It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It made me happy that for the first time in a long while I managed to get home from work and actually sit down and play. I started Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Hopefully will have some time in the weekend to finish it.
Eleanor Catton, Man Booker prize laureate
What sparked these con­versations was a comment made on Twitter last month in which a Kiwi reader of the Paris Review objected to the use of the word “crepuscular” — a bookish adjective that derives from the Latin crepusculum, twilight — citing the word as evidence of the writer’s self-indulgence, and claiming that the creative essay in which the word appeared was an example of elitist writing.

The implication was clear: by using the word “crepuscular”, the writer in question was addressing an elite few, and forcing all others to look up the word (shamefully, laboriously) in the dictionary...
(...)
The machine of consumerism is designed to encourage us all to believe that our preferences are significant and self-revealing; that a taste for Coke over Pepsi, or for KFC over McDonald’s, means something about us; that our tastes comprise, in sum, a kind of aggregate expression of our unique selfhood.
Eleanor Catton is discussing the appropriateness of "crepuscular" but cannot handle "comprise". Fukken look it up, hipster.

(Does it qualify as situational <i>irony</i>? Eh?)
Due to working on Sunday, I am on overtime today. It's a boring day, but that extra money will be nice. I may have to leave early because I am having trouble keeping my eyes open.
My birthday is not for another 52 days, but today I found out that my best friend bought me a Stratocaster! It's the one on the right, by itself.
Attachments:
2007.jpg (34 Kb)
DieRuhe: My birthday is not for another 52 days, but today I found out that my best friend bought me a Stratocaster! It's the one on the right, by itself.
Let me quote Pink Floyd One of my turns: Are all these your guitars?
DieRuhe: My birthday is not for another 52 days, but today I found out that my best friend bought me a Stratocaster! It's the one on the right, by itself.
DubConqueror: Let me quote Pink Floyd One of my turns: Are all these your guitars?
No, they belong to my friend. Once he sends it, I'll have two. Whoo!
Okay, real disgustingly bad times here. So. Self-discipline into posting in this thread once a day. Let's try that.

TODAY, a huge magnificent storm. Heavy violent rains, howling wind, tall trees bent into diagonals, screams and laughters outside. Was pretty majestic. I love these weathers.

Part of it was enjoyed by ear, from a hot bathtub. Soothing.
Telika: TODAY, a huge magnificent storm. Heavy violent rains, howling wind, tall trees bent into diagonals, screams and laughters outside. Was pretty majestic. I love these weathers.

Good for you :D
I got to experience that same storm a little more up close. Went into Migros for shopping and when I came out a couple minutes later, hardcore rain. BAM, wet!

I ran to the nearby health food store to buy 'emergency' chocolate to get a morale +1 bonus and a very friendly customer lady let me have all her coupons, that was awfully nice (yes, I collect coupons). Random kindness from a stranger, made my day.

edit: It also made me happy that my former schoolmate Dominique Gisin won the olympics, finally.
Post edited February 13, 2014 by awalterj
Telika: TODAY, a huge magnificent storm. Heavy violent rains, howling wind, tall trees bent into diagonals, screams and laughters outside. Was pretty majestic. I love these weathers.

awalterj: Good for you :D
I got to experience that same storm a little more up close. Went into Migros for shopping and when I came out a couple minutes later, hardcore rain. BAM, wet!

I ran to the nearby health food store to buy 'emergency' chocolate to get a morale +1 bonus and a very friendly customer lady let me have all her coupons, that was awfully nice (yes, I collect coupons). Random kindness from a stranger, made my day.
Clever move. Migros makes the best chocolates. At least in the induustrial category. Heck, they even make ones resembling to the old "homogeneous" chocoleti, now.

And yeah, same thing happened at the coop a few days ago, a woman giving her coupons - actually a card full of stickers - in front of the discounted stuff we can buy with them. As I didn't need them, she just left them there. Good mentality.

In Athens, train and subway tickets last for a few hours. The tradition was, when you made a short travel, to just leave your ticket on the machine for others to picke them up and use the remaining time. Or even to just hand these tickets to unknown people. Now, this behaviour gets punished if spotted. An enforced change of mentality.

Wait, this is the cheer up thread. Well, yay, our malls don't have (yet?) cops ensuring that coupons aren't handed over between customers. So, lets rejoyce about it.

(It's probably because it doesn't happen often enou-- hm, nothing. Weepee.)
I had some peanut butter early this morning. It was yummy.
Telika: And yeah, same thing happened at the coop a few days ago, a woman giving her coupons - actually a card full of stickers - in front of the discounted stuff we can buy with them. As I didn't need them, she just left them there. Good mentality.

In Athens, train and subway tickets last for a few hours. The tradition was, when you made a short travel, to just leave your ticket on the machine for others to pick them up and use the remaining time. Or even to just hand these tickets to unknown people.
If everyone would get in on the concept of 'paying forward', the world would be a much nicer place, indeed!
It took me more than three decades to understand and start applying this simple concept. I used to be frustrated when someone did me a favor and I couldn't pay back the favor to that exact same person. Now, I understand that it's much simpler to pass on random kindness to the next random person and keep 'passing the ball' instead of a silly dribble between the same two people ad infinitum. Goal: Getting as many people as possible in on that universal ball game.
I was made happy today by the sobering thought of where I was a couple years ago, and where I am today. I may be poor, but at least I'm happy knowing my quality of life has improved.
Today i was real happy about my 350th GOG game....that i could download, now only 60 left.
I had a realization today that some of my students (I'm a teacher) are showing some serious improvement over last year.
Reading this thread :)