It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Creators of Ion Maiden decided to release their game under a different name to avoid legal issues with a popular heavy metal band. Ion Fury will now be released on August 15th.

On July 18th the price of Ion Fury will increase to $24.99.
jjstraka34: There is no way the band had any actual chance of winning this case. A play on words is not copyright infringment, nor is there even a scintila of evidence anything in the game is based on Eddie. Is Iron Maiden now the sole proprieter of those words?? Do history textbooks dealing with torture now have to pay residuals to the band?? Ridiculous nonsense, and makes me lose all respect for the band.
It sucks also because every time something like this happens it creates more of a precedent for claiming common phrases and language as intellectual property. Starbucks; that I can see because the brand is now way more well known than the literary character, but everyone knows what the hell an iron maiden is/was. I think 'Ion Maiden' is a delightful turn of phrase that was intended to have nothing to do with the band. Bill and Ted aren't complaining :(
No doubt this has probably been posted somewhere on these forums by someone before, but here it is again.

Again, reading from that alone suggests highly that it was all a legal team/troupe of employees and not anyone in the band themselves that made any of these claims against Voidpoint, 3D Realms and the game in general. While the band may be way out of touch with their fans in other regards, it's clear that whoever was tasked with oversight on their trademark is orbiting a planet not even named when it comes to the dealings of those dwelling on earth.
strange-benhur: why not just call it Atomic Maiden?
Zoidberg: Or better yet: Nukem' Maiden! :D
If duke had a sex change. Maiden Nukem'?
Zoidberg: Or better yet: Nukem' Maiden! :D
Maighstir: If duke had a sex change. Maiden Nukem'?
Duke would never have a sex change
slamdunk: Duke would never have a sex change
Just theoretically.
Maighstir: Just theoretically.
#notmyduke
Maighstir: Just theoretically.
slamdunk: #notmyduke
A daughter? Female clone?

I mean, someone thought up dad of war (and a bunch of people complained), so why not dad Nukem'?
Post edited July 13, 2019 by Maighstir
Dutchess Explodem
jjstraka34: A play on words is not copyright infringment
No, and titles can't be copyrighted in any case. It's about trademarks, not copyright. (Not that there's a good case for trademark infringement either.)
Pretty sure that oaf would just spend their day touching themselves. Once a duke, always a duke. :P
high rated
I'm curious, am I the only one that bothered to look the story up?
It turns out it isn't just the name but name and logo are similar(don't know if this was done on purpose).
Also this is not the only lawsuit concerning this game as this was originally going to be a duke nukem game and not that long before they'd sold the rights to make further duke nukem games.
So not sure whose side i fall on this time, maybe 50/50.

link incase anyone wants it
Post edited July 13, 2019 by Karahandras
low rated
jjstraka34: There is no way the band had any actual chance of winning this case. A play on words is not copyright infringment, nor is there even a scintila of evidence anything in the game is based on Eddie. Is Iron Maiden now the sole proprieter of those words?? Do history textbooks dealing with torture now have to pay residuals to the band?? Ridiculous nonsense, and makes me lose all respect for the band.
It reminds me of how the owners of the Elder Scrolls TM/copyright sued that one guy who was making a game called "scrolls"...as if they had/have a copyright or tm on that word by itself.
agogfan: Dutchess Explodem
Seems like the title of a platformer you might've found sold in the 90s. No doubt with the protagonist being some kind of anthropomorphic animal, because we sure didn't have enough of those at the time.
low rated
If they made more games they'd likely add such or make Duke one of the extremist pc types to sell more units.
Karahandras: I'm curious, am I the only one that bothered to look the story up?
Can't speak for anyone other than myself, but no - you are not.