It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas

Could easily result in a fantastic first-person action adventure game.
samuraigaiden: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas

Could easily result in a fantastic first-person action adventure game.
Yes, a lot of great material from Jules Verne... and in my opinion H.G Wells... that hasn't been used nearly enough in games.
Breja: Redwall - Basically it's classic fantasy, but with anthropomorphic animals. Which in theory makes it for kids, though the death toll in those books is sometimes closer to something like Game of Thrones :D An open world RPG in that setting could be something completely out of this world. But I'd settle even for a nice 2D point & click.

Firefly - I imagine it as a sort of Space Uncharted, but I guess something more like Desperados could work great too.

I Hate Fairlyand - it's a comic book series about a girl who travelled to a cutesy, cartoonish magical land... and then got stuck there, never growing up, for decades, because she's basically the worst fantasy story protagonist ever. And now she's pissed, hates everything, and is basically willing to find the exit over everyone's dead bodies. I'm not sure how I imagine the game... a comedic American McGee's Alice? A point & click? I don't know, but the series is over, but I'd love to see more of it, in any format.
Firefly seems like it work well for a video game, running missions and managing resources, like Xcom except more survivalish and open world, with managing fuel, repairs, food etc. You decide what missions to run, each with consequences, but you must run missions else you will die.

There is also a game where you run a submarine in a underwater world running missions that might make for a even better comparison, but I can't remember that games name.
Post edited October 25, 2021 by Hapygoo
Hapygoo: There is also a game where you run a submarine in a underwater world running missions that might make for a even better comparison, but I can't remember that games name.
AquaNox?

But mentioning subs reminded me of SeaQuest. Not much for that.
Post edited October 25, 2021 by Cavalary
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn

I think allomancy, feruchemy and hemalurgy would be fun game mechanics.
Supernatural could be a really good co-op shooter. Hell-hounds would require excellent sound-design and collision physics, swing iron melee at ghosts, and banishing demons would be mini-bosses.
jonwil: Or how about Altered Carbon (one of the best pieces of Cyberpunk visual media I have seen), there has to be a good game in there somewhere.
Altered Carbon could be a great video game particularly if they pretend that second season never happened. This isn't an Altered Carbon thread so I won't make a huge post about the many flaws of season 2. Focusing on season 1 though I think there is plenty of material for action, adventure, investigation, etc. One of the complaints on S1 was apparently the cost but a game would eliminate the cost of expensive sets. Plus we're all so used to respawning at this point that a game about the ability to respawn(rough summary) could have some interesting meta commentary.
I would love to see a competent Wheel of Time video game. The one we got was terrible.
Mplath1: Altered Carbon could be a great video game particularly if they pretend that second season never happened. This isn't an Altered Carbon thread so I won't make a huge post about the many flaws of season 2. Focusing on season 1 though I think there is plenty of material for action, adventure, investigation, etc. One of the complaints on S1 was apparently the cost but a game would eliminate the cost of expensive sets. Plus we're all so used to respawning at this point that a game about the ability to respawn(rough summary) could have some interesting meta commentary.
Not to mention that going off planet would result in a different body with different capabilities.
Post edited October 31, 2021 by paladin181
paladin181: Not to mention that going off planet would result in a different body with different capabilities.
And even that depends on how many credits you're willing/can afford to put into a new sleeve.
frogthroat: And even that depends on how many credits you're willing/can afford to put into a new sleeve.
Yep. Start the game in shitty sleeves and upgrade as you get more money/investments from better clients.
paladin181: I would love to see a competent Wheel of Time video game. The one we got was terrible.
Was it? I haven't played it (though plan to do so in some distant future) but I've heard that it's a decent shooter.
LootHunter: Was it? I haven't played it (though plan to do so in some distant future) but I've heard that it's a decent shooter.
Well, I wanted a different game. It may have been an ok shooter, but the story and premise were flat out garbage, and the MP was not very good at all. I was hoping for something more akin to LOTR the 3rd Age than what was released. I bought it, I played it and I don't believe I ever touched it again after the 1st level or 2.
frogthroat: And even that depends on how many credits you're willing/can afford to put into a new sleeve.
paladin181: Yep. Start the game in shitty sleeves and upgrade as you get more money/investments from better clients.
Aside from just upgrades I'm a big fan of the Souls-like gameplay loop. In the series those who can afford it get the best sleeves and the poorest get the leftovers. I seem to remember some poor 8 year old ending up in an 80 year old body or something horrific. So what if as you died you received worse sleeves or severely reduced stats, but it forced you to approach your goals differently? Die too many times and you might need to use some stealth or diplomacy approaches because until you get money to switch out your current sleeve, you just aren't built for climbing fences and bar fights. It would certainly be a challenge to design a game world that allows for that level of flexibility but it's not unheard of. Dishonored comes to mind a bit.
Mplath1: Aside from just upgrades I'm a big fan of the Souls-like gameplay loop. In the series those who can afford it get the best sleeves and the poorest get the leftovers. I seem to remember some poor 8 year old ending up in an 80 year old body or something horrific. So what if as you died you received worse sleeves or severely reduced stats, but it forced you to approach your goals differently? Die too many times and you might need to use some stealth or diplomacy approaches because until you get money to switch out your current sleeve, you just aren't built for climbing fences and bar fights. It would certainly be a challenge to design a game world that allows for that level of flexibility but it's not unheard of. Dishonored comes to mind a bit.
Yeah. It could be a great if terribly complex game. I'm not a huge fan of punishing players by making the game harder when you're already struggling. I like Dark Souls because it doesn't really punish you much. You lose your money and humanity (and kindled status) but nothing else, really. DS2 and 3, as well as DeS all punish you by making the world tougher if you die. I'm not saying it should get easier if you keep dying, but I don't feel like it should get harder. Perhaps some randomization to the sleeves. You might get lucky and that one you just got was a drunken brawler, able to match up a little with your combat abilities. Or perhaps a street thief that got caught.
low rated
fuck
Post edited November 03, 2021 by Sadd1997