It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

patrikc:
I didn't know they were from the same city, I had to look it up: Bristol.

"Doctor Pressure" is a nice mashup, seems obvious it should sound like that :).

I guess a lot of electronic music is not that different from mashups and I like listening to the full tracks sampled. Not quite Bristol but I thought of Mr Scruff - Get a Move On which is a mix of Moondog's "Bird's Lament", vocals from T Bone Walker - Hypin' Woman Blues and trumpet/bass from... something else. I read in an interview somewhere that "Get a Move On" was the main inspiration for Parov Stelar, who I first encountered in the Beatbuddy Soundtrack. Parov Stelar's Beatbuddy Swing samples from the 1938 version of John Kirby - Rehearsin' for a nervous breakdown.

Also recently found Mute Beat - Still Echo.
Post edited January 09, 2022 by joveian
I guess it's down memory lane again...
White Chalk is still my favourite PJ Harvey song to this day.
Polly is a native of Dorset and if you're not familiar with the area, then some of the lyrics might not be that clear.
I think of White Chalk as a complex song, about roots, connections and the fleeting nature of life. It's hauntingly beautiful, but also bleak.

In the late 80s, Polly moved to Bristol where she met John Parish of Automatic Dlamini. They became friends and long-term collaborators.

A few years ago, Parish worked with Aldous Harding on the album Party, which was recorded in Bristol.
Horizon
The lady in white clothes is none other than her mother, Lorina Harding:
The Promise

For a change of pace and style...
Black is the Colour by Nina Simone (Cover by Kizzy Crawford)
Deifio

Kiss Me Again - Cover by Tia Kalmaru.
This is Tia's rendition of a Welsh lullaby called Suo Gân.

And to wrap it up...
Manic Street Preachers - Motorcycle Emptiness
Post edited January 10, 2022 by patrikc
joveian:
Bristol, although mostly known for trip hop, has (or at least used to have) a vibrant scene, right up there with London, Birmingham or Greater Manchester.
Electronic is one of my favourites types of music - it is extremely rich and encompasses so many genres and subgenres, that it would take a while to discover them all.

Mr Scruff's piece reminded me of electrotango, more specifically of Gotan Project and Bajofondo.
Gotan started with Eduardo Makaroff's dream of making tango more accessible to younger audiences. So he left Argentina for Paris, which is where the project was born. They have a lot of great songs, but I'll choose two in order to keep it brief. The voice is that of Cristina Vilallonga:
Vuelvo al Sur which is based on Astor Piazzola y Roberto Goyeneche - Vuelvo al Sur
And Santa Maria (del Buen Ayre)

Bajofondo is a collective of artists from Argentina and Uruguay, led by Gustavo Santaolalla.
The Last of Us fans should be familiar with his name.
Santaolalla also composed the music for the 2004 movie Motorcycle Diaries - De Ushuaia a La Quiaca.
Even though they incorporate tango, I believe Bajofondo is more fusion than electrotango - they're experts at mixing multiple genres and ending up with a high-quality product. For example, Mar dulce was a fantastic album with an impressive line-up - it's definitely worth a listen. If I'm to single out a guest artist, then I would go for Mala Rodríguez - I love her voice - Con los ojos de Engañá
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ak349E-evfE
Here with Julieta Venegas. Eres para Mí is Julieta's creation (in conjuction with Ana Tijoux), but midway through Mala uses an excerpt from her own work. This was not the first time she made use of elements from the same song (called Déjame Entrá https://youtube.com/watch?v=WgQRUBDU7S8) in a collaboration:
El Anden with Bajofondo, as it appeared on Mar dulce.

And Parov Stelar made me think of Boogie Belgique - electro swing at its finest, in my opinion. For a while, I used to have Volta on repeat on my way to work.
Post edited January 10, 2022 by patrikc
Postmodern Jukebox feat. Leah Zeger - Sunflower (Post Malone bossa nova cover)
Risk of Rain 2

The Rain Formerly Known as Purple

btw there is a free download on Chris Christodoulou's page:

Gospels of the Flood - The Audio Drama
Post edited January 11, 2022 by Arundir
Hania Rani - Live from Studio S2
Post edited January 11, 2022 by patrikc
Dystopia - A Synthwave Mix
Booze & Glory - "Trouble Free"
Carpenter Brut - Paradise Warfare
patrikc: I guess it's down memory lane again...
White Chalk is still my favourite PJ Harvey song to this day.
Polly is a native of Dorset and if you're not familiar with the area, then some of the lyrics might not be that clear.
I think of White Chalk as a complex song, about roots, connections and the fleeting nature of life. It's hauntingly beautiful, but also bleak.

In the late 80s, Polly moved to Bristol where she met John Parish of Automatic Dlamini. They became friends and long-term collaborators.

A few years ago, Parish worked with Aldous Harding on the album Party, which was recorded in Bristol.
Horizon
The lady in white clothes is none other than her mother, Lorina Harding:
The Promise
I love PJ. Whole White Chalk album is amazing piece of work. And so deep. Grow Grow Grow might be my favorite on it. Also thanks for the info, I might check Parish's work.

Primus - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
Post edited January 12, 2022 by frost0
patrikc:
I hadn't heard of Gotan Project or Bajofondo but they are both great. Too bad they aren't on Bandcamp :(, although it looks like 7digital has Gotan Project (at least here in the US, 7digital is frustratingly regional, also not all in FLAC; I guess Bajofondo is Universal and Sony published which I try to avoid). Gustavo Santaolalla's De Ushuaia a La Quiaca is really excellent. The non-electro tango is great too :).

I see Gotan Project has an album of remixes by the ZZK crew (plus a few others I hadn't heard of), La Revancha En Cumbia. I guess they predate ZZK and may have been a major inspiration. Chancha Via Circuito and Tremor are two of my favorites. I discovered accidently that Tremor's Terminal goes amazingly well with a number of different game trailers. Any game developer aiming for a best-ever soundtrack should beg them to do a game soundtrack.

There is also the techno-mariachi of the Guacamelee soundtrack, though I don't think I've heard any from Mexico. If anyone happens to have any indie-label (ideally on Bandcamp, electronic or not) tango, mariachi, or flamenco recommendations or anything with spanish (or similar sounding) guitar or steel pan, that is my musical wish list at the moment. I was happy to hear the handpan in the nice Quern soundtrack.

There is a Lulu Rouge mix of Black is the Color, although the Nina Simone part is fairly short at the beginning (but exellent) and I'm meh about the rest. I learned in an interview with Lulu Rouge that Nina Simone had wanted to be a concert pianist but was prevented by racism. She really didn't like singing all that much but still managed to become one of the most well known vocalists ever. I love Lulu Rouge's Will He Come based on her Will I Find My Love Today.

Hania Rani is excellent also, thanks! Like a somewhat more conventional Max Richter.

I like this one too :).
Post edited January 12, 2022 by joveian
joveian: I like this one too :).
:)
Iron Savior: Heavy Metal Never Dies
Post edited January 12, 2022 by Agent-94
Freestylers - Broadcast Channel
Im the only one lmao