It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Those Who Haunt Ghosts - A Century Of Ghost Hunter Fiction

I love ghost stories, and I love tales about ghost detectives even more, so what's not to like? I thought I had found all the good ones, but this collection has added some long-lost gems.
This is kind of nerdy, but I've been leafing through Prima's official strategy guide to Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. I read it all the time as a preteen, and I recently took it down from my shelf for the occasional fun read. Not only was it helpful, but it also had a lot of humor thrown in. So many of these game manuals and strategy guides actually helped me become a better reader and writer for school (believe it or not). I'm not sure if I'll ever have the opportunity to play Jedi Knight again, but I'm glad I have this book to help relive my youthful memories.
Knights in habits /Rycerze w habitach/ by Edward Potkowski

Nice, but not very deep presentation of catholic military orders' history and structure - mainly focused on the Knights Hospitaller, Knights Templar and Teutonic Knights.
I walked past my gaming bookshelf this morning and took a moment to peruse the spines. I was shocked to notice a book I forgot I owned: Prima's Official Strategy Guide: StarCraft Campaign Editor. Man, all those high school memories came flooding back! I tried my hand at making my own custom missions back then, but I never got far enough to link several into a campaign. I remember learning to make doors open when units approached them, as well as how to time the dialogue boxes in milliseconds. I even recorded my own voice with Sound Recorder for use in a mission - it was bloody awful! Needless to say, if I ever want to try again, I can always refer back to this manual.
Dies The Fire by S. M. Stilring
Rolf Dieter Müller, The unknown Eastern Front: The Wehrmacht and Hitler's foreign soldiers.

Interesting book about the non-German troops fighting on the German side against the Soviet Union in WW2; includes coverage of German allies like Finland, Hungary, Rumania and Italy, of volunteers from Western and Northern Europe (e.g. the Spanish Blue Division), and finally of Eastern Europeans who wanted to escape from Soviet rule (e.g. the Latvian Legion, the Vlasov army etc.). Read about Hungary and Rumania...fascinating stuff, their participation in the war was conditioned to a large extent by their rivalry over territories Hungary had lost to Rumania after WW1. Recommended.
Finishing Civilization of communism /Cywilizacja komunizmu/ by Leopold Tyrmand

As always with communism - you don't know if you should laugh or cry. Wonderful book full of bitter irony - great sense of humour. Just brilliant.
Kollektivschuld - der unverstandene Schatten

It's just an article but I guess reading is still reading no matter whether it's a book, a manual or an article?
Post edited December 21, 2017 by viperfdl
Just finished Steinbeck's East of Eden, which was an amazing book. Next I'll probably start reading Burroughs's Queer, even though I'm not sure I like his work.
Ready Player One

Yes I know compared to what everyone else is posting it's crap, but I need an escape! :P

Sometimes you need deep and sometimes you need RoboCop. :D
Just finished my n'th psycho thriller, just a few more and I'm ready to work as a shrink/psychotherapist.
Post edited December 21, 2017 by NuffCatnip
Regarding escapism:

I'm also reading the book "Zwergenblut" by Frank Rehfeld. I'm actually reading the whole trilogy a second time because I'm running out of space for new books.
Not badly written at all: Pryor Convictions & other life sentences - Richard Pryor autobiography with Todd Gold. Memories of my childhood watching him and Chevvy Chase, Andy Kaufman et al on Saurday Night Live.
The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov.
ciemnogrodzianin: The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov.
I'm reading his physics book at the moment. I also just picked up copies of Realm of Numbers and The Measure of the Universe, which are on the backburner. I'm considering putting the physics book on the backburner for now and reading the others first.

As a side note, I read that Assimov wrote over 500 books! That is incredible. Apparently he wrote the sci-fi stuff to pay the bills. It is obvious in his style that his thing was non-fiction, even though he wrote relatively few non-fiction books in comparison to the sci-fi stuff.
Post edited December 22, 2017 by higix