It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A fellow tech led me to a customer needing a machine installation. I got the work, the fellow tech disassembled and packed the machine so that part was all done correctly, the used machine is in really nice shape, the installation started a few days early, and I should be finished early and well under the rough estimate I gave them. As a cherry on top, they're already asking about periodic maintenance visits. The only downside is that the customer is nearly 1,000 miles from home so I'll probably recommend a fellow tech closer to their facility for any follow-on work.
Fixed a friend's computer. I think. If it was going to conk out, I reckon it would have done so already, so I'm going to call it a mission accomplished for now.
The parts for my new computer build came today:

8-core AMD FX-8320 (3.5 GHz) (really wanted the FX-8350 at 4 GHz, but the resulting package was much too expensive for my taste)
ASUS Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 (did want the ASRock 990FX Extreme9, but I guess they're roughtly equivalent, and the package with the ASUS and above CPU was cheaper)
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (included with the motherboard and CPU package, again, picking the three parts by themselves would've been more expensive)
Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-X OC 2GB
120 GB SSD (for system and applications)
256 GB SSD (for games)
650W 80+ Gold PSU

Just after I got the packages from the pick-up point and dumped them at home, I went out to have dinner and a couple beers with a friend (he called as I was lugging he stuff home).

All in all, a good day.
Post edited January 17, 2014 by Maighstir
great idea for a tread!
+rep
Post edited January 17, 2014 by chezybezy
Laptop was running a bit hot, even managed to shutdown when left idling for cards on Legends of Dawn. So time to gut it and clean it.
Went smoother than I thought, and even after compiling for quite a while, temperature didn't pass 71 Celsius (~160 Fahrenheit).
Hope I won't have to do it again soon, though next time I think I should replace the thermal paste as well.
I woke up. :D
tinyE: I woke up. :D
Any day you're not killed in your sleep is a good day. At least when you're awake the killer has the chance to see the horror in your eyes.

Almost every time someone talks about waking up (from sleep, rather than coma or unconciousness) or going to bed, I come to think of the Aiel from The Wheel of Time. Their good-night greeting is "sleep well, and wake", because if you're still alive and can wake up in the morning, you've obviously had a good night (ie. you haven't been killed by eg. a snake, scorpion, or member of a competing clan while sleeping).
Post edited January 17, 2014 by Maighstir
AlKim: Fixed a friend's computer. I think. If it was going to conk out, I reckon it would have done so already, so I'm going to call it a mission accomplished for now.
Feels weird to reply to my own post, but that one turned out to be bollocks. I think I've got it now, though, and that's nice. I'll know for sure in a few days.

More importantly, I think I got big-brother-zoned, as weird as that may sound as a concept. I suppose many would be disheartened by that, but nevertheless that's the nicest thing that has happened to me in ages.
Well today seemed like it was going to be pretty shitty since I had blown $10 on a loosing scratch-off lottery ticket until a friend of mine needed me to help him run some errands. He and a couple of his friends don't have cars so I got the stuff for them and they paid me back in full with interest which beyond covered gasoline usage.
Masturbation
Today: nothing (its 1.30 am)
But yesterday...i was depressed...not a good sign for this day time to watch Grave Of The Fireflies again or maybe a parliament debate? Dawn of the Dead...no its a funny one. funny yes
Schnuff: Today: nothing (its 1.30 am)
But yesterday...i was depressed...not a good sign for this day time to watch Grave Of The Fireflies again or maybe a parliament debate? Dawn of the Dead...no its a funny one. funny yes
that movie is so awesome and yet makes you wanna kill yourself after watching it :P
It would be inappropriate of me to say.
Hoping to get a boost of happy next week.

Wife called last night as she was leaving work to come home. She said she was going to be a bit late, as a cat ran in the open door at the office (it's a headquarters building for a large regional employer) and she and a few other people had to round up the kitty.

Turns out it has no collar but appears to be completely domesticated. Big gray puddy and she said it's super-friendly. The girls at work were trying to talk her into bringing it home but there are a couple problems with that:

- someone might be looking for it (I hope so, and that it wasn't simply abandoned in this unusually cold winter)
- we have two dogs, and we need to see if they'll get along before bringing it home with us

So I told them to call the local Humane Society office to come pick it up, and to give our name and number. This gives the owners a chance to reunite with their cat, if they choose to do so. If not, well, I'm going over later today to take a look at the cat and see what's up. Probably going to cut them a check for yet another donation, on the stipulation that we get first shot at the cat - either for us or for my mom - once the one-week lost-cat period expires.

We had no intention of getting a cat (it's been three or four years since the last one passed on) but we're suckers for the hard-luck dogs and cats that wander into one's life. Mom's been looking for one since she lost both her old cat (he was a rotten little shithead cat but they loved him anyway) and her husband / my step-dad in the last couple years so maybe we'll get it for her, instead.

Crossing my fingers...
a question which troubled a friend of mine :

dude, do you think well- hung- shemale dwarves with big boobs have backpain?

hahahaha, try answering that