It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

we're all a product of our generation. one or two overlappin'

it's flawed an' yet human
timppu: Sometimes I wonder if I am a human at all anymore as 99% of songs I hear don't interest me at all (including songs that others rave about). so it always feels so great to hear some unknown song that takes you by surprise (by how much you like it).
That sucks that you don't seem to like much new music....thanfully I seem to be the opposite.....I like many games/movies/songs others from my age group dislike or feel neutral about as they get older, for some reason or other.

timppu: Today I heard a Finnish song in my car radio and was totally "WTF is this?" and wasn't quite sure at first what to think about it, but the more I listened to the song, the more I got hooked. I feel like I should really buy this single, or maybe the whole album "Väärä Laulu" ("The Wrong Song") (I quickly listened to two other songs from the same album but they didn't have the same effect on me). Luckily I was able to catch the name of the song and band from the radio, I wrote it down to my phone while driving in order to remember it later.
Sounds good. You know what I wish more radio DJs would do? List the name of the song at the start and end of a song so people can write it down and search it later, like DJs used to do more years and years back on the radio.
GameRager: That sucks that you don't seem to like much new music....thanfully I seem to be the opposite.....I like many games/movies/songs others from my age group dislike or feel neutral about as they get older, for some reason or other.
For some reason I find it much easier to find (also new) game and even movie music that I like. With "real" music with vocals and shit, I find it harder to find stuff I really like, but occasionally do. I think I have been this way since my teens, I recall wondering as a kid why Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing" is such a big hit, when the song is so total boring shit. I was amazed the band didn't fall asleep while playing it.

And it isn't quite genre specific either. Quite often it is some kind of rock, sometimes pop, sometimes something completely else. Off the top of my head, a few semi-recent tunes I really liked from the past few years were e.g. "Don't You Worry Child" by The Swedish House Mafia, and "Chandelier" by Sia.

Then it goes the other way. When my colleague asked me what kind of music I like and I said "e.g. progressive rock", then he came up with links to music saying "then you certainly will love this!" by some bands I didn't recognize, supposedly progressive rock genre, and I was like "What is this shit? Sounds stupid.".

Needless to say, I've never been big going to rock concerts or anything, unlike some of my friends who live and breath concerts, I feel like they are total waste of my time and money. I did try to go to a Pink Floyd concert a long time ago but they cancelled (and then I was offered ZZ Top tickets in return... but they cancelled too!), I also went to see Lady Gaga with my wife because she likes it (I used earplugs the whole concert), and next month I am going to see some Finnish band "Atomirotta" ("Atomic Rat") that I know nothing about, just because my friends urged me to go see it with them.
Post edited October 19, 2019 by timppu
GameRager: Sounds good. You know what I wish more radio DJs would do? List the name of the song at the start and end of a song so people can write it down and search it later, like DJs used to do more years and years back on the radio.
True. In this case they did, and I also recall that at least some radio station used to list all the songs they have played that day on their web page, which also helps to track down a song you heard.
timppu:
Try searching for instrumental music. I listen to a lot of that (too) and also long songs with only very little lyrics (like a lot of the progressive music I listen to).

Mike Oldfield
Jean-Michel Jarre
Tangerine Dream
Kitaro

Those are all old and there are more modern artists too that are good but I cannot remember their names.
Themken: Try searching for instrumental music.
Yeah I may have to try that. It is just that I normally discover new music while listening to radio, and most radio stations don't seem to air such (mainly instrumental) music. If e.g. Radio Rock airs Pink Floyd music, they only play either "Money" or "Another Brick in the Wall", both songs that I dislike from Pink Floyd. Flat sounding boring rubbish, just like "Money For Nothing" from Dire Straits.

Why not play "Sheep" or "One of These Days" or "Shine on You Crazy Diamond: Part Two". Ok ok I know why, because they don't fit into the 3 minute timeslot that is apparently reserved per song on radio, they don't want to play songs that take 15 minutes or so.

Then again, I do like the vocals in e.g. "Chandelier" or "Don't You Worry Child" or "Ikoni". I am not even sure what the Ikoni lyrics are about, apparently the band is a folk rock band using material from Finnish folklore (Kalevala and such), and to me the song sounds almost like some kind of prayer or incantation to summon some ancient gods. Dunno, up to everyone's own imagination.

Ps. The radio station where I heard the Ikoni song was Radio Helsinki. I am starting to like that station because they constantly seem to play (quirky) music I have never heard before (kind of like they are trying to find and introduce listeners to hidden unknown gems; perfect for finding new music, new and old, that I might like), and they also constantly change what they play. Unlike something like Radio Nova which plays "Self Control", "Holding Out for a Hero" and "Sweet Dreams" every day, over and over again. Or Radio Rock playing the same Metallica, Rolling Stones and Iron Maiden classics over and over again that everyone and their mother has heard million times before.
Post edited October 19, 2019 by timppu
Events unfold exactly as planned. Or, to be precise, as FORESEEN!
Post edited October 19, 2019 by KiNgBrAdLeY7
BP
tinyE: BP
Hillary's back, tinyE, isn't that wonderful! lol
timppu: ...
I just have to try.. you like this sort of music at all? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNWGVU5gPfU

(Instrumental progressive post-rock from Russia)
Post edited October 19, 2019 by clarry
timppu: ...
clarry: I just have to try.. you like this sort of music at all? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNWGVU5gPfU

(Instrumental progressive post-rock from Russia)
I have no idea what post-rock is, but my first impressions were mostly positive. Maybe more variation between the different tunes would be needed.

