It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I love GOG, but I do miss physical media and displaying games on my shelf, so discovering this is awesome! I have a few questions.

1. Is there a specific type of printer/printer paper you should use?

2. Is there a certain size to save the picture as?

3. What type of disc should you use?

Thanks.
CallMeNighthawk: covers
The covers were originally designed for the "Standard" DVD cases with the clear plastic outer layer. The issue was/is that the exact dimensions can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. There is a small grey band at the top and bottom of most covers to allow for trim-to-fit situations. The posted cover dimensions are smaller than is required so you would need to find the printing instructions as you need to enlarge the cover image during the printing process.

Here is a link to my very, very, very outdated 2011 printing instructions which may give you a good starting point. Post is about half way down the page. I don't intend to update the info as there are just too many printing variations possible depending on the printer/application used. It's also expensive to buy/burn/print/store CD/Bluray media. It is also wasteful in,depending on the media chosen, you will have lots of wasted free space (small game exe's) or not enough space (large game exe's GB's????) which requires multiple disks for backup. These covers are designed for single disk cases.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/unofficial_dvd_covers_for_gog_com_games/post733

I stopped storing my games on DVD's several years ago and recommend you get a good external hard drive for that purpose. I just save the cover jpg's with my game files as a way to remember the original game box cover. I try to stay as close as possible to the original cover but that's not always possible. Also I like as much game info on the cover image as possible so when I find the game exe years later the saved covers can be very helpful.

Hope this helps??
CallMeNighthawk: I love GOG, but I do miss physical media and displaying games on my shelf, so discovering this is awesome! I have a few questions.

1. Is there a specific type of printer/printer paper you should use?

2. Is there a certain size to save the picture as?

3. What type of disc should you use?

Thanks.
First, i would like to apologize for my english. I'm not good at them.

I can tell from my experience you need to save some time and money to do that. If it's worth it? Idk.

1. I'm using a regular HP Deskjet 2710e printer. Printer is not expensive, but the Ink cartridges for this printer which is HP305 or HP305XL is cost almost the same price for two of them (black and color) like the printer. I recommend to buy one of the originals cartridges and learn how to refill them by yourself.

For paper you can print on whatever paper you want. I'm using a matte fotopaper from mediarange like this https://allegro.pl/oferta/mediarange-papier-foto-a4-matowy-130g-100-ark-9796962977. i think this is the best option for low-price printer because on glossy paper it will smudging.

2. For pictures i was saving from this thread, for other games from mobygames.com. Of course when the resolution is higher, the better.

3. I'm using a Maxell DVD+R 4,7GB and Maxell CD-R 700mb to burn the games from gog. It depends on what the size the game is. For example DOOM (20MB) i will burn on CD-R, for Mafia II i will use a DVD+R. GOG makes this easier because if the game installation has above 4,7GB they are spliting it for 4,1 GB that you can burn it on regular DVD+R disc. For example Mafia Definitive Edition has 32GB (i guess) and the setup is splitted on 9 ISO's.

In the attachment you have my template for regular DVD case cover. For CD i recommend to use the mediaface software. It's free. https://www.neatolabels.com/pages/design in the section "FOR OUR PC MEDIAFACE 5 SOFTWARE - DOWNLOAD" you have download link with the instruction how to use it. I'm using it for print CD covers on disc.

edit1: i don't think attachments is working :/
Post edited August 27, 2022 by baks57
I have around 50 GOG games that I feel like are worthy of displaying, I wouldn't display every shovel ware game that GOG has thrown at me for free to get me back on that annoying mailing list lol. Truly special games like Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Worms Armageddon, and Postal 2 for example would look nice on a shelf, maybe even meme games like Being a Dik, that would be a good conversation starter with the misses. I do have a 2TB external hard drive with all of my favorite GOG gems on it. It's really too bad GOG doesn't just give you a DVD slip cover you can print out when you buy each game.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction @Stuff and @baks57, I'll try and print out a couple of DVD covers first and see if I want to go through with the rest of the project.
CallMeNighthawk: I have around 50 GOG games that I feel like are worthy of displaying, I wouldn't display every shovel ware game that GOG has thrown at me for free to get me back on that annoying mailing list lol. Truly special games like Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Worms Armageddon, and Postal 2 for example would look nice on a shelf, maybe even meme games like Being a Dik, that would be a good conversation starter with the misses. I do have a 2TB external hard drive with all of my favorite GOG gems on it. It's really too bad GOG doesn't just give you a DVD slip cover you can print out when you buy each game.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction @Stuff and @baks57, I'll try and print out a couple of DVD covers first and see if I want to go through with the rest of the project.
Same here; it's a great conversation starter. I share my kid-friendly games with the neighbour's kids and they are simply fascinated with the face that, when I was their age I had to go to the games store and buy the game on a disc!

The cost of burning relies entirely on what you are comfortable paying; I for example use dollar-store DVD cases because I don't need a fancy translucent case - the covers are the real star. I do, however, pay a few extra dollars for the stiff photo paper as it creates a better quality print with less blur on the details.

(Edit: Now onto a tangent...)

The medium itself is unavoidable; a game like Brigador or Deus Ex can be burned onto cheap DVDs with room to spare. Most games available right now can only fit onto Blu-ray discs so the cost goes up as a result. Some games, such as Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Cyberpunk 2077 are going to require multiple Blu-rays or a high-capacity disc (~100 GB or so) which again drives up the cost.

