It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
shmerl: [...]

The proper methodology should require either separate designs for desktop and mobile, or adaptable design which adjusts dynamically according to the screen size. Both methods are fine, but "one size fits all" is not!
HypersomniacLive: How true, but it'd appear that it's too late now.
Why late? Design can take in feedback if it's massive. Some opinions can differ (you can't always satisfy every taste), but if the vast majority finds something not comfortable, you can bet something isn't right and insisting "but that's how the design should look like!" is only going to upset users even more.
rtcvb32: noticed how big the buttons are and how big each dropdown menu item is... That's huge... Which only makes sense to use if you're using a tablet...
eiii: The layout doesn't even work on a tablet, at least not on a rather low-res one. The famous menu bar is even more a problem there. You probably need at least HD resolution and landscape mode to render the page properly.
sounds like they missed the mark...

*sigh* I recall a while back. There was something about web design and page design, where some points you just wrote what you needed and trusted the browser to show it correctly. Because character selection, styles, larger/smaller zooming, etc. These were all basically decided by the browser based on how best to present the format... And this is sorta the opposite where it's almost 'you have to view it this way' rather than trusting the user... The only time you forced formatting was when it was times where things would be ugly or not make sense if you didn't; That included how non-breaking spaces   and other features came together like a puzzle.

I'm starting to feel some disappointment with the layout honestly... the previous one was fine, if they needed to add the prices or whatever, add them and leave the rest alone...
EnforcerSunWoo: All I know is that I am getting extremely disgusted by this. At this rate I won't even be able to make the purchase of Freedom Force before it disappears from the catalog.
Well you really can't expect any improvements till monday really its going to be saturday already here in Europe in a few minutes and as much as I know gog does not work on weekends although maybe with this clusterfuck they will.
rtcvb32: edit: I just really noticed how big the buttons are and how big each dropdown menu item is... That's huge... Which only makes sense to use if you're using a tablet...
eiii: The layout doesn't even work on a tablet, at least not on a rather low-res one. The famous menu bar is even more a problem there. You probably need at least HD resolution and landscape mode to render the page properly.
Hehe. +10 for using mobile Firefox :)
EnforcerSunWoo: All I know is that I am getting extremely disgusted by this. At this rate I won't even be able to make the purchase of Freedom Force before it disappears from the catalog.
I can get a copy for you to hold onto in case it fails...

But then the problem with if the vouchers will be valid afterwards comes up again... :(

Course if you are willing to send me the money via-paypal I'll gift it to you... It's a long workaround that likely means I'll be losing money due to transaction fees (50 cents at a time). But I'd probably do this for anyone else too.
Also just noticed that the shopping basket has gone glitchy again - the game picture is not shown anymore and the X to easily remove games from the basket needs to be reimplemented - small stuff but very important for ease of use.
rtcvb32: Which only makes sense to use if you're using a tablet... Are they... making GoG more Phone/Tablet-friendly by making the buttons hard to mix up and everything so big? But they don't sell any games that work on Android....
I do not know what does it have to do with anything whether or not they are selling mobile games. I buy flight tickets with my PC, even though I am not going to fly on my PC, but with an airplane. Similarly, I might want to access GOG forums, or buy GOG games, while using a tablet.

Downloading and playing the games is separate from that. I hardly ever instantly download and play something I've just bought.
Matruchus: Well you really can't expect any improvements till monday really its going to be saturday already here in Europe in a few minutes and as much as I know gog does not work on weekends although maybe with this clusterfuck they will.
Yeah, I had very much expected this to happen with the weekend coming up. Sounds like my luck.
rtcvb32: I can get a copy for you to hold onto in case it fails...

But then the problem with if the vouchers will be valid afterwards comes up again... :(

Course if you are willing to send me the money via-paypal I'll gift it to you... It's a long workaround that likely means I'll be losing money due to transaction fees (50 cents at a time). But I'd probably do this for anyone else too.
Thanks for the offer, but I might be able to make other arrangements for the game.
Post edited August 29, 2014 by EnforcerSunWoo
rtcvb32: Which only makes sense to use if you're using a tablet... Are they... making GoG more Phone/Tablet-friendly by making the buttons hard to mix up and everything so big? But they don't sell any games that work on Android....
timppu: I do not know what does it have to do with anything whether or not they are selling mobile games. I buy flight tickets with my PC, even though I am not going to fly on my PC, but with an airplane. Similarly, I might want to access GOG forums, or buy GOG games, while using a tablet.

Downloading and playing the games is separate from that. I hardly ever instantly download and play something I've just bought.
Doesn't matter. Forcing everyone to use a bulky, and possibly buggy Tablet interface vs having the site recognize you're using a tablet and giving you an easier UI is unacceptable. The site should supply BOTH, not give you the weaker of the two that happens to be a little easier for touch based technology that's heavily imprecise (which is why everything needs to be so big).
rtcvb32: *sigh* I recall a while back. There was something about web design and page design, where some points you just wrote what you needed and trusted the browser to show it correctly.
That has been a long, long while back. :)
Great, now I get no notifications at all about PMs.
HypersomniacLive: Great, now I get no notifications at all about PMs.
That's happening to me all the time.

Otherweise just saw that they removed the social network buttons and the wishlist button on the game pages. They seem to be finally fixing that.
Foxhack: I still want the box art back. ;_;
Yes please! :(
eiii: That has been a long, long while back. :)
Seems we're fluctuating back to a less impressive age... The last 15 years or so, the movies are more about special effects than actual movie content; Curiously enough, so are the games. I honestly would have been happy with SNES level of graphical and audio quality for a huge number of my games.

This means we've lost a lot... Really good writers, ideas, freedom, value in physical goods, general social trust and the golden rule... And as technology gets better, we have sloppier code and sites. Back in 1995 (on my 100Mhz machine when you pulled up internet explorer (or netscape or whatever, i have a preference for Lynx personally) pages loaded instantly, showed their content, and you could move on, limited only by the bandwidth of 1k to 4k a second. But today on my 1Ghz tablet i try to load up GamerCat and it takes like a minute to load and process in order to view a single picture that i'm interested in, and the next/back button i want to click...

Seriously, bad programming currently is the norm :(
Okay, I like what they did with Owned games now. Showing a game as owned and when you mouse over the Owned button turns green and shows you the price if you were to buy it again. Nice.