It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

YT gothic synthwave stream.
FLOW-Hero(Kibo no Uta) after it got stuck in my head after recently watching DBZ-Battle of Gods.
Post edited June 29, 2021 by oldgamebuff42
Agalloch - Our Fortress Is Burning...
The so-called solid version, since on the album it is separated into three distinct pieces (Part I, Part II: Bloodbirds and Part III: The Grain)
It's that time of year again when I find refuge in their music. I really miss Agalloch...

I have to say I am the type of person with an eclectic taste in music (I sometimes question myself regarding this), it has always been an essential part of my life, but nothing comes even close to this. I get the feeling Black Lake Niðstång it is out of this world beautiful. Although the music provides the bulk of the emotions, the lyrics are just as impressive, if not even more. The second verse (starting around 7:24) is without a doubt the most powerful I have ever heard. An epic tale of gods that perfectly applies to humans.

I would also like to mention there is a quest called The Nithing in The Witcher 3, a rather short one that takes place in Skellige. I found this to be one of those moments that made me take a break and contemplate on the human nature. I don't know how the devs look at it or what their intentions were, I was sat there asking myself whether or not I should go ahead with it, what is the best outcome (if there is even a good outcome to speak of), which is the lesser evil, who am I to take such a decision, etc. And as I was approaching the pole, I suddenly remembered Agalloch's song.
Post edited July 02, 2021 by patrikc
patrikc: Agalloch - Our Fortress Is Burning...
The so-called solid version, since on the album it is separated into three distinct pieces (Part I, Part II: Bloodbirds and Part III: The Grain)
It's that time of year again when I find refuge in their music. I really miss Agalloch...
Never heard of this band before. I am not really into black metal, but I liked this. Their post/ambient sound is great. I will listen to more of their stuff.

Isis - Garden of Light
patrikc: Agalloch - Our Fortress Is Burning...
frost0: Never heard of this band before. I am not really into black metal, but I liked this. Their post/ambient sound is great. I will listen to more of their stuff.

Isis - Garden of Light
I could say I never was a metal (especially black) fan. I like to think of Agalloch as more than a metal band. Perhaps not on the same level of exploration as Ulver, but diverse in their own right.
I remember discovering their music more than a decade ago and I have to say it was an exciting journey. All the way from the late 90s demos and first album (Pale Folklore) to The Serpent & the Sphere (2014). Every one of their works has a unique aspect to it.
Not only all of their five albums are outstanding, but also their EPs, singles, collaborations and so on.

I'll leave here a few more...
The White is probably my favourite Agalloch work from top to bottom. Strong folk and ambient influences. It goes hand in hand with a great movie: The Wicker Man (1973). From excerpts being used to the titles themselves. I am difficult to impress, especially when it comes to music, but The White is in a league of its own. It is melancholic, tribal, divine but also of this earth, poetic, unsettling at times but also very peaceful, a tribute to nature... I understand it is not for everyone, some long time Agalloch fans see it as basic composition. To me it is so much more than that.
This here is the 2014 split with Finnish neofolk band Nest. That's how I see Agalloch, as in The Wolves of Timberline.
Nebelmeer came up on a 2010 atmospheric/neofolk/metal compilation. Certainly different, experimental. I liked it.
I don't often appreciate covers, but I find Agalloch's take on Kneel to the Cross superior to the original by Sol Invictus. That's down to personal preference, of course. I base my judgment mainly on John's vocals and the overall balanced pace of this interpretation. It is more emotional to me as I find John Haughm more expressive than Tony Wakeford. Definitely one of my favourite songs.
For Faustian Echoes you need a special kind of mood. It clocks in at over 21 minutes and it is definitely a return to their black metal roots.

Isis brought back memories of God is an Astronaut for some reason.
All is Violent, All is Bright
Post edited July 04, 2021 by patrikc
"Excretion of Mortality" by Cerebral Rot
https://listen.20buckspin.com/album/excretion-of-mortality

Description on the Bandcamp page:
"
Soaked in the swamp of radioactive sewage, Cerebral Rot’s tumor like growth on ‘Excretion Of Mortality’ bludgeons with a hammering heaviness that few can manage or survive. A methodical focus on attaining maximum barbarism through every aspect of the production, from the meaty, dripping guitars to the immense rhythm section and Schwab’s nuclear travesty vocals, to the deceptively straightforward bludgeoning of the songs, exposes a scalpel-like cutting precision to this seemingly base display of horrid malevolence.
"

I could not have put it any better myself. I like the atmopsheric muddy dread the music creates.

I watched a documentary on Chuck Schuldiner last night, and I'm in a big mood for Death Metal.
Since I mentioned The White EP (remastered) earlier, I currently have Where Shade Once Was on repeat. It's been years since I last listened and I haven't enough words to describe the beauty in it... Music, lyrics and vocals in perfect harmony.

I don't even know how to refer to Ulver anymore, experimental band? All I know is I like their work.
One Last Dance
They're still working with London-based label House of Mythology. And drawing comparisons to Depeche Mode and A-ha.
Post edited July 04, 2021 by patrikc
patrikc: Since I mentioned The White EP (remastered) earlier, I currently have Where Shade Once Was on repeat. It's been years since I last listened and I haven't enough words to describe the beauty in it... Music, lyrics and vocals in perfect harmony.
Thanks, you have opened a whole new rabbit hole for me to jump in with Agalloch.

God is an Astronaut and Ulver are good bands.

But for now, some dark jazz.

Bohren & der Club of Gore - Nightwolf
frost0: Thanks, you have opened a whole new rabbit hole for me to jump in with Agalloch.

God is an Astronaut and Ulver are good bands.

But for now, some dark jazz.

Bohren & der Club of Gore - Nightwolf
Through Constant Fear I got to know Bohren & der Club of Gore, some time ago. It used to accompany me on my walks.

Something else that takes me back...
Rome - Les îles noires. Nos chants perdus was and still is a great album.
Post edited July 05, 2021 by patrikc
Hel - Eldsjal
Post edited July 05, 2021 by PainOfSalvation
Klaus Schulze - Mirage
Dee Montero - Aria (Ambient Mix)
Clock Tower: The First Fear - Don't Cry, Jennifer

..Was watching a video earlier talking about Clock Tower 3 and some of the music for the video was also some of the previous games.. Had to loop this one for a good while off and on today. Just my mood.
Gowan - A Criminal Mind
Noir by Callisto, the most underappreciated post-metal album and post-metal band of all time (even though track one is mislabeled; it should be "Wormwood")