It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Maxvorstadt: Well, thanks for the info. But at least you have seen a bit of the series, as the movie takes material from the first episodes of it.
Tarnicus: I'll have to grab it sometime when I can :)
catpower1980: Actually, as much as I like Asian movies in their original versions (both in terms of "cut" and language), I prefer Shogun Assassin over the Baby Cart series as the pace is much faster and closer to Hong-Kong movies.

Funny thing is that I discovered it back in the early 90's through VHS quality then many years later, I got the UK Blu-Ray and due to the much increased image resolution, I got quite amused at the bad "make-up" of the main villain with his ovbious fake eyebrows :o)
Tarnicus: One of the things I enjoy most about Japanese film-making (Akira Kurosawa stands out the most) is the slower pacing. I love a good fast-paced martial arts film too but there is something to me about the slower pacing that enhances the meaning of the action scenes and poignant moments.
Yeah, it`s interesting. Be sure to watch the japanese original with german subtitles! :-) It sounds much more interesting.
Tarnicus: One of the things I enjoy most about Japanese film-making (Akira Kurosawa stands out the most) is the slower pacing. I love a good fast-paced martial arts film too but there is something to me about the slower pacing that enhances the meaning of the action scenes and poignant moments.
Yeah I understand. For me, Japanese movie pacing is a hit or miss... I'm not fond of chambaras for this reason but I quite liked Harakiri/Seppuku (by Kobayashi) which was a good example of story and tension building.
Maxvorstadt: Yeah, it`s interesting. Be sure to watch the japanese original with german subtitles! :-) It sounds much more interesting.
Wouldn't it sound the same regardless of the subtitles? :P My German is pretty rusty and is limited to a couple of phrases :D

catpower1980: Yeah I understand. For me, Japanese movie pacing is a hit or miss... I'm not fond of chambaras for this reason but I quite liked Harakiri/Seppuku (by Kobayashi) which was a good example of story and tension building.
Thanks for the reminder, I read the synopsis of that film and am positive that I have seen it before, but not for many (15-20?) years :)
catpower1980: Yeah I understand. For me, Japanese movie pacing is a hit or miss... I'm not fond of chambaras for this reason but I quite liked Harakiri/Seppuku (by Kobayashi) which was a good example of story and tension building.
Japanese movies are sometimes a bit weird, too! I`ve seen a few and although they were not bad I often was like "WTF?".
Maxvorstadt: Japanese movies are sometimes a bit weird, too! I`ve seen a few and although they were not bad I often was like "WTF?".
That is what I love about anime so much in particular - the stories are different. Yeah they have their own cultural cliches and repetition of ideas, but overall I find many of the stories fascinating and very different from the majority of Western films. Learning Japanese for 3 years probably adds to my enjoyment although I do not remember much due to not using it regularly. I generally can't stand watching Japanese movies that have been dubbed(Shogun Assassin was an exception) as I enjoy hearing the Japanese language and the emotion conveyed.
Maxvorstadt: Japanese movies are sometimes a bit weird, too! I`ve seen a few and although they were not bad I often was like "WTF?".
Tarnicus: That is what I love about anime so much in particular - the stories are different. Yeah they have their own cultural cliches and repetition of ideas, but overall I find many of the stories fascinating and very different from the majority of Western films. Learning Japanese for 3 years probably adds to my enjoyment although I do not remember much due to not using it regularly. I generally can't stand watching Japanese movies that have been dubbed(Shogun Assassin was an exception) as I enjoy hearing the Japanese language and the emotion conveyed.
Honto, Tarnicus-san!
Okay, quiet up there sushi eaters, here we go
Attachments:
ironmask.jpg (29 Kb)
Post edited August 11, 2015 by Breja
Thta pretty much depends of the era... Most japanese movies up to the 80's were somehow "standard" with some occasional bursts of sex, violence or visual style (just as in europe/usa, the 60-70's were a golden era of creativity in b-movies). It's mostly when Tsukamoto released "Tetsuo" in 1989 that the japanese cinema started to get the weirdness flavour in the international press. When digital video became affordable around 2000, it basically opened the gates to a ton of wacky productions like "Machine Girl" for example....

Damn, you make me want to dive back in my movies collection :o)
Breja: Okay, quiet up there sushi eaters, here we go
Hmm, I`m sure I`ve seen this movie, but I can`t put my finger on it.
Maxvorstadt: Hmm, I`m sure I`ve seen this movie, but I can`t put my finger on it.
That is exactly what I was about to type!
Not exactly my area of expertise.

Damn gogbear showing posts five minutes after you've posted them.
Post edited August 11, 2015 by bad_fur_day1
Well I'll throw out a guess (and I'm not sure why this movie sprang to mind) and say The Man With the Iron Fists?
Totally wild guess : "Man In The Iron Mask" with Leonardo Di Caprio (I remember my girlfriend back then getting excited about it coz it was the DiCaprio craze at this time).
Guesses;

A Man Called Hero, Storm Riders, Storm Warriors.

*It's definitely not The Man in the Iron Mask, his mask was different. Square eye slits if I remember correctly. On a side note, quite a good movie.
Post edited August 11, 2015 by bad_fur_day1
Tarnicus: Well I'll throw out a guess (and I'm not sure why this movie sprang to mind) and say The Man With the Iron Fists?
Nope
catpower1980: Totally wild guess : "Man In The Iron Mask" with Leonardo Di Caprio
Waaaay of the mark. Also, I wouldn't put the title (or part o it_ in photo's name :)

bad_fur_day1: Guesses;

A Man Called Hero, Storm Riders, Storm Warriors.
None of the above.

Hint: it's based on A Fistfull of Dollars. Or Yojimbo, take your pick. They all come from Red Harvest anyway.
Attachments:
yojimbo.jpg (58 Kb)
Post edited August 11, 2015 by Breja