It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

eagarza12: I had a realization today that some of my students (I'm a teacher) are showing some serious improvement over last year.
Grats, good for you.
Where I live, there's this student-organized LAN-party of sorts, which happens twice every year. They hold all kinds of gaming competitions with prizes, among the usual gaming. I won a combined 60€ worth of gift cards to a certain retailer from the last two parties (April 2013 and October 2013), and finally, after almost a year of waiting, I finally got to use them :> The retailer finally lowered the price of a couple of games I had had my eye on (AC III and Batman: AO, both for the Xbox 360): both were 20€ which meant I also had 20€ to spare, so I used that for Blair chips and all sorts of candies. I can't wait for the package to arrive: gaming goodness for weeks, and delicacies to go with it! And it practically didn't cost me a single cent. Nom nom.
Picked up the new cat a couple hours ago. He's wandering the house to get the lay of the land, easier to do as the wife dropped off the dogs at doggie daycare (yes, that's a thing). The Humane Society folks said he was being a fussy little grump and they eventually had to put him in the quieter quarantine room for the last four or five days of his stay - so we named him Oscar. (For those unfamiliar, Oscar the Grouch is a Sesame Street character that just about every kid in the States ought to have encountered on TV during their younger years.)

He's a quiet boy so far, seems to be around 12-14 pounds, and looks like he needs to lose some weight (like father, like son, I guess).

It's a bit sad that either a family is missing their cat or someone abandoned him in the middle of the coldest winter in quite a while. On the other hand we'll spoil the crap out of him, just like the dogs.
HereForTheBeer: Picked up the new cat a couple hours ago. He's wandering the house to get the lay of the land, easier to do as the wife dropped off the dogs at doggie daycare (yes, that's a thing). The Humane Society folks said he was being a fussy little grump and they eventually had to put him in the quieter quarantine room for the last four or five days of his stay - so we named him Oscar. (For those unfamiliar, Oscar the Grouch is a Sesame Street character that just about every kid in the States ought to have encountered on TV during their younger years.)

He's a quiet boy so far, seems to be around 12-14 pounds, and looks like he needs to lose some weight (like father, like son, I guess).

It's a bit sad that either a family is missing their cat or someone abandoned him in the middle of the coldest winter in quite a while. On the other hand we'll spoil the crap out of him, just like the dogs.
Promised myself to never host a pet ever again, as I hate cats, dogs, and their stupid low emotional-timebomb lifespan.

Am slowly coming to terms with the notion that these monsters' lives are short within or outside our horizon anyway, and that keeping them away from sight will not mean they don't die.

So, I'll probably end up taking a new one and making its obscenely short life as fucking awesome as I can. And, I guess, treating the attachment and ensuing devastation as a sign of success.

I'm only not sure I'm that much interested yet in, well, a cat who isn't the one I've lost.

WHATEVER. Mandatory happy thought. Poor day, but : the Dungeon Keeper sales made me happy. Just for their logic. Sudden high demand due to highly publicised EA fiasco ? Opportunity to make a shitload of money ? GIVE THE GAME AWAY.

Yes, it's also a calculation on new customers, I suppose. But still, there's something behind this line of reasoning that rejoyces me a bit.
Post edited February 14, 2014 by Telika
Not being so damn depressed, like I have been all week. Being able to do something other than weep and sleep was great. That made me quite happy.
It made me happy today that I made enough sushi yesterday evening that I got to eat it for lunch at work today. And then again now for dinner (but this is the last of it, I don't think raw fish should sit in the fridge too long).

Sushi is awesome, and home-made is even better. Only because I made it myself, even if the quality really does leave a lot to be desired.
We went to a home-energy seminar today, to get some info for a high-efficiency home we'd like to build on the land we bought last year. Some really good info.

Started out being a bit disheartened at the cost of saving electricity, gas, etc., but then the local tech college had a presentation on their passive house. They are implementing a lot of things in this house that we had already considered on our own, and it turns out that it's only about a 10-20% price premium over a 'regular' home so long as you don't go nuts on features with dubious payback. One nice thing is that it looks like a regular house for the most part, so these efficiency measures don't have to end up irritating the neighbors with a building that looks like a sun-dried turd or something equally wtf-ish.

There have been a bunch of highs and lows when looking at this stuff, but today was definitely a high.
nothing really but I like to think that this day wasnt particularly bad so that made me happy
Reminiscing of a co-worker who resigned when offered an internship four months ago.
This co-worker I saw on a daily for four straight months before we worked together or ever held a conversation.
Ever thought of what a person thought of you?

Conveniently listening to a Clarity remix.
Post edited February 16, 2014 by yarow12
I got floor seats to see Tool in concert and told the girl I like how I felt, so there is that.
My PC Engine came in the mail, time to OBEY!!
"I love you."
messing around with tech till 6am last night and for once i didn't break it and its still working!
some news
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/world/middleeast/suicide-bomb-instructor-accidentally-kills-iraqi-pupils.html?_r=1

and (sort of ) related video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYPyq4D8tk8

:)
now oddly i had a discussion about this the other day! short version: that is how you should teach by example don't be a coward and natter away then shoo them off to do it while you sit there not practising what you preach!