I'd probably have to listen them fully and a couple more times to make a judgement, it wouldn't be the first time I have to listen to some tunes several times before I can fully appreciate them (Pink Floyd's "Sheep" being a good example of that, the first few times I heard it a long time ago were "Damn this is a weird song", but then it started to click and became one of the best songs I've ever heard).
low rated
timppu: For some reason I find it much easier to find (also new) game and even movie music that I like. With "real" music with vocals and shit, I find it harder to find stuff I really like, but occasionally do. I think I have been this way since my teens, I recall wondering as a kid why Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing" is such a big hit, when the song is so total boring shit. I was amazed the band didn't fall asleep while playing it.

And it isn't quite genre specific either. Quite often it is some kind of rock, sometimes pop, sometimes something completely else. Off the top of my head, a few semi-recent tunes I really liked from the past few years were e.g. "Don't You Worry Child" by The Swedish House Mafia, and "Chandelier" by Sia.
It happens...everyone is a bit different in various ways, after all(and I kind of like it like that, as it mkaes life more fun).

As for your tastes: I too love Sia...she makes some great music, it seems. I also love that vid you dislike.....eh, it works for me is all I can say. I like the parody with the Beverly Hillbillies better, though.

timppu: Needless to say, I've never been big going to rock concerts or anything, unlike some of my friends who live and breath concerts, I feel like they are total waste of my time and money. I did try to go to a Pink Floyd concert a long time ago but they cancelled (and then I was offered ZZ Top tickets in return... but they cancelled too!), I also went to see Lady Gaga with my wife because she likes it (I used earplugs the whole concert), and next month I am going to see some Finnish band "Atomirotta" ("Atomic Rat") that I know nothing about, just because my friends urged me to go see it with them.
I also would like to go to concerts but I dislike being around too many people because of my various issues, and would've gladly taken that spot at the Gaga concert fwiw.....hope you find a band you like when you go sometime in the future. :)
low rated
timppu: True. In this case they did, and I also recall that at least some radio station used to list all the songs they have played that day on their web page, which also helps to track down a song you heard.
Sounds good, for those that do so.....many times they play a bunch of songs and don't mention many names with some stations I listen to.

-----------------------------------
timppu: Then again, I do like the vocals in e.g. "Chandelier" or "Don't You Worry Child" or "Ikoni". I am not even sure what the Ikoni lyrics are about, apparently the band is a folk rock band using material from Finnish folklore (Kalevala and such), and to me the song sounds almost like some kind of prayer or incantation to summon some ancient gods. Dunno, up to everyone's own imagination.
That bit about incantations reminds me of the DethKlok(spelling might be off) episode where they use old spell lines as a song and awaken a large lake troll.
-----------------------------------

timppu: Ps. The radio station where I heard the Ikoni song was Radio Helsinki. I am starting to like that station because they constantly seem to play (quirky) music I have never heard before (kind of like they are trying to find and introduce listeners to hidden unknown gems; perfect for finding new music, new and old, that I might like), and they also constantly change what they play. Unlike something like Radio Nova which plays "Self Control", "Holding Out for a Hero" and "Sweet Dreams" every day, over and over again. Or Radio Rock playing the same Metallica, Rolling Stones and Iron Maiden classics over and over again that everyone and their mother has heard million times before.
I love both new songs if they are good and even the old stuff played over and over again(for nostalgia/etc). :)
Post edited October 19, 2019 by GameRager
GameRager: That sucks that you don't seem to like much new music....thanfully I seem to be the opposite.....I like many games/movies/songs others from my age group dislike or feel neutral about as they get older, for some reason or other.
timppu: For some reason I find it much easier to find (also new) game and even movie music that I like. With "real" music with vocals and shit, I find it harder to find stuff I really like, but occasionally do. I think I have been this way since my teens, I recall wondering as a kid why Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing" is such a big hit, when the song is so total boring shit. I was amazed the band didn't fall asleep while playing it.
Maybe you need to look into classical music?

Much of the music you see in movies and video games is more closely related to classical music than it is to more popular types of music.

If you're new to classical music, Beethoven is a good place to start (the 5th Symphony is famous for a reason); if not, there's more than enough classical music out there to last a lifetime, and there's a huge variety out there (in particular, music from different eras sound *nothing* alike; Bach and Mahler do not sound like one another).
Being appreciated.

Being relied upon.

Being smiled at.