It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

KingofGnG: Finished reading this book about myths from around the "new" world, ie the Americas, Australia and Oceania. 4/5, a pretty wild and fantastic voyage that left my mind with a lot of names and weird stuff to process like Maui and Tawhaki, Ranginui and Papatuanuku, Tawhirimathea, Gucumatz/Kukulcan, Quetzalcoatl, Tezcatlipoca the Black, Xipe Totec the skinned god, and much, much more.

I fucking love mythology, so I fucking loved the book. Now I'm more than ready - at least readier that a good chunk of the world's moviegoers - to watch Disney's Moana :-P
If you love Mythology you should love the Neil Gaiman's Novels and comics books:
- "American gods" (all mythologies),
- "Anansis boys" (african mythology but maybe you should read "American gods" first. However you can read this one alone),
-"Sandman"(About Morpheus the immortal god of Dreams. He's a god in a lot of mythologies and he sometimes tells stories about is past. So with him you travel in mythologies, in time and in dreams .Maybe the best comic book i read)
Now I'm reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
Based on a true story...
I'm impressed with this novel
The 80 / 20 Principle by Richard Koch.
If you like optimizing every aspect in your life to get more by doing less, free up time, rise in your career then utilizing this is of paramount importance. Fun fact: some dude in the 50s brought this idea to the growing corporations in Japan. Then in 70s the Americans had to use it to. Masked as quality insurance but it's simply an efficiency tool (kill that asset, it's not productive or lacks productive potential etc..) but with vast potential.

Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu. (Translator: Derek Lin)
What a weird book. It's like an Eastern version of Greek Stoicism but with a flair of poetic spirituality which I kind of like, an area I have not read much about. There's ancient wisdom in there but there's also pseudo-knowledge too brought on by dogma and unnecessary rituals like in most religions or life philosophies. I do like the concept of a spiritual world that doesn't need dieties, dieties have always been propaganda tools representing authority figures and I abhor personified authorities.
Post edited November 15, 2018 by Nirth
Star Wars: Heir to the Empire, by Timothy Zahn.
Reading Lovecraft's works currently. I realized I am missing a lot in the weird/horror genre.
Iron Coffins by Herbert Werner. Documents his tales on the sea as a U-boot officer during WWII.

I also recently watched Das Boot and am playing Silent Hunter III quite a bit, so I guess you could say I'm in full submariner mode.
The Dwarves by Markus Heitz
Currently I'm reading GOG forum posts at the moment.
Shift, by Hugh Howey. Depressing story, sort of a prequel to Wool, explaining how the world in Wool came to be.

After that, gonna take a break from that story line and put off the third book for a while. Picked up a couple Christopher Moore titles, and a few more Elmore Leonard books, so I might go that route instead - should lighten things up considerably.
SWTOR "Deceived" by Paul S. Kemp ('bout half done now.) After that will be "Red Harvest" Looking forward to read it wonder how they do the whole zombie/star wars thing.
Currently :
- "Hell House" by Richard Matheson. It's just ok. Glacial pace. Lots of redundancy. Really annoying character (Florence) that I keep hoping will die a horrible death. But I'm committed to finishing it to get the sense of closure on it.

Next up :
- "The Dark Tower II : The Drawing of the Three" by Stephen King.
- "The Republic of Pirates" by Colin Woodard

DieRuhe: The second Elric book.

When I was younger, I had it in my head that these were dull, plodding, complicated novels. I don't know why. I probably read tried to read one in high school and didn't like it. But recently my library had a book sale and I bought a bunch of them; I read the first and was hooked.

Fantasy is still my favorite genre, but these days it seems like the cast of characters in any popular set of novels is way too huge; it's nice to read something a little more streamlined.
Ahh, I envy you! My all-time-favorite fantasy series (I named my Dave Mustaine Signature guitars "Stormbringer" and "Mourneblade" respectively). I finally got my girlfriend to read them. She's a fantasy nut (has a cat named "Frodo") and she's enjoying them quite a bit. I couldn't believe she had never read them before.

Incidentally, I'm not sure if you like metal music, but you should check out the Itallian band Domine, who devote the lion's share of their music and albums to the Elric saga. And Spanish band Dark Moor did a 10-minute epic titled "The Fall of Melnibone".
Post edited November 23, 2016 by Firebrand9
The Secret Place by Tana French. I've read all of her previous novels (all murder mysteries set in and around Dublin, though each follows different detectives), and there hasn't been a bad one yet.
Firebrand9: Incidentally, I'm not sure if you like metal music, but you should check out the Itallian band Domine, who devote the lion's share of their music and albums to the Elric saga. And Spanish band Dark Moor did a 10-minute epic titled "The Fall of Melnibone".
Awesome; I shall check them out. I love metal. And your guitars!

edit: "Tanelorn" by Blind Guardian just popped into my head.
Post edited November 24, 2016 by DieRuhe
Just finished "Serpent of Venice" by Christopher Moore, who is always good for a larf. This is another one of his that plays around with Shakespeare.

Moved on to "Canticle for Leibowitz". We'll see if this is a book I can wrap my brain around.

Can't remember if I mentioned it earlier, but before Moore's book I read "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman. Really enjoyed it.
The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy.

It's a novella about the slow, mortifying process of death. One thing is for sure, I'm even more determined death should happen quickly, doesn't really matter how or when, if preferable closer to old age, as long as it's as close to instanenous as possible.
Post edited December 17, 2016 by Nirth