It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

For the occasion of the Bethesda Publisher Sale, we asked a couple of our teammates at GOG about their favorite games from this publisher, and why they loved those titles, or what made them special to them. Below, you can read the first story, from our Design Lead, Bartłomiej Feruś.

I always was a huge fan of the “what if” question. Maybe that’s why most pop culture ideas with the alternative curses of history are kinda “my thing”.

I was fresh after reading “The Plot Against America” by Philip Roth (I highly recommend this book if you didn’t read it yet!) when Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus came out. So, it caught my attention in an instant (I missed the previous part probably just because I didn’t play many new video games for some reason at the time when it came out).

I was sold right away by the believable world of alternative 1960s spiced up by sci-fi elements of diesel-punk flavor. The attention to detail in this world is stunning, just to mention re-imagining the most iconic rock bands of 60’s counterculture as German counterparts.

Other details can be admired in the gorgeous artbook or simply by carefully exploring the game. The story itself is filled with exaggerated characters and insanely crazy twists that Takashi Miike or Quentin Tarantino wouldn’t be ashamed of.

But, let’s not forget that all of this merely serves just a background for the main course that Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus has to offer - killing hordes of Nazis. And this aspect of the game is engaging the most. The amount of upgradeable gear to send the Nazis where they belong in a violent, but at the same time, a sophisticated way will please the pickiest enjoyer of shooters. All those ingredients I’ve mentioned smoothly blend into one satisfying mix called Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus.

Jump into the second story about The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
GOG.com: What If history
"What if..."- scenarios can be an interesting thing.
Though, all too often, the authors simply change one particular thing in factual history, and then spin their fictional (hi-)story around that point, as if that sole change alone would/could alter (basically) everything else.

That's a tad too simple for my taste.
Post edited May 19, 2022 by BreOl72
high rated
Why promote a publisher that hasn't released any games here recently?
high rated
Yeah, it's all fine and dandy, but maybe some new games please?
low rated
"What if" you actually spent 5 minutes researching 'real history' to learn what really happened.
Beyond cringe. Just go back to drinking your corn syrup and mowing down yer gnatzees.
It and its predecessor certainly excel in the world building department and for the most part are just immensely entertaining romps but I still prefer my Wolfenstein with a heavy focus on exploration of the weird occult side of Nazism.

Which they tried to do again with Old Blood, but, due to the very short length of the expansion never really managed to recall the often quite unsettling and uneasy atmosphere and dread of Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Wolfenstein (2009).
low rated
GOG treats this forum and its users like crap, so why would I care what games the GOG staff like? Why would you make a post like this in the first place without even having new products to offer? Who is this post even for?

Also not shocked that GOG staff would think this franchise derailing game is full of good storytelling.
Post edited May 19, 2022 by ReynardFox
Swedrami: Which they tried to do again with Old Blood, but, due to the very short length of the expansion never really managed to recall the often quite unsettling and uneasy atmosphere and dread of Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Wolfenstein (2009).
Am I the only one who actually prefers TNO/TOB/TNC to RtCW? I played that recently and felt it was really just... okay. I think it's because it's a product of its time, but a lot of design decisions come up short.
Swedrami: Which they tried to do again with Old Blood, but, due to the very short length of the expansion never really managed to recall the often quite unsettling and uneasy atmosphere and dread of Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Wolfenstein (2009).
Warloch_Ahead: Am I the only one who actually prefers TNO/TOB/TNC to RtCW? I played that recently and felt it was really just... okay. I think it's because it's a product of its time, but a lot of design decisions come up short.
Can't speak for others, but, as I said I'm just more intrigued by RtCW's and Wolfenstein (2009)'s supernatural occult angle than the alternate universe sci-fi continuity in TNO and onwards.
high rated
What if... Bethesda added more games to GOG's catalog? ALL of the old Terminator games would be a good start.
Post edited May 19, 2022 by DoomSooth
Swissy88: "What if" you actually spent 5 minutes researching 'real history' to learn what really happened.
Beyond cringe. Just go back to drinking your corn syrup and mowing down yer gnatzees.
wait wait, Wolfenstein is not a documentary series?! :o
GOG.com: For the occasion of the Bethesda Publisher Sale, we asked a couple of our teammates at GOG...
You'd better find one of the developers of one of Bethesda's game (for example, Morrowind 'cause anniversary but also can be any) and do a mini-interview with him/her. Even if it's just a short interview with a couple of questions/paragraphs.
First, it was some unique "about game" knowledge (even if this developer already gave such an interview and gave answers to such questions).
Secondly, it would be useful in terms of preserving the history of games (Good Old Games, yeah).
Third, it would increase GOG's visibility among those very developers and those players who are interested in such interviews. Almost free marketing.
And many developers will be pleased that they are still being interviewed about some of the games they worked on.
Win-win variant for all.

Like "Hello, we are a DRM-Free game store GOG.COM. We sell, among other things, the game <GameTitle> that you worked on. Can you do a quick interview/answer a few questions?".
Swedrami: Can't speak for others, but, as I said I'm just more intrigued by RtCW's and Wolfenstein (2009)'s supernatural occult angle than the alternate universe sci-fi continuity in TNO and onwards.
I'm only bringing it up just to add some discussion, so I apologize for the digression, but it's feeling like Wolfenstein, as a series, is this good-but-not-great franchise if I felt RtCW was okay and a lot of 2009 I hear makes it seem like it doesn't really hold up. So TNO/TOB being as good is it is feels like an anomaly.

But I do agree that they should bring back the occult aspect after hyper techno nazis. Maybe Wolf III.

Oh, and just to actually talk about TNC, I felt it was a good game brought down by a LOT of superfluous design decisions that bog it down, not to mention being a much more frustrating game to actually play.
low rated
GOG.com: What If history
BreOl72: "What if..."- scenarios can be an interesting thing.
Though, all too often, the authors simply change one particular thing in factual history, and then spin their fictional (hi-)story around that point, as if that sole change alone would/could alter (basically) everything else.

That's a tad too simple for my taste.
you need to brush up on your quantuum theory by reading up on the "trousers of time" theory. after all The History Monks keep the Trousers pressed and mended
Swedrami: Can't speak for others, but, as I said I'm just more intrigued by RtCW's and Wolfenstein (2009)'s supernatural occult angle than the alternate universe sci-fi continuity in TNO and onwards.
Warloch_Ahead: I'm only bringing it up just to add some discussion, so I apologize for the digression, but it's feeling like Wolfenstein, as a series, is this good-but-not-great franchise if I felt RtCW was okay and a lot of 2009 I hear makes it seem like it doesn't really hold up. So TNO/TOB being as good is it is feels like an anomaly.

But I do agree that they should bring back the occult aspect after hyper techno nazis. Maybe Wolf III.

Oh, and just to actually talk about TNC, I felt it was a good game brought down by a LOT of superfluous design decisions that bog it down, not to mention being a much more frustrating game to actually play.
I played at least RtCW and it was an ok shooter for me. I am a more technology interested guy so the new titles we're a lot more up my alley and I enjoyed them a lot. But I would agree that the "tech nazi" stuff would be overdone if it would find its way in a third installment (but I doubt there will a third game).