I'd recommend buying a very good Blu-ray burner (external or internal); it does cost more than a DVD burner but, as the saying goes, 'better to have it and not need it rather than to need it and not have it.'
@Crazy_McGee

Another alternative I just thought of was getting a DVD or Blu-ray case that can store a usb flash drive, since a bundle of lower GB flash drives isn't that much. However, I am not sure the life span of a usb flash drive vs a disc.

You could also alternatively just have a empty DVD box with some sweet artwork on your shelf, while keeping your digital games on a external hard drive. It is kind of cheating in a way, but you would still be able to admire a physical box that way.
CallMeNighthawk: @Crazy_McGee

Another alternative I just thought of was getting a DVD or Blu-ray case that can store a usb flash drive, since a bundle of lower GB flash drives isn't that much. However, I am not sure the life span of a usb flash drive vs a disc.

You could also alternatively just have a empty DVD box with some sweet artwork on your shelf, while keeping your digital games on a external hard drive. It is kind of cheating in a way, but you would still be able to admire a physical box that way.
When push comes to shove it IS about the art. Any way to celebrate that is fine by me.

Those DVD cases with slots for thumb drives? They do exist but cost a fortune.

Now, if someone could get the print dimensions for a thumb drive case like the one linked then you could have your thumb drive AND the cool artwork to boot!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1362792-REG/abundant_supply_company_01blb_single_flash_drive_case.html
@Crazy_McGee

Oh wow, those are really slick looking! Kind of reminds me of a Genesis or N64 cart.
Exactly, i think i will buy this month a ASUS Bluray writer. it's cost x3 than a normal dvd writer. But i want to have Cyberpunk on physically on my shelf.

@Crazy_McGee @CallMeNighthawk i will edit this post if i have time and i will write what materials i use to print etc.

For DVD Cases paper 14 mm standard (1DVD,2DVD,3DVD,4DVD) : Fellowees Neato 14mm DVD Case Inserts x20 (THE BEST) quality of the paper is sth else. I loved but idk if you can buy them anymore.
Second option : MediaRange Fotopaper MATTE 130g x100 good quality, good price. You need templates to print but, they're good.

FOR CD/DVD paper : i didn't find the paper which i like. If i need to recommend sth it will be Avery Economy CD Paper 117mmx4 Matte. Why? The mediarange papers/templates have different "cut spots" and when you print some CD they're always missplaced. It was pissing me off so much. :/

FOR CD/DVD Cases. Amaray cases.

FOR CD-R/DVD+R : Maxell. Good quality, good price. i bought 200 CD/DVD from Maxell and maybe 2 or 3 was bad. I think it's a good score.

For printer : Laser or Ink whatever you want. I think Brother ink printer will be the best option.

For template software : MediaFACE 5. You can download it from neato.com site with the key for free.

More details is in the excel file (money, metarials etc, 200 cases printed and almost 400DVD/CD's burn and printed):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l6KcBrJvmiaThDWD0NgqQl8OO_T052e_/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=105946928806262590505&rtpof=true&sd=true

My word templates : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SC4u0jTpu0wVMVIgRbj9zr1aBFo-0dNu/view?usp=sharing

Some Pictures :) https://imgur.com/a/R2GNp0y
Post edited September 05, 2022 by baks57
baks57: Some Pictures :)
Nice to see some of my covers in use :)
baks57: Some Pictures :) https://imgur.com/a/R2GNp0y
Oh yeah, new feelings brewing in Oddeus! Is it... pride?
Mobeeuz, Oddeus and Stuff. Great work guys. Thank you so much :)
Hi! could any of the greatest artists here make the covers for: Middle earth Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition,LEGO DC Super Villains and Immortality,thanks!
Post edited September 18, 2022 by JackFoster
johnmicheal: snip
What the... best bot ever!
baks57: Exactly, i think i will buy this month a ASUS Bluray writer. it's cost x3 than a normal dvd writer. But i want to have Cyberpunk on physically on my shelf.

@Crazy_McGee @CallMeNighthawk i will edit this post if i have time and i will write what materials i use to print etc.

For DVD Cases paper 14 mm standard (1DVD,2DVD,3DVD,4DVD) : Fellowees Neato 14mm DVD Case Inserts x20 (THE BEST) quality of the paper is sth else. I loved but idk if you can buy them anymore.
Second option : MediaRange Fotopaper MATTE 130g x100 good quality, good price. You need templates to print but, they're good.

FOR CD/DVD paper : i didn't find the paper which i like. If i need to recommend sth it will be Avery Economy CD Paper 117mmx4 Matte. Why? The mediarange papers/templates have different "cut spots" and when you print some CD they're always missplaced. It was pissing me off so much. :/

FOR CD/DVD Cases. Amaray cases.

FOR CD-R/DVD+R : Maxell. Good quality, good price. i bought 200 CD/DVD from Maxell and maybe 2 or 3 was bad. I think it's a good score.

For printer : Laser or Ink whatever you want. I think Brother ink printer will be the best option.

For template software : MediaFACE 5. You can download it from neato.com site with the key for free.

More details is in the excel file (money, metarials etc, 200 cases printed and almost 400DVD/CD's burn and printed):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l6KcBrJvmiaThDWD0NgqQl8OO_T052e_/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=105946928806262590505&rtpof=true&sd=true

My word templates : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SC4u0jTpu0wVMVIgRbj9zr1aBFo-0dNu/view?usp=sharing

Some Pictures :) https://imgur.com/a/R2GNp0y
Great to see these great covers in use!!! Thanks for sharing.