It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Doudna's & Sternberg's A Crack In Creation: Gene Editing and the Unthinkable Power to Control Evolution.
Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
She the chick who invented sci-fi!
Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.
I'm reading Brightness Reef by david Brin (book 4 of the uplift saga)
I am reading The Hobbit or There and Back Again right now. I only watched the movie trilogy previously.

I heard some people used to say that the first version of the film/book you are getting acquaint with will always be more enjoyable. But I enjoy reading the book much more.
Druyan's Cosmos: Possible Worlds .
Georg Simmel - Der Krieg und die geistigen Entscheidungen. Reden und Aufsätze
Lucy M. Mongtomery - Anne of Avonlea
The Island of Doctor Moreau by H.G. Wells.
First novel of the new Thrawn series.
neumi5694: First novel of the new Thrawn series.
Is it any good? I was a huge fan of Star Wars books in the first half of the 90s. I especially loved the original Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn.

Young Jedi Knights was a bit of a first disappointment (it was advertised as Star Wars for "young adults", so... yeah, my fault) and I became more careful choosing which books to read. Then (after a few more slightly disappointing novels), I basically stopped reading any Star Wars books (after the first two The New Jedi Order books at the end of the 90s).

During the mid-2000s I gave Star Wars novels another chance. But only a few selected ones. Survivor's Quest, Outbound Flight, Allegiance and Choices of One by Timothy Zahn were... well, kinda hit or miss. The Bane Trilogy by Drew Karpyshyn was pretty decent.

ps. To add to the topic: I'm rereading the X-Wing series.
Attachments:
Post edited June 06, 2023 by real.geizterfahr
A some a Finnish book about IT startups in Silicon Valley around 2000.
My free translation. Start Up, Stories of Silicon Valley in California by Minna Ruckenstein.
neumi5694: First novel of the new Thrawn series.
real.geizterfahr: Is it any good? I was a huge fan of Star Wars books in the first half of the 90s. I especially loved the original Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn.
The original trilogy was great, yes. I also liked the later books about Thrawns Hand and the one about his story within the empire.

This one is quite ok. It's about Thrawns early days in the Chiss ascendancy, how he dealt with pirates and always was one step away from getting kicked out of the military by politicians. Later in the book the story where he first meets Anikin Skywalker is partially told again, but this time from Thrawns perspective.

As usual, Timothy Zahn is a little too proud of his genius (I also read a couple of non Star Wars books, it's always the same with him :)). When he has a good idea or inspiration, he tends to focus on that and doesn't get tired to talk about it. And despite him repeating over and over that Thrawns has absolutely no sense for politics, the character seems to know a lot how all these things work, also the politics of foreign cultures. He just suffers from plot blindness when he himself is involved.

He's depicted a lot like Sherlock Holmes in the later TV series and original books. A genius with a good heart, but with very bad social skills and no interest in blending in, who has friends in higher positions who know how good he is and protect him from the consequences of his actions.
Post edited June 06, 2023 by neumi5694
I started reading In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust. I like it, it is famous book. I wrote essay about it in college Thanks to the expert essay writing services EssayShark I finished it fast and at high level. It is my favorite writing service, they have pro team and competitive prices. Useful tool for grammar check and proofreading. Such services are great option for students.
Post edited June 16, 2023 by tonnyys
I just finished Name of the Wind, by Rothfuss. Really good story within a story. Next up is the sequel if I find it at Half Price Books tonight. Otherwise it'll be The Hero Code, by Admiral William McRaven.
tonnyys: I started reading In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust. I like it, it is famous book.
Just perusing Oppenheimer's new biography a couple of months ago. It seemed that these books interested him very strongly in his youth.

Get back if you can when you are done with the first book. I still did not dare to start that path...
Post edited June 15, 2023 by Carradice