It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm reading Made for You by Melissa Marr, which seem to be quite an interesting mystery book
Metro 2033 - loved the games so thought I'd give the book I go - really good so far...
Post edited May 15, 2017 by heartburnron
finished "Blood of Elves", the story line is good, I just wanted it to have more battle scenes like the short story books
jadeblackhawk: Getting ready to start the fourth book in the Alex Verus series. I'm finding it hard to not sit down with all the ones left and not move until I'm done. Fantastic series. Wish I had discovered it sooner, for me it's right up there with Kevin Hearne and Jim Butcher.

edit to say it's written by Benedict Jacka
Nice that you like it. The series came very recommended in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, in the same vein of The Dresden Files. However, I have read the first book of both and, while I finished them, I did not feel compelled to go on. Do things change in the second books or is it more of the same?
"Das Schiff" by Andreas Brandhorst
I'm reading My Sister Rosa by Justine Larbalestier and it's quite interesting reading about child sociopath
jadeblackhawk: Getting ready to start the fourth book in the Alex Verus series. I'm finding it hard to not sit down with all the ones left and not move until I'm done. Fantastic series. Wish I had discovered it sooner, for me it's right up there with Kevin Hearne and Jim Butcher.

edit to say it's written by Benedict Jacka
Carradice: Nice that you like it. The series came very recommended in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, in the same vein of The Dresden Files. However, I have read the first book of both and, while I finished them, I did not feel compelled to go on. Do things change in the second books or is it more of the same?
More of the same what? Epic battles, snarky comments, solving mysteries, and getting out of tight situations using your brain? Then, yeah. I guess they're not for you.
Reading up on history and having a blast on 4chan ^^
Books I recently finished

Infection, Book 1 of LZR-1143 Series by Byan James
Zombie Apocalypse story, I hated it and was rooting for the zombies the whole way. Not totally unreadable but not worth it at the end. Very stupid cliffhanger at the end but I'm not even remotely tempted to read the 2nd book.

Among The Dead and Dying, also book 1 of a series by A. R. Wise
Post Zombie Apocalypse Story. hundreds or thousands of years after a zombie apocalypse humanity lives like in the middle age in walled cities to protect themselves against the zombies. This one is very good, I'll be starting the second one this week.

Currently reading:
Origins, book 1 of the Zombie Games series by Kristen Middleton
Another zombie apocalypse. Not as good as the preceding one but seems good enough to be a page turner: I was gonna say I just started it but I'm already at the 16th chapter.

I think I got them all for free on Kobo and they're probably free on Amazon too, ebook store like to try to hook their clients in by offering the first book of a series for free. At that price it's easy to take a chance.
finished the 4th witcher book "Time of Contempt" by Andrzej Sapkowski, enjoyed it much more than "Blood of Elves", all hells broke lose when Tissaia removed the anti-magic barrier:)
Just finished "Death Metal Epic" by Dean Swinford. Excellent, especially if you're into death/black metal and the "music is life" thing. It's fiction, but a very good story. The next book, "Goat Song Sacrifice" should be arriving in my mailbox tomorrow.
"A servant of Satan" by Louis Berard

No idea what it's about, but I liked the cover. Seems to be something about a master criminal or something
I recently finished with a study manual for a very tough test, but I won't count that. Now that I'm done with that I started The Burning Land by Bernard Cornwell. It's great historical fiction that focuses on England in the time of Alfred the Great. It's actually a series of I forget how many books-maybe five?
I've just finished Azar Gat "War in human civilization".
Very interesting book dealing with war from hunter-gatherer societies until the present. The first 200 or so pages were especially interesting for me because they include a detailed discussion of the motivation for war based on evolutionary theory and on observations about extant hunter-gatherer populations. Fascinating stuff.
The next section about war after the advent of agriculture was also highly interesting, deals with topics like domestication of horses, the advantages of pastoralists against sedentary societies (steppe nomads!), city states, empires and much more.
The last 250 pages or so which dealt with the last few centuries were somewhat less interesting imo, but still good.
On the whole, very recommended. Just be prepared that it might shatter some illusions about the human condition, it's fascinating (especially how the evolutionary logic is explained), but quite disturbing at times.
Dust, the final book in the Silo trilogy from Hugh Howey.

After that, not sure where I'm headed. Another trip to Half Price Books on Saturday stocked up our library with new stuff so there are several more to choose from.