It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wishmaster777: I never knew this feature existed until I saw this thread. So, how can I miss something I did not even know it existed. I can not miss it.
Right, you can't. If everything is fine and gets you from place to place (like a horse and buggy pulling a huge motor home vs a town car), hey use what you you like. But for some of us that used different tools and they worked better than what is being offered now, well that is what we are talking about. To each their own.

Personally I am glad I found a extra browser tool/addon called XMD (https://sourceforge.net/projects/xdman/) it plugs into browsers via a addon (which you get from that browsers addon site) and gives features I need such as bandwidth limiting along with pause and resuming. Sure Galaxy can do this, but it is much slower (by a large factor). By using XMD and my browser, it am *almost* back to what I had with GOG downloader. Enough that I am still here buying games. Otherwise I would have left as I do not like Galaxy at all for many reasons. Slow being the largest one. And 2.0 is even worse, they are going backwards not forwards with it.

By the way, if anyone wants to give XMD a try, make sure you add .bin to the watched file types in options. Otherwise you might end up renaming the files (and it doesn't start the process as easy either). It has a lot of great other features as well, and don't have a lot of malware/spyware junk in it like a lot of downloader helpers do.

But hey use what you like. I'm not trying to convince anyone, I am just glad we still have the option of offline installers and tools like XMD. While I would PREFER the return of GOGDownloader, at least we still have said options.
Post edited June 30, 2020 by DBDigital
low rated
FiatLux: Thanks , I suddenly realized how everything in this whole discussion over multiple threads reeks of how GOG had this 'screw you' attitude towards their old/original customer group when they decided to retire the GOG.com Downloader.
GOG is a company, not our families...and like many such companies they care mostly about money and selling people things.

They might have been more idealistic and good intentioned and less profit minded at the start, but those days are likely long gone.

==============

Moonbeam: Bump:)
If I may ask: Why?

Do you honestly think at this point that keeping this thread on "life support" will change things?

It has done next to nothing re: a GOG response(this and the other thread), and that is unlikely to change sadly.

=================

Breja: Thanks, that was really needed.
Despite our disagreements, I agree with this sentiment.
Post edited July 02, 2020 by GameRager
low rated
MarkoH01: Again: every newbie will instinctively click on the BIG BLUE BUTTON - it's just too big to not do so ...
People should(in general) learn to READ said buttons and parts of pages and think a bit more before clicking things.
MarkoH01: Again: every newbie will instinctively click on the BIG BLUE BUTTON - it's just too big to not do so ...
GameRager: People should(in general) learn to READ said buttons and parts of pages and think a bit more before clicking things.
Agreed. Even then they (those who want Galaxy features) would push the BIG BLUE since it says:

"GOG Galaxy keeps your games up to date, provides all multiplayer features, enables cloud saves, makes it easy to install games and more."
low rated
MarkoH01: Agreed.
I know right?

I mean I thought we(as a whole) learned NOT to click on anything in sight back during the pop-ups-galore era.

MarkoH01: Even then they (those who want Galaxy features) would push the BIG BLUE since it says:

"GOG Galaxy keeps your games up to date, provides all multiplayer features, enables cloud saves, makes it easy to install games and more."
Eh, if they want that stuff and only click it to get that stuff(and know there are backup installers and how to get them, but want the galaxy versions solely or for the most part for some reason) then to me that's fine.

At most i'd maybe put a little underlined and bolded line at each galaxy DL page (in the client, etc) that says "Note: Downloading backup installers is recommended to archive drm-free copies of one's games" or something similar to that effect.
Scared the hell out of me. Luckily, I am using LGOGDownloader. Hopefully doesn't affect me....
high rated
Apologies for dredging this thread up. However, seeing as the downloader was a useful tool and we're now expected to use Galaxy for all our download needs, I gave it a chance and installed it. Mostly it just sat there until I upgraded my external storage to grab the remaining drm-free installers - only to find out you cannot sort by purchase date. I thought something so basic was built in and maybe I was overlooking it. Doing some digging I see this feature was omitted in 2.0. I guess I'll be removing Galaxy. FML
high rated
The GOG Downloader was wonderful and we need it back please.
Post edited July 19, 2020 by Moonbeam
foxworks: we're now expected to use Galaxy for all our download needs
Downloading directly from the website using an Internet browser works fine. No Galaxy needed. I used to download (almost) all my GOG games with the Downloader, now I've switched to browser download and I have experienced no problems. With Firefox I can pause and resume downloads, and the speed is as fast as before. I was disappointed at first, but frankly, the only things that have changed are that now I have to manually name the folder where I place the files, and that I have to click each link instead of just "Download all files", which take no more than 30 seconds of my time.
foxworks: However, seeing as the downloader was a useful tool and we're now expected to use Galaxy for all our download needs,
Um... you don't need galaxy, or any downloader tool.
You can just download normally, through the browser. Same way as you would download from any other site. ( :
low rated

The GOG Downloader was wonderful and we need it back please.
With Timboli working on a replacement it's actually not as needed anymore.

============

foxworks: Apologies for dredging this thread up. However, seeing as the downloader was a useful tool and we're now expected to use Galaxy for all our download needs, I gave it a chance and installed it.
A user named Timboli is working on a replacement, actually.
Post edited July 19, 2020 by GameRacer
I appreciate the replies. Granted, there are other ways to grab the installers, however, the downloader was a one-click tool. No need to click on each file to download. I'll likely spend the time to setup gogrepo.py as I have a fair amount to download. cheers!
low rated
foxworks: I appreciate the replies. Granted, there are other ways to grab the installers, however, the downloader was a one-click tool. No need to click on each file to download. I'll likely spend the time to setup gogrepo.py as I have a fair amount to download. cheers!
Timboli's tool is actually based off of gogrepo and will be very easy to use....i'd look into it, as it might be useful to you. :)

(Note: It is still being worked on, but I believe he is close to finishing it)
foxworks: I appreciate the replies. Granted, there are other ways to grab the installers, however, the downloader was a one-click tool. No need to click on each file to download. I'll likely spend the time to setup gogrepo.py as I have a fair amount to download. cheers!
GameRacer: Timboli's tool is actually based off of gogrepo and will be very easy to use....i'd look into it, as it might be useful to you. :)

(Note: It is still being worked on, but I believe he is close to finishing it)
Thanks, I'll take a look into it. Last I saw it was just a file checker but I guess Timboli's expanded on it? Another reason to offload Galaxy, let's take Witcher 3 for example. Galaxy wanted to install the Steam version rather than GOG's version from the GOG bookmark. My blood is boiling. Apologies for my rambling.
low rated
foxworks: Thanks, I'll take a look into it. Last I saw it was just a file checker but I guess Timboli's expanded on it?
Yes, he is (iirc) adding things like quick and easy file downloads and other features. I believe you will need to install the gogrepo code or files or whatnot along with his program, but it will seemingly be very easy for some who liked & desired the old GOG DLer's functionality.

foxworks: Another reason to offload Galaxy, let's take Witcher 3 for example. Galaxy wanted to install the Steam version rather than GOG's version from the GOG bookmark. My blood is boiling. Apologies for my rambling.
Not a problem.

As for that issue, all I can say is: well at least it's not as bad as GOG essentially forcing everyone's old galaxy versions to update to 2.0....to me that was one of the sneakiest things they've ever done.

(Along with other things like removing exes and such from game folders when GOG "upgraded" some games from dosbox to scummVM, thus making it a bit harder to use the games on original hardware if one wanted to do so)
Post edited July 20, 2020 by GameRacer