It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
rtcvb32: Doesn't matter. Forcing everyone to use a bulky, and possibly buggy Tablet interface vs having the site recognize you're using a tablet and giving you an easier UI is unacceptable. The site should supply BOTH, not give you the weaker of the two that happens to be a little easier for touch based technology that's heavily imprecise (which is why everything needs to be so big).
timppu: While I don't agree that the current design is somehow mobile-friendly and desktop-hostile (IMHO it is the other way around, as the big menus are more of a problem on a lower resolution tablets, and the "hovering the mouse on menus" just doesn't work on mobiles), I agree that they could cover both, separately if needed. As long as the mobile version still allows all the same things as the desktop version; many web pages have heavily reduced functionality on their mobile versions, which is something I don't want. I also dislike on mobile sites that they don't usually allow me to freely zoom in and out of the page, in order to see some small text better on a smaller screen. Hence I still sometimes opt for desktop sites even on mobile devices.

As far as I am concerned, they could have simply changed the hovering menus to clickable menus, and maybe make the login screen simpler. That would have been perfectly fine at least for me for both mobile and desktop use, without having to make two separate designs.

Also as someone pointed out, it appears the site does seem different on desktops and lower resolution phones, e.g. the menus appear on the left on phones. Apparently I still get a desktop version of the site on my tablet, as the menus are on top. Anyway, I would prefer either one uniform design which works fine for both (see above), or let me select which kind of design I want to see. EDIT: Ok I just realized I also get the menus on the side (originally hidden) if I just tilt the tablet 90 degrees to be upright (portrait?). In "landscape" mode, it shows the page similarly as on a desktop, with menus always visible on the top (not hidden).

I find it curious though so many people say now that the old design was perfect, "don't fix what is not broken" and "they should hire some actual web designers". Earlier I recall hearing only complaints about the old site (and I complained too about the hovering menus, how hard it is to log out on mobile devices).

Writing this on my tablet as it was easier to take this to my bed while drinking morning coffee. I have the keyboard docking station attached, though.
I would imagine the experience is dictated by media queries which would make it resolution dependent. It's not an ideal way to adjust the user experience with wild pixel density differences, but at this point it's damn near impossible to really know what someone is using. User agents lie, and mobile devices could be 5", 7", 10". DT's could be 16:9 or 4:3 all with different pixel densities, and resolution width is about as close as anyone can come reliably to a measurement for breaking down layout changes. Fall below a pixel width threshold, and different CSS kicks in. Grid cells stack, and content can be allocated more space in screen percentage.

There are some hard choices to make, especially if you don't know if that 800px width is a low res PC, a reduced size browser, an old phone in landscape, or 5" tablet in portrait. The reality is devices and sizes are so wildly varied now, that creating a mobile only site isn't all that viable. You have to make it responsive anyway, and then dev and maintain a separate DT version. And for that you would then be forced to shoot for 960px content which then gets stuck in the middle wasting lots of space on modern monitors, but you can't make 1920x1080, because not everyone has a 1080p resolution monitor, and nobody wants to scroll sideways. At that point you are a making compromises about who you are serving. Sure the guy that has an old 1024x768 monitor thinks his experience is perfect and it should never, ever change, but most of the rest of us are left staring at all that wasted space on our nice beautiful monitors, which is how the old site mostly behaved, baring a couple of hacks added in.

The old site had been kicked into shape over time, and just about reached it's limit. Right now I think people are comparing a product in their memory that had been polished over years, to a brand new one they can physically pick for flaws. I don't think the old one was as perfect as its memory. People were complaining about it a lot, and for good reason at times - it wasn't perfect until it disappeared.In fact it was a bloody nightmare to actually try and do any shopping on.

A massive vertical list of 800 tiny icons getting periodically AJAX'ed in was not shopper friendly. This is a store, and until a few days ago, you couldn't even window shop. Now you can. I think there are some bugs(mobile doesn't work all that seamlessly), and some fair criticisms floating around, but I don't think "if it ain't broke," is one of them since the site was broken, and not future proof in the slightest. "I don't use mobile" is also not a valid criticism when GOG isn't catering to one or two individuals, but trying to sell to a world of varied devices.

I think the new site has some decent potential if given a little time to evolve, and whenever the next redesign rolls around, I'm sure people will be wanting it back too.
One thing I miss from the previous interface is the ability to wishlist a game and view which games are wishlisted from the browsing screens. Now you can only add to cart from the browsing screens and to wishlist a game you need click through to game's description page. Is it possible to add back in a wishlist widget to the game browsing screen?

Thanks,

JackalStyx
EnforcerSunWoo: Well, now there are missing entries from my gifted list... Things are just breaking left and right over here.
Chamb: This issue was resolved yesterday - we will look into your case and see if there is anything missing.
I just now filled out a support ticket, but mine is that way too. Shows none that were redeemed and I think some that weren't redeemed are missing as well (though I didn't call my brother to verify if he finally redeemed those or not, but it's been years so I doubt it).
jackalstyx: One thing I miss from the previous interface is the ability to wishlist a game and view which games are wishlisted from the browsing screens. Now you can only add to cart from the browsing screens and to wishlist a game you need click through to game's description page. Is it possible to add back in a wishlist widget to the game browsing screen?

