It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
Why is GOG using the pirate icon in the announcements?-)
Attachments:
pirate.png (18 Kb)
shmerl: Why is GOG using the pirate icon in the announcements?-)
You need to allow the gog-icons font.
Maybe something's awry with the character encoding? In my browser I see this (see attachment).
Attachments:
GhostwriterDoF: Using Explorer 11 on a Win 7 64bit system.
I had the same problem with Firefox. Just worked this last time I tried it though.
VanishedOne: Maybe something's awry with the character encoding? In my browser I see this (see attachment).
I see now, it's an insecure linking restriction in Firefox. When I open the page in HTTPS it's OK, but when in HTTP it produces the pirate glyph (that's because I have HTTPS everywhere enabled for GOG).

GOG should really fix their HTTPS mess.
Post edited September 03, 2014 by shmerl
The wishlist no longer has prices beside each title or an indicator of which are discounted. That makes it a very sluggish alternative to using my browser's Bookmarks menu. Taking away the wishlist's only advantage means I won't use it any more, which means fewer sales. I don't see the benefit.

The "Last Chance Special" page is 404-Not-Found. Why is that? Why can't we look at the list of what titles were removed and any discussion of it? Please put it back. It feels like you're censoring or hiding something.
I contacted Support about the broken screenshot/video area of the game pages experienced under Safari 5.1.9 (see attachment). I also noticed this occurs on the Android browser (KitKat). So much for a better mobile experience. Both my desktop and mobile experience have been degraded.
Attachments:
CrowTRobo: I contacted Support about the broken screenshot/video area of the game pages experienced under Safari 5.1.9 (see attachment). I also noticed this occurs on the Android browser (KitKat). So much for a better mobile experience. Both my desktop and mobile experience have been degraded.
Wait, that's kinda hilarious. They make it look mobile, but it doesn't work with tablets that well?
high rated
I do not like the new layout.
Finding games and the way they are presented is awkward and feels like i am not seeing all the information. Feels a bit metro like and cumbersome, similar to the users comment that it feels like you are hiding something.
Why is it so hard to find the list of new games and so on, the show more option is frustrating, why cant i see a complete list on the one window.
The Wishlist games does not show up when you are looking at games, like previously with the filled in heart. So you cannot be sure if its already on your wishlist.
When going to my wishlist, I do not get a total price list and the running prices against each game and the ability to select games that i want to add to the shopping cart so i can purchase them.
When looking at a games profile, I find myself looking all over the place to find out key details, like who the publisher is and what type of game it is i.e adventure, action. I am expecting these details to be above the images of the game where it seems more logical.
I do not like the shopping cart trying to second guess my Operating System and then suggesting I do not know what i am doing and that the game wont work on this operating system. Its not useful. I use a different OS all the time, it does not mean the one i am purchasing the game with is the one i am playing the game on.

Also the movies, I do not want the movies mixing with the games content. Im only interested in the games. It should be a choice to go to the movies section. It just makes the looking for games more work.
Im not totally sure why you would add movies to the site to begin with. Its a bit distracting from the core product.
Post edited September 04, 2014 by mskinner
CrowTRobo: I contacted Support about the broken screenshot/video area of the game pages experienced under Safari 5.1.9 (see attachment). I also noticed this occurs on the Android browser (KitKat). So much for a better mobile experience. Both my desktop and mobile experience have been degraded.
Darvond: Wait, that's kinda hilarious. They make it look mobile, but it doesn't work with tablets that well?
It works on my Nexus 7. In both Chrome and naked browser.
I feel like there is maybe excessive amounts of negativity directed at gog for their site redesign. and sure, a good lot of it is surely deserved. I don't know why they would want to suck all the colour out of their site. other popular digital distributors have a design that uses mostly one colour, but those others have always had colour thrown in with it. and when you're mostly one colour, any colour that you do have really pops quite a bit. basically always looked to me like those other digital distributors were styled after that box nyz theme, which looks awesome. and it has plenty of colour in it.

anyway I don't have as many problems with the new layout as others have mentioned, though I certainly have agreed with many points. one thing I really liked was the way they added colour back into the main page. I thought that was brilliant. and I've already mentioned as much but I definitely think the new game pages look better aside from agreeing with the points about boxes and the way that the text of the reviews all blends together. but other than that, I really like the new pages. I like that the site has a proper footer. so there's definitely some good points. it's not just a total reduction in the site.
mskinner: I do not like the new layout.
Finding games and the way they are presented is awkward and feels like i am not seeing all the information. Feels a bit metro like and cumbersome, similar to the users comment that it feels like you are hiding something.
Why is it so hard to find the list of new games and so on, the show more option is frustrating, why cant i see a complete list on the one window.
The Wishlist games does not show up when you are looking at games, like previously with the filled in heart. So you cannot be sure if its already on your wishlist.
When going to my wishlist, I do not get a total price list and the running prices against each game and the ability to select games that i want to add to the shopping cart so i can purchase them.
When looking at a games profile, I find myself looking all over the place to find out key details, like who the publisher is and what type of game it is i.e adventure, action. I am expecting these details to be above the images of the game where it seems more logical.
I do not like the shopping cart trying to second guess my Operating System and then suggesting I do not know what i am doing and that the game wont work on this operating system. Its not useful. I use a different OS all the time, it does not mean the one i am purchasing the game with is the one i am playing the game on.

Also the movies, I do not want the movies mixing with the games content. Im only interested in the games. It should be a choice to go to the movies section. It just makes the looking for games more work.
Im not totally sure why you would add movies to the site to begin with. Its a bit distracting from the core product.
Nice critique and rightly deserved by gog and I agree with your assessment especially about the game profile page - those are really badly designed and not overseable since all the important information is thrown all over the place.
Post edited September 04, 2014 by Matruchus
I've visited the site a couple times now with the new layout and I do agree mixing movies in with everything seems clunky. Maybe they could still advertise movie related news under the headlines section, but don't mix movies with the lists of bestselling stuff and stuff on sale. Make it so that when you click the "Movies" link at the top of the page it's basically a separate section of the website with all the lists etc pertaining to movies. Seeing movies mixed in with games in the same list doesn't make sense to me.

I actually don't mind GOG selling movies, I'm willing to see how it goes and find out what kind of stuff they are able to get, but having them be so side by side is just odd. Advertise it for those who are interested and put everything else related to movies in a totally separate area.

Like right now in the "On Sale" list there are movies and games listed. The movies say "MOVIE" in very light grey below the title and it's very hard to read. They sort of blend into the games listed around them I think. So either separate the movies on sale from the games on sale, or instead of light grey have the "MOVIES" tag be black and bold and clearly showing that a title is a movie and not a game.

They do need to put color back into their logo. The flat grey has it's place, but everywhere all the time? Why not add color here and there, or have the option to change the color to what you want when you are logged in? The Outlook webmail service has that. You can select what color you want the bar across the top to be. GOG could benefit from something similar.

That said, functionally speaking I like the bar across the top and footer across the bottom. I think they add something to the site.

The thing I wish they would change most right now is how screenshots are viewed. Yeah you can click on one and it appears larger in a new window, but you should be able to keep scrolling through the rest of the screenshots once you are in the larger window. Right now it seems you have to select each screenshot individually to look at it larger, which is annoying. I am viewing GOG with Firefox.
Post edited September 04, 2014 by WalterwickJack
Can we have the old store search form please?
The new one (button) sucks dwarf cock!
high rated
The new dull copycat look, the loss of so many games, and the lackluster recent releases. GOG has gone from the happy place I looked forward to visiting every morning to just depressing me every morning. I guess I need to change my visiting schedule now. :(