It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get the full trilogy with a 66% discount or each game for 40% off!

Did you guys take your Dramamine this morning? Looks like you might need it soon: the beloved Descent trilogy is back and it's going to spin you right round right round.

Indeed, after disappearing into the darkness for a while, the series that pioneered six degrees of freedom shooting now finally re-emerges on GOG.com. If for whatever unfortunate reason you are not already acquainted with their ground-breaking 3D brilliance, now is your chance to redeem yourself before anyone finds out: get the entire trilogy in a Pack with a 66% discount or just buy Descent, Descent II and Descent 3 individually for -40% each.

This offer lasts until November 26, 11PM UTC.
SpellSword: If you have not yet played the Descent series, you are missing something special.
amok: Headache, vertigo and nausea?
MarkoH01: I was never asking why XP support has been given up at all. I simply thing "requirements" and "support" re two kind of shoes. That's why I wrote required in caps.
amok: maybe because Microsoft stopped all further support, updates and security updates for XP in 2014? i.e. it is now a "dead" OS. you may as well as "why does gOg not list Amiga OS 3.1 for Wings?" If it is listed in some shape or other, it binds gOg to support it also.
Who cares if MS has given up support on the system? That does not mean that you cannot use the OS anymore. I never understood this argument and I nearly never used security updates anyway so I did not care when they stopped so called "support". But that's a different kind of discussion. If GOG in fact HAS to SUPPORT it just because they are saying it should RUN on the OS my question has already been answered. I just thought those were two different things.
flatiron: If they don't run on linux, I don't care.
Both 1 & 2 play quite nicely on Linux using a source port engine:

http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

Descent 3 can run on Linux using the original Loki port. I haven't done it in a while, but it ran well enough. There's a how-to and a link to the necessary files:

http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=7567
Bought and installed the first one. Still a great game after all these years. I had to do a bit of fiddling to figure how to play it with my Gamepad. Basically it involved launching DOSBOX straight, using the keymapper, and then doing command prompts to launch Descentr.exe. Launching from the shortcut doesn't recognize my Gamepad but using DOSBOX makes the ship's bobbing hyperactive.
Edit: Now if only the shenanigans with Harmony Gold could be resolved and maybe we can start seeing Mechwarrior 2 and Mech Commander here. At least Battletech looks good.
Post edited November 27, 2017 by pmcollectorboy
flatiron: What were those things called?
Well, there was the Forte VFX1, the Virtual IO I-Glasses and a bit later the Sony Glasstron series.
Yeah, the forte. It took them until now to start fiddling with that idea again and everyone thinks it is new. Funny.
Great news, but you forgot to place "WinXP" and "Win95" in the requirements section. I mean I know it's probably implied and everyone knows the Descent series will work with 95/XP (since they came out FOR those OS's(well, and DOS)), but some might get confused and think GOG is selling a Win-7/10-only version. lol.

Descent 1, 2, and Maximum are my all-time favorite series. :) Probably my favorite game of all time.
Post edited November 28, 2017 by BStone
pmcollectorboy: Bought and installed the first one. Still a great game after all these years. I had to do a bit of fiddling to figure how to play it with my Gamepad. Basically it involved launching DOSBOX straight, using the keymapper, and then doing command prompts to launch Descentr.exe. Launching from the shortcut doesn't recognize my Gamepad but using DOSBOX makes the ship's bobbing hyperactive.
Edit: Now if only the shenanigans with Harmony Gold could be resolved and maybe we can start seeing Mechwarrior 2 and Mech Commander here. At least Battletech looks good.
Using DXX-Rebirth you can use a pad out of the box (you'll have to map it in the options of course, you can also set individual deadzones and sensitivity for each axis) and you can also play it at higher resolutionsand 16:9 but maintaining the original textures unfiltered look.
You can also copy your saves from the dosbox installation IIRC if you don't feel like starting over.
Post edited November 28, 2017 by Det_Bullock
Forsaken was a pretty okay Descent clone for its time as well.
All right. Snagged DXX Rebirth from the website. And the new project from the makers of Descent looks great.
Descent 1 and 2 used to be bundled together for $5.99. What the hell.

EDIT: And Descent 2's expansion is still missing? Come on.
Post edited November 28, 2017 by pbaggers
pbaggers: Descent 1 and 2 used to be bundled together for $5.99. What the hell.

EDIT: And Descent 2's expansion is still missing? Come on.
You got Interplayed ;).Cheers
joppo: As much as I love seeing these games come back, I gotta admit decoupling D1 and D2 is another red mark on Interplay's so disappointing sheet. A pity to see this sort of behavior from a company that was the first to dive into the unknown waters of GOG and its DRM-freeness.

I can only hope Interplay be put to rest soon while their catalogue goes to the hands of better consumer-friendly companies like THQ Nordic or CDPR.
Come on dude, you do know the history of new-Interplay don't you? How the company was bought out by Titus, who published famous garbage like Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, and eventually shut down Black Isle Studios despite them being the only profitable part of the company. Splitting Descent is hardly the worst thing they've done.
joppo: As much as I love seeing these games come back, I gotta admit decoupling D1 and D2 is another red mark on Interplay's so disappointing sheet. A pity to see this sort of behavior from a company that was the first to dive into the unknown waters of GOG and its DRM-freeness.

I can only hope Interplay be put to rest soon while their catalogue goes to the hands of better consumer-friendly companies like THQ Nordic or CDPR.
Crosmando: Come on dude, you do know the history of new-Interplay don't you? How the company was bought out by Titus, who published famous garbage like Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, and eventually shut down Black Isle Studios despite them being the only profitable part of the company. Splitting Descent is hardly the worst thing they've done.
Oh, I am aware of that. I just said they have been doing their best in being an awful company for a few years.
Unbundling D1& D2 is a disappointment, but definitely not a surprise. Remember when they jacked up the prices of several GOG games overnight?

New-Interplay makes me even sadder for good old-Interplay which didn't deserve to end like this.
What happened to the $10 bundle they had for the descent series? It's already gone?
StillEarth: What happened to the $10 bundle they had for the descent series? It's already gone?
It's amazing GOG got this back, but putting it in the sale mosaic with an earlier end date was confusing.