Thanks,

JackalStyx
For my view, there's a "Wishlist it" button next to the social media crap buttons under the add to cart section. So it's there, just a little farther away from the cart button.
Matruchus: Never saw them before at least not under buy button. Its really annoying.
JudasIscariot: Yeah, the FB link was always under the buy button :) If you have Ghostery you can easily block those :)
As a note, I have Ghostery and it's set to block social media buttons. It doesn't block the ones on your redesigned site. Possibly it will do so again in a future update.
Post edited August 30, 2014 by PaladinWay
it changes back to euro everytime i visit the site after browser restart. pretty annoying -_-
Is there a bug with the "Bestselling" view of the store pages? For example, if I check Genre:Adventures, it displays 188 titles in both the alphabetical and the bestselling view - however, while it's 188 unique titles in alphabetical order, there are 21 repeats in the bestselling view (and consequently, 21 other titles never show up). All the repeats are of titles from the first page, showing up again on page 2, 3 or 4.

Also, Syberia appears to have an unannounced 25% discount that only shows up on the game card, not the store view.

Edit: Oh, is that a "complete the series" discount? Only seems to show up as an individual game discount when I'm logged in (I own Syberia 2) - logged out it shows full price for the individual game, but 25% off in the "buy the series" widget. Still seems kinda weird how it's handled though.
Post edited August 30, 2014 by Zeyes
Zeyes: Is there a bug with the "Bestselling" view of the store pages? For example, if I check Genre:Adventures, it displays 188 titles in both the alphabetical and the bestselling view - however, while it's 188 unique titles in alphabetical order, there are 21 repeats in the bestselling view (and consequently, 21 other titles never show up). All the repeats are of titles from the first page, showing up again on page 2, 3 or 4.

Also, Syberia appears to have an unannounced 25% discount that only shows up on the game card, not the store view.
There seems to be a few sales related bugs. Tropico 3 has been at a 14% discount since yesterday. I mentioned it to support, but nothing happened... so I guess anything with these pricing mistakes are fair game. There might be more, but who really wants to check each and every game card in the catalog.
EnforcerSunWoo: There seems to be a few sales related bugs. Tropico 3 has been at a 14% discount since yesterday. I mentioned it to support, but nothing happened... so I guess anything with these pricing mistakes are fair game. There might be more, but who really wants to check each and every game card in the catalog.
It does? I don't see it. Are you, perhaps, referring to the series' discount?
EnforcerSunWoo: There seems to be a few sales related bugs. Tropico 3 has been at a 14% discount since yesterday. I mentioned it to support, but nothing happened... so I guess anything with these pricing mistakes are fair game. There might be more, but who really wants to check each and every game card in the catalog.
there are not bugs, it's just a discount if you complete the whole serie.

Syberia serie = around 25% discount
Tropico serie = around 15% discount

those discounts are there since quite some time now
Post edited August 30, 2014 by DyNaer
DyNaer: there are not bugs, it's just a discount if you complete the whole serie.

Syberia serie = around 25% discount
Tropico serie = around 15% discount

those discounts are there since quite some time now
Yeah, appears to be the case. I've never seen it or had it come up before though.
EnforcerSunWoo: Yeah, appears to be the case. I've never seen it or had it come up before though.
Probably due to the new layout, they are much more visible imho.
Post edited August 30, 2014 by DyNaer
I don't know if someone has found about this but browsing the screenshots in gamecard-page is now handled by swiping left / right on big screenshot. It unfortunately doesn't work logically at the moment, you have to use right mousebutton. This works ok with Opera but Firefox & Palemoon always opens context-menu sametime at least for me.
I did send a support ticket for this, let's see if they could give arrows back or change it to left mousebutton. :)
Chamb: This issue was resolved yesterday - we will look into your case and see if there is anything missing.
PaladinWay: I just now filled out a support ticket, but mine is that way too. Shows none that were redeemed and I think some that weren't redeemed are missing as well (though I didn't call my brother to verify if he finally redeemed those or not, but it's been years so I doubt it).
jackalstyx: One thing I miss from the previous interface is the ability to wishlist a game and view which games are wishlisted from the browsing screens. Now you can only add to cart from the browsing screens and to wishlist a game you need click through to game's description page. Is it possible to add back in a wishlist widget to the game browsing screen?

Thanks,

JackalStyx
PaladinWay: For my view, there's a "Wishlist it" button next to the social media crap buttons under the add to cart section. So it's there, just a little farther away from the cart button.
JudasIscariot: Yeah, the FB link was always under the buy button :) If you have Ghostery you can easily block those :)
PaladinWay: As a note, I have Ghostery and it's set to block social media buttons. It doesn't block the ones on your redesigned site. Possibly it will do so again in a future update.
@PaladinWay -
I found that on the individual game description pages, but I can't find the wishlist feature while browsing a "listing" of games in either the "as grid" or "as list" view. On the previous interface there was a heart icon when viewing you could toggle. Am I just missing something?
Post edited August 30, 2014 by jackalstyx
jackalstyx: @PaladinWay -
I found that on the individual game description pages, but I can't find the wishlist feature while browsing a "listing" of games in either the "as grid" or "as list" view. On the previous interface there was a heart icon when viewing you could toggle. Am I just missing something?
There is no such feature implemented on the new webpage at all. You can recommend this feature for implementation by sending feedback to gog as other people did.
jackalstyx: @PaladinWay -
Matruchus: There is no such feature implemented on the new webpage at all. You can recommend this feature for implementation by sending feedback to gog as other people did.
Thanks, I went ahead and sent this in as a "suggestion" under support.
Overall I like the new interface, I just miss that one function.
I'm also happy they didn't take down the web page for several days for this upgrade, but then I refer to darker times best left to the ages... :)
Did the forum reply alerts get broken too? Someone quoted me in another thread and I only saw it after checking the thread, I got no alert. When the same person quoted me yesterday I did get the alert for it though (in the same thread).