparently iCloud and Apple Music Subscription are very much not.
Then fuck iCloud and Apple Music Subscription. According to OP, it seems Apple refuses to be responsible for its mistakes.
JimPhelps: Apparently iCloud Music is with DRM and iTunes isn't. I don't get that either.
Maybe this helps: http://www.mcelhearn.com/the-real-difference-between-itunes-match-and-icloud-music-library-drm/
Thanks for the info.
johnnygoging: I wonder if one of these days a driverless car will detect a software mod or non-manufacturer/dealer/supplier crony relationship authorized part and shut down the car trapping someone in a natural disaster they were fleeing from.
Or it could trap driver and drive him to the nearest police station.
low rated
As far as I can see, this is not an DRM issue.... What Apple does here is annoying, horrible and extremely strange - but it is not DRM, though, is it? Or are we now at the point that everything we do not like is DRM.
Post edited May 06, 2016 by amok
amok: As far as I can see, this is not an DRM issue.... What Apple does here is annoying, horrible and extremely strange - but it is not DRM, though, is it? Or are we now at the point that everything we do not like is DRM.
Can it be software's malfunction? Or any other explanation for Apple's behavior?
high rated
amok: As far as I can see, this is not an DRM issue.... What Apple does here is annoying, horrible and extremely strange - but it is not DRM, though, is it? Or are we now at the point that everything we do not like is DRM.
Reminds me of updates for Windows that randomly decide to delete CCcleaner and other tools. Removing them and resetting settings, is that DRM?

Hmmm nah, it's Malware! Doing it by a sheer fluke is one thing (as a random 0 or 1 changed can totally change the behavior of an instruction); INTENTIONALLY destroying your data is malware. Falls into the same group with Rootkits, ransomware and viruses.
That only applies to the music files, not being encrypted or having licenses attached required in order to decode it, or only playing on specific pieces of hardware.
low rated
Azhdar: Can it be software's malfunction? Or any other explanation for Apple's behavior?
No it is working exactly as intended, it is how it is supposed to work. Apple are just....dicks.. here, but it does not make it DRM.
Post edited May 06, 2016 by amok
high rated
Reading the article it's worse than I thought! It doesn't just delete files, it steals them first!

The apple service will scan your files, if it matches them from the database it knows it has them, but if not it will download your music, then delete them from your local computer, and you have to request them back from Apple. Worse the music composer in question had them as raw WAV files, meaning he'd get them back as lossy MP3 files and lose a lot of quality on his own music!

Damn... I have a whole new level of hate for Apple... Apple stealing your music, and MS stealing your network passwords and full access to your email and files (not to mention bandwidth). Both are horrible.
Azhdar: Can it be software's malfunction? Or any other explanation for Apple's behavior?
amok: No it is working exactly as intended, it is how it is supposed to work. Apple are just....dicks.. here, but it does not make it DRM.
It destroyed 122GB of data without asking. I consider that malware. For all we know it could have been all of his files rather than just his music.

'Oh this tax return information? We'll just store it here for you for safe keeping... And these files including all your bank numbers and misc passwords for your devices..'

edit: wtf! That post (12) was a about how it didn't qualify it as malware... Then it got replaced by the current edit. How annoying.
Post edited May 06, 2016 by rtcvb32
rtcvb32: Reading the article it's worse than I thought! It doesn't just delete files, it steals them first!

The apple service will scan your files, if it matches them from the database it knows it has them, but if not it will download your music, then delete them from your local computer, and you have to request them back from Apple. Worse the music composer in question had them as raw WAV files, meaning he'd get them back as lossy MP3 files and lose a lot of quality on his own music!

Damn... I have a whole new level of hate for Apple... Apple stealing your music, and MS stealing your network passwords and full access to your email and files (not to mention bandwidth). Both are horrible.
You also need to keep the subscription in order to access the files . Isn't that lovely? I mean... its the sound of progress /s
high rated
rtcvb32: Reading the article it's worse than I thought! It doesn't just delete files, it steals them first!

Legal pirates/